Register now to get rid of these ads!

The resurrection of Rusty, the '59 Sport Fury convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big M, Feb 21, 2013.

1. big M

big M

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments!!

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. big M

big M

Thanks, but I've still got a '59 Desoto ragtop, '58 Fury, '58 Ply rag, '58 300 D fuelie, as well as a few others waiting in the wings. Doubt I'll live long enough to see them all done, though.

---John

4. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

5. big M

big M

\'59 SF Convertible 015.JPG \'59 SF Convertible 014.JPG Due to being sidetracked with another project, progress slowed to a crawl on the '59. I got the doors hung and aligned, as well as painted the inner fender panels semi-gloss bla \'59 SF Convertible 013.JPG ck [still wet, so they look like gloss]

6. big M

big M

Things sure do get dusty quickly here!
    I assembled the inner fenders and core support, also repaired the heater core and reinstalled the heater box. Had to send more hardware and some small brackets for plating, in order to mount the fenders. \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

It's good to see that you're still working on it after all this time.

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

This is the first time I've seen this thread.
    I've seen some unbelievable 'saves' here on the HAMB, but this one takes the cake.
    There is no way anyone could have possibly created a real car out of that rusted pile of crap you started with .......................................................... but FM you did!!!!!
    I am simply in awe of the abilities that exist in HAMB-land.
    Thank you for sharing the journey with us.
    Cheers.

9. She's looking good bud! Been watching for a good minute and always impressed with your workmanship bud. Really looking forward to seeing her finished and driving.

I love me some MoPars!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. big M

big M

Thanks!

I had plans of fitting the deck lid yesterday evening, but it was close to 110 degrees in the back of the barn, and after fighting the deck hinges and torsion rods, it sounded way better to pop an ice cold beer and throw a game of horseshoes with some friends.

---John

George likes this.
  11. big M

big M

I received my second set of coffee cans with re-plated hardware, and had the hood hinges plated also. Greg Conomos had sent me a set of his newly reproduced hood springs, so I painted them red and installed them on the hinges. \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG \'59 SF convertible 005.JPG \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG \'59 SF convertible 005.JPG \'59 SF convertible 003.JPG \'59 SF convertible 004.JPG \'59 SF convertible 005.JPG \'59 SF convertible 003.JPG
    I bolted both fenders on, as well as the deck lid. I will have lots of adjusting panels, but I wanted to get things close so I can wetsand and buff the paint out first.

12. carguy699

carguy699

great work john!! gonna be super sharp when you get er done!
    jim

13. big M

big M

Major body parts are now all \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG \'59 SF convertible 011.JPG assembled, just about finished wet sanding with 2000 grit for final polishing.

14. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

You are the cause of women always being mad at men. Women don't understand why we put so much effort into our projects. ANSWER: Cars don't BITCH!!! Great job Big John.

15. big M

big M

Heh Heh... isn't that the truth, Dorsey?

16. WOW! It's looking like a car again. NICE work on it!!!

17. big M

big M

All buffed out and ready for the shiny bits- \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG

18. Getting to the fun part now. Looking great!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. I have an extra wiper motor for one of these, if you find you need one. Came out of a '57 2-dr ht.

20. big M

big M

Thanks for the offer, Bill.

Pretty sure I have a good one, but if not, I'll let you know.

---John

21. this is the most intense car transformation i have ever seen, it still shocks me looking at the before photos and seeing the incredible amount of work youve put into this, keep on truckin man

22. carguy699

carguy699

wonderful progress john! I watch eagerly for updates on rusty!
    jim

23. big M

big M

Another small step forward, like most of these cars, the front lower valance was crushed flat throughout the center, also some small rust holes were found after blasting it. I probably have close to 40 hours in straightening it and the filler panel, but they were the best I could find. I also installed a few trim pieces and the headlight buckets. \'59 Valance 001.JPG \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG \'59 SF convertible 001.JPG

24. big M

big M

After gathering the best aluminum trim and sending it out to the anodizer, I decided to find the best two grill halves, and clean them, rather than drill out all the attaching rivets to allow for a decent anodizing job. Using metal polish and a small brass bristle brush, it's easy to see the difference. Took better than half a day to do one half. \'59 SF convertible 003.JPG

25. froghawk

froghawk

Wow! I salute your patience and skill restoring that valance and bringing that grillwork back to life!

26. Still in awe of your skills and dedication.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Beautiful work and a worthy car! I made a road trip from Wisconsin to Ohio to buy a whole parts car for my '60 and all I really wanted was the damned front bumper valance, but I had to buy the whole car for it!

28. Dude.............what else can be said here? Seriously. WTF already ? There ain't no way in hell that I would have done a damn thing with what you started with...........that being said..........go ahead.....look in the mirror. Smile. It's beer thirty for you every day my friend. Take the rest of your life off. What else is there to do ? Done it. Been there, done that. Fukn' A bro.....you ARE THE SHIT. Gold watch is in the mail sir. Strippers too. You are the most interesting man in the world.......beer please !

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  29. man I remember scrubbing and cleaning old bicycle parts like that, there are some parts you don't even realize are chrome in the first place until you clean them. she looks purty with that front valance!!!!

30. big M

big M

Thanks for the kind words.

\---John