Register now to get rid of these ads!
aguynamedcj

After rewiring the instruments, column, and controls. Much better.

After rewiring the instruments, column, and controls.  Much better.
aguynamedcj, Dec 2, 2010
    • aguynamedcj
      I guess I should have posted what I was using to rewire. I used a 14 circuit premade wiring harness from ez2wire.com. The harness is originally from Kwikwire.com, but ez2wire has relabeled the wires, bundled and rolled them into functional gropus, and has a much better instruction book available. It made my rewire of an existing system virtually painless, and I have a couple of circuits still available for expansion and modifications.

More can be found at
      http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150269756745441.544995.836575440&type=3&l=340bcf24c0
    • aguynamedcj
      Wiring Harness
      Most of the wiring on my car is 10-12ga. The wiring harness I used is from kwikwire. Go to kwikwire.com or ez2wire.com if you are looking. I totally recommend the pre-fab'd wiring harness. Most of them are based on GM's, so there is some research to do, expecially when it comes to the ignition and charging system. But once you get into it, I'll let you know anything I did if you ask. If you get the same harness form kwikwire I did I'll even be able to tellyou which wires went where.

I got the 14 circuit harness with ground wires. I only had one problem with grounding, and that was due to the fuel sender not getting good contact tot he tank and frame for it's grounding path. All the grounds to the harness are good! And in the grounding circuit in the harness, they all trace back to the main grounds that go to the battery and frame. So my instrument panel has a ground, the dash surround has a ground, the trunk and rear body panels have a ground, the front panels have a ground, as well as the engine block, and frame.

It was EASY!!! The hardest part of the job is fishing the wires up the steering column and soldering the blinker assembly. Or you can just can the blinker assembly and get an aftermarket one. I like things more original, so I did the hard work on mine. If you decide to keep yours I'll give you the pin diagram and tell you how to take it apart and clean the mechanism up.
    • aguynamedcj
    • wunschtech
      I agree with agu, the hardest part of the job is fishing the wires up the steering column, good luck with that!

The majority of wiring or wire harnessing information you can actually use can be found from sources like Wunschtech. There's a super well in-depth article there on the different types, what they're used for, and anything else you'd really need to know. I know they also manufacture wire harness assemblies and other things like that. They work awesome and have great service too.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    CJ's '55 Plymouth
    Uploaded By:
    aguynamedcj
    Date:
    Dec 2, 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    126 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    720px
    Height:
    540px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).

Register now to get rid of these ads!

Archive

Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.