Register now to get rid of these ads!

Went way too far on dash knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

I was having a tuff time finding knobs for my dash that looked good and felt right in my hands. I had made a post about a quick one I made out of 1" aluminum stock. I kept coming up with ideas on how to make them better.

Ended up with a design that feels good and hides the switch mounting hardware.

here is where I went too far, wanting every thing to look right I made an extra knob to mount the key in and machined the bezel to match.

All the knobs will be polished and have 8 flutes cut in the rim also made 2 more to replace the plastic ones on the window cranks along with 2 larger ones for the windshield frame .

Attached Files:

2. Thats some VERY NICE work. Killer idea!

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Looks good as is, I'm sure they will be nice. using a small lathe I guess?
    BTW how are you going to attach the window crank knobs? Screws have a tendancy to fall apart when you crank the windows :eek:

4. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

very nice. You can never go too far.... :D

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

lathe is a crappy 9x20 but much better then nothing

window crank knobs are getting shoulder bolts with a set screw in the knob to lock them in place. I was thinking of turning downt the end and flare it over but I dont think the aluminum with hold up to the constant use.

6. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

That's not too far, it's "just right" here in my little world of neurosis :D

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Very cool. I like the way you think! One more reason I need to buy a lathe.

8. brewsir

brewsir

careful now...I think thats how lil John Butterra got his start!

9. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I think it goes "start with a peice of aluminum and whittle away everything away that dosen't look like a windshield post...":D

that is what Butterra did first-two windshield posts!

and those Knobs are bitchin! (remove everything that does not look like a knob...)be careful, or you are gonna end up with an indy car in your living room.:)

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I wish I could get half of your mileage!:D It's much better to get what you really want than to regret taking a short cut. Some really trick stuff. I'm jealous as hell!:D

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

making the slots makes me wish i had a mill . end mill in a drill press takes way too much time to get them right. finished 2 and had to break out the polisher to see how it looks.

Attached Files:

12. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

the sad part is when the car is all done non of this stuff will be noticed. It should all blend together and look like it belongs there.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Very nice....everyone should have a lathe..........Littleman

14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the key Idea!...Friggin Brilliant!..Thanks for sharing!

15. FONZI

FONZI

That looks great. Very clean.

FONZI

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think that if you had gone to far you would have a basket up of them and would be decorating your christmas tree with 'em.:D

looks great.

17. Green Goblin

Green Goblin

Those knobs look badass. Kudos to you for even thinkin' up the idea to make them yourself. As for the wear and tear issue. I lubed the hell out of my window tracks with some white lithium spray grease and when I touch the handle the window damn near slips down into the door.

Mike

18. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nice job on the knobs. Several guys around here run the key in the plastic dash knobs on their 37-38 Fords .

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Wait till the job offers start rolling in!

20. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

years ago i built a bike with the key welded to the inside of a stainless acorn nut. was great because i never had to remove it. The bike was much less work because the key cylinder mounted to a tab behind a sheetmetal cover. this set up the nut to hold the cylinder in got machined to match the return on the knobs that hides the switches mounts.