Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

You get a better sense of the sound from inside.

[​IMG]

2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Wow????

3. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

4. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

I'm a little late, but if this is the early rounded apal coupe, it would be worth picking up, a beautiful car.

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Here is another video with teh Harley mufflers driving down the street. Sorry for the shaky camera, but a 6 year old was holding it. :) I just listed the car on ebay.

[​IMG]

6. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No flame.... but your memory is going..or gone!! LOL!!
    "Spyders" were only '62-4, then the Turbo was offered in Corsa's '65-6....after that nothing...
    Corvair engines..1960-69 80-180 hp all had Flat top pistons... only "Smog Engines" 110 hp or less starting in '66 /Calif., had domed pistons. [open chambered heads too]
    "Over Boosted" Turbo engines do not blow heads off even at 30 psi boost..... they bend rods or break pistons...

What your friend most likely had was a '67 Smog engine with A.I.R. and pump...many cars are advertised as being turbo's only to find out they are smog engines!

But if you put Non smog heads on..think SBC combustion chambers... then the pistons hit the heads and could possibly pull studs and let them fly...if the fool driving didn't hear them first!

As far as Toro /Eldo powered Vairs.... lots were built and a few still around.... one was in Albq. for several years...now in Phx. They are fast in a straight line...but do not handle well... Here's a vid of it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    '49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  7. lolafr.jpg lolarr.jpg

'63 sedan with factory a/c, tinted glass and factory roof rack we picked up recently. She was headed to the scrap heap. We put $80.00 into her and been driving her ever since.

8. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

It's funny it took me so long to find this post. 2 of the 'vairs on the first page were mine! Friends of mine owned the black v8 coupe and the Yenko Stinger. It looks like all 4 pics were taken at Lake Afton All Wheels car show, just east of Wichita, Ks

The black one with silver stripes is the only car I ever bought online without driving it. It was a great car and has gone through at least 3 owners since I had it, but I sold it when I found the orange one at an auction.

It was a low mileage, 4 speed with factory A/C. I had it painted '69 Camaro Hugger Orange (was blue) and added the rally stripes. 15s and 16s Torque Thrust IIs. I then installed the 140, 4 carb motor. After a few years of trying to keep the carbs in sync I swapped them out for two 2 barrel progressive Webers.

If you notice the Fast Orange license plate in the back window, I wrote them to sponsor my car. I was hoping for maybe a t-shirt and they sent me a very large box of soaps, hand cleaner, wipes, etc. I still have some left.

I had a blast in that car! The most fun I ever had is when I drove it to Corvair Nationals in Carlisle, PA. My wife and I both entered it in the autocross (she got 1st in her class), the road rally, the mileage run and then was the only one in the car show that won concours gold that drove their car to the event.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Here is a terrible quality scan of one I built for my wife back in the 90's, along with a few of my friends cars. The green convertible was ours. It was her daily. It started life as a 110hp Powerglide car, but ended up with a 63 model 102 and a 4 speed. I bought a whole 63 coupe running and driving with that fresh 102 in it for $300 and drove it 40 miles home. It started a long love affair with the 102 engine... best 2 carb engine of the run in my opinion. We drove it everywhere. The pics are from a stop during the CORSA National Convention in Dallas in I think 1994. corvair scan.jpg

The center two are both documented Yenko Stingers. The convertible Yenko was a stage 1 that belonged to Jeff Moore, and was believed to be the only Stinger Convertible built. Jeff had 6 Stingers then, and a nice Fitch Sprint. The other Stinger was Stage 2 IIRC and belonged to Terry Mitchell. Both were very nice cars. The Maroon 64 was a daily driver also. It belonged to Scott Johnson.

We always entered our cars in the driven events at shows, and most of the local events our club hosted were driving events as well. I've never owned a classic of any other kind where the club culture around it was to drive them like we drove the Vairs. I really miss them at times... I'm sure another one will fall in my lap at some point.

T-roaster likes this.
  10. cs39ford

cs39ford

image.jpg image.jpg My first car in high school. Candy blue paint rebuilt all be me in 1968. Glass packs baby moons etc

11. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Great thread.. I am diggin' the wagons

12. Greenbrier Joe

Greenbrier Joe

64_corvair_van_cool_hippie_van_98970238918173216 (1).jpg
    The Greenbrier as found.

photo_5.JPG
    Rescued

gbj.jpg
    Progress!

It is being named after jebmobile1.jpg my old hound-child, Jeb. We lost him June 30 2014. So I am going to get some art on the nose, in front of the driver, that reads "Cap'n Jeb's Pleasure Cruises." If you see us out and about, charter a lap around the loop.

cptnj.jpg

51dodgetruck likes this.
  13. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

was at Lead East one year and some guy came in with a later model Vair with a 500 ci caddy in the back! The most sanitary install I ever seen, been wanting to do one since..

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

droppedstepside likes this.
  15. Ratrod90

Ratrod90
    from Kentucky

Before
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425674543.789685.jpg
    After
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425674595.722904.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

67-paint-15.jpg 67-paint-16.jpg 67-paint-17.jpg VetteWsh.jpg Here's my '67 Monza 110 hp / pg with fresh paint....'63 Corvette Saddle Tan Poly [ small metallic] and why I luv the color....

RamJet1 likes this.
  17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is what mine sounds like............I like it !!!!

O/T small block against a TH425 out of a 73 El Dorado........and a shitload of fab work :)

gn2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    BradinNC, RamJet1 and Lunatic like this.
  18. DONT STOP THERE!!! More details of the setup please!

19. RamJet1

RamJet1

Indeed! Very nice, more details and first drive videos too, please.

20. lukey

lukey

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436835292.930425.jpg i found this pic online...no idea about it, but it's kinda cool

droppedstepside likes this.
  21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long overdue bump - with some shots of an Iowa (Mitchell county plates) custom Corvair from Rikster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. dechrome

dechrome

Here is a 65 done a couple of years ago with a Buick V6. 425 trans.
    IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

25. doc's

doc's

Seats are from? Thx.

26. dechrome

dechrome

The seats are second row buckets from a Pontaic Montana and the rear is the rear seat from the same car. The rear seat was shortened 3 in by removing the padding , shortening the frame and cutting 3 in from the cover and resewing.
    Originally the color was grey but spray die turned them black. Lether seats were $20.00 each. The rear seat back folds down to allow access to engine cover.
    dechrome

27. doc's

doc's

28. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Here is my 1962 Monza coupe drag racer project. It has a later model 140 HP engine with a turbocharger added. It runs a modified Powerglide trans and a high stall speed convertor. The tiny 13" (wheel diameter, not width!) M&H Racemaster slicks look cool, but are probably so ancient that they wouldn't last one pass down the strip. Hoping to get it thru Tech and on the track next Spring.

Attached Files:

29. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Cool race car Pete!

30. 52lomofo

52lomofo

heres one i found last weekend

Attached Files: