Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's wrong with original pickup gas tanks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Apr 23, 2014.

1. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Too many lawsuits. GM lost a lawsuit of around $9 million.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, but 60 minutes ALSO got almost shut down when it was discovered that they used a small amount of explosives to "enhance" the videos...

My opinion is the cab is still the safest place for it. I do like the fork lift roll cage for when the sky starts falling...

3. Leviman

Leviman

Get a corvette pump/filter. It's an inline setup, works fine with 67-72 chevies I know for a fact.

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

When I filled the tank of my '49 Chevy with the stock tank on a hot day, if I didn't run enough out soon enough, the gas would expand and trickle out the gas cap vent. Anyone else have this problem?

Blue

5. Never had that problem. At least, not yet. I did park sideways on a slope last fall, just after filling up, and had a bit of gas leak out the cap.

The nuances of old cars. :rolleyes:

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I literally laughed out loud reading this! Holeeeeeee........:p

7. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I still have mine in the cab but like with anything else, you need to keep the rubber connections/gaskets in good shape. Old original rubber connections in combination with time and newer fuels can cause leaks and/or fumes. I am planning on replacing all of mine as it's been quite a few years since they were replaced (never noticed any significant fumes). I am also thinking of making a little shelf unit that would enclose it to isolate it some from the passengers some plus add a vent to relieve any fumes that may collect. I do wonder how people take their tank out of the cab and then put it at the rear most part of their truck expecting it to be safer :confused:. I think this is why you see a lot of tanks mounted mid-ship in later models. :cool:

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

You really need a bigger engine man!

9. henry29

henry29

I've never had that problem with mine, but mine gets 10 mpg, and I live
    at least 10 miles from the nearest gas station.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Maybe someone can check this out but I recall the filler neck being solid in the tank with the rubber grommet sealing it to the body to keep water from coming in around it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I put a few hundred thousand miles on old trucks while sitting on gas tanks never a problem or required any maintenance. Outside tanks like on later Fords etc. Have given me problems with rust, leaks and so on. I would have no problem driving another truck with a inside tank.

12. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

if u have a truck with the tank mounted inside and have never smelled gasoline u had better get u smeller checked .

13. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yep. That is the main reason I moved mine. I just cant stand the smell of gas these days. Seemed like is smelled better in the past when it still had lead in it :D

14. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

There's a section of large hose between the tank & filler neck (at least on my trucks orig tank)

15. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Years ago I loaned my '68 F250 and car trailer to a buddy. He had the truck and trailer both over loaded when he cut a trailer tire sending him out of control into a jersey barrier, then jack knifed the trailer, truck rolled, trailer finally landed on the truck. The truck was wadded up as bad as anything I've ever seen. Frame was bent about 40 degrees right under the cab. The box was pushed into the cab. Drivers door bent in. Roof crushed on the driver's side. The ONLY thing NOT bent on that truck was the in cab gas tank!
    It had a full tank of gas. The rubber coupling flexed but did not break. Didn't lose a drop of gas.
    As far as I'm concerned the safest place for a gas tank is in the cab. I've seen the real world proof.

16. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Another way to look at that is with an in cab tank there are two more layers of sheet metal those strips would have to go through before spearing the driver and passengers.

17. I had a leaky seal on my Dodge Sweptline pickup tank, and replaced it with a seal from a '66 - '67 Mopar "B"-body tank - perfect fit, and no more fumes. My tank is rust-free and perfectly safe. I'm gonna have to get in one hell of a wreck to be worried about an in-cab tank rupturing. How many in-cab trucks have you seen in ANY junkyard or wrecker that have been the victim of a cab fire where the tank was the culprit??? Answer: Probably Zero! How many times have you seen a frame-mount or under-the-bedside truck in that circumstance? I'm gonna guess a few. Certainly more than the cab-mounts!

18. boutlaw

boutlaw

My 52 F1 dailey driver has stock tank in cab, no smell at all, works for me, and my smeller is fine>>>

19. If the inside of my 51 GMC tank looks ok I am going to run it. One less project to get the truck running. My OT 69 Chevy never smelled bad inside.