Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "lil red" 1965 Ford Econoline PU arrived yesterday:)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe-De-CAB, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

well,
    After FLAT-TOP had posted that Hamb "Bomb" Hauler auction last October... i fell in love with those Ford Econoline trucks and had to have one! after searching all over, i finally found one in Illinois. I bought it for $4,000 and had it shipped to my home in Norcal (2,000 miles away) for $1,000. It's a pretty clean ride. I just want to get it registered, the engine looked over and new tires next. This could make out for a cool daily driver and to truck around my dirtbike when i go riding once in awhile and to haul my '63 BSA to the local car shows as well. Later i want to bag this sucka to the ground and possibly flake it... we'll see!

[​IMG]

It's a 1965 E-100 Ford econonline pickup, it was said that only 95 of these were made with the special edition chrome side trim. You just don't see too many of these econo's around the bay area, i'm stoked!
    I showed Alex from Gambino kustoms yesterday and gave him an idea about bagging it some day, he said it's not going to be easy but it can be done.

thanks for peeping my new ride and best wishes,
    CAB

2. All I can say is Wheelie bars and Zoomies!!!

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I used to chase parts in an Econoline van similar to that. It had a 300 inch six....... ran well, to say the least. You've got a neat little truck, but study it well before you decide to put bags under it...... don't think it will be that easy.

4. Nice find Cab...waaaaaay back in tha day...i had one that we put a 390 behind the cab......THAT WAS FUN..:)
    can't wait to see what you do !:)

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

6. Olson

Olson

Dude you suck! :D

Yeah it's gonna be tough to bag but will be sweet as hell and well worth the trouble.

Really lookin' foward to seein' what ya end up with.

Olson

7. JamesG

JamesG

Nice Cab, heres you something to use for insperation......

Attached Files:

• 169.jpg
      169.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

It has a stock 170 cu.
    I wonder how far i could get it down with just a dropped axle in the front and just bag the back for less work?
    having it touch the ground in the front would look pretty nice though:)
    thanks Rick and Evel for the compliments, how you guys are doing well?
    CAB

9. I'm great ..thanx for asking:)Tyson says hi and merry merry
    Steve..you have a great holiday !

10. Looks good Steve, I'll have to come over & have a proper look....If this rain stops!!

And it needs a Hemi in the bed & wheelie bars!! :D:eek::D

11. Econos are dumb. ;)

For the back, you could probably just c-notch the frame and put the axle OVER the leaf springs. It'll require a little box be added to the bed for the rearend travel...or maybe just raise the floor? I was thinking about this stuff when I still had my van. You can also run the front leaves under the axle, but you'll have to modify the shit linkage a little. If you want, I can try to send you some info,on this, that I saved from the yahoo Econoline group. Let me know.

Nice truck by the way.

12. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Barnett,
    thanks for the ideas and compliment ...and that would be awesome to get that info from ya:)
    I saw Rob's (your old van) when i went to the Rumblers car show in NY last summer... clean ride!
    CAB

13. Muttley

Muttley

Nice score Cab. If you get a case of buyers remorse let me know.

14. [​IMG]

15. Sweet ride, looks like fun.

16. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

It is! ...but the 3 on the tree is a bit tricky to get used to...going from 1st to 2nd is kinda hard and it sticks a bit and won't go into the next gear sometimes:( plus it's right under reverse!
    I'm getting the hang of it and just wondering if the clutch and transmission needs a bit of love?
    CAB

17. If the linkage has plastic or rubber bushings in it, they are likely worn out & will need replacing...My old PA Cresta (english Vauhall) was 3 on the tree, and a royal pain to shift till I replaced the bushings with hard nylon ones, after that....it was easy.

Hope this helps :confused:

18. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

Very cool.I've been looking for an old A-100 pick up to do some damage to.

19. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

thats just the way it is NOTHING IS WRONG, i PROMISE.

heres some advise...when going from first to second...use TWO FINGERS...use your thumb and pointer, and just FLOAT it into second, dont try to strong arm it...just let it drop it. dont think of it as going forward-down-foward...just think of it as moving the shifter forwad and having it fall down easy into second.

20. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Rob:)
    Sweet... i'll try it.
    what about the bushing idea that Dave had in mind?
    CAB

21. Very sweet ride, Cab! Good luck with it.

Joel

22. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

trust me. ask barnett.

23. Sweet !

Looking forward to seeing what you do to it!, In the meantime have a ball Steve!

Cheers

MAIKI

24. Those bushing DO wear out, but more often than not it's lackof experience with column shift that is the problem. Do like Rob suggested or at least make sure you shift with your knuckles facing the windshield...sounds dumb, but it seems to help keep your leverage headed in the right direction. Rob had trouble at first, too, but after a little practice and experimenting I think he got the hang of it. Right, Rob? :D The van was my 3rd or 4th Ford column shift, so I was pretty much in the groove with their idiocyncratic behaviors (sp?).

25. lots of potential that thing looks clean nice score brother hey I have been thinkin alot about you latley I moved so i am isolated and think alot LOL cant wait till the season starts so we can rap

26. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

John,
    good to seee your back on the hamb, missed ya:(
    hope your doing well in your new place!
    Gambino, has Lars car in his shop at the moment getting work done on it for the Cow Palace show in S.F. next month.
    You going?
    Thanks and have a great Christmas and new year,
    CAB

p.s. thank Maiki , Peter and Barnett for the info on the shifting:)

27. 62 wagon

62 wagon
    from DETROIT

That's sweet cab, I wish the A i brought home today looked that good.

28. I've always liked those and that one looks like a real honey! Lose those mirrors though and some chromie wheels and you'd be mostly there!

29. repoguy

repoguy

Attached Files:

30. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks 62 wagon and your A sedan looks like a cool new project, good luck with that:)

Comet... I want to lose the mirrors and try to find the original little side mirrors, not sure where to get them though:(
    Chromies huh? what about those 5 spoke Hotwheel looking rims, where can you find a set?
    thanks for the compliments and best wishes,
    CAB