Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine dies in left turn PROBLEM FIXED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Had this problem on a customer car in the late fifties, confirmed it on test drive. Car would start right back up. After looking at all the usual things we had him leave the car. He had to take his the ignition key off his ring when I dropped him off, as he had all his work keys on the ring. When driving back to the shop the problem was gone. Found that the switch was worn probably due to all the weight of the keys, solution was a second ring with only the keys for the car. Some times the basic diagnostics don't work.

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Had it on an early Mark IV. Turned out to be carb related.

3. Long time ago I had a similar problem on a friends car.....
    Pulled out all my hair trying to figure it out, turned out that he had the
    coil mounted sideways and the oil would slosh inside on a turn and somehow short out the coil windings, shutting off the engine.

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thinking back to my first thought. The new fuel pump. Didn't have the problem before it was installed. Wondering if the extra pressure might be blowing past the floats and causing the carbs to overflow into the choke vacuum ports. just another thought.

I have a lot now to think about and look at.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Mine is mounted on it's side. Another thing to think about.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

maybe GM will cover it with their recall program??

7. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Yep. I concur.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Just the power of observation, that motor is not something that a Cad service bulletin from the 50's would cover and the op did not mention that this was a new build and out for the first test run, so with that in mind we can say that this turning problem just started with drastic results.

9. 01Dudley

01Dudley

Yeah check the ground, but also look at the motor mounts. I had this issue once but the real problem with the ground was the engine mount was broken and allowed the engine to rock and was actually pinching the ground. This only happened during right turns and hard acceleration.

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Its set up for races south of the equator. they turn the opposite down there.

Godspeed
    MrC.

11. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

could be the flux inhibiter. seriously think its electric. wire grounding out somewhere.

12. 1959apache

1959apache

GROUND

get a pair of jumper cables and hook to the block, and frame (metal to metal contact if possible) to a bold or something.

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Good idea and an easy test.

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Update.

Spent some time on the car today. Not sure if this has anything to do with the original problem but when I tried to start it everything electrical went dead. Nothing. No lights nothing. Then it would come back. Then I would go away again. After spending a couple of hours looking for bad connections and grounds I decided to buy and install a new solenoid. It has a Ford solenoid before the one on the Cad. starter. Electrical seems back to normal. All works now. Didn't take it for a ride so don't know if the stalling problem has changed or not. Will update you when I drive test it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Think I have it fixed

Replaced the 10+lb electric fuel pump with a smaller less pressure one. It now runs so much better. Doesn't die in the left turns now. I think the high pressure pump was just pushing past the floats and flooding.

Thanks all for the input.

Gary

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Glad it's fixed!

I sorta had that same problem with my VW type-3 after I hopped it up.

I could never seem to lean it out enough, even after going way down on the jet sizes.

The addition of a fuel pressure regulator solved that one.

17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

ee

Do you know why the Brits drink warm beer?

Answer: Lucas refrigeration!

18. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Do you know why the Brits don't export televisions and radio equipment ???

They haven't figured out how to make them Leak Oil............. Jeff

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard stories about Big Block Mopar Cop Cars that had this problem...
    Forgot if it was right or left...?

The Gangsters would drive around in circles until the cops was left behind...

T

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm pretty sure I saw that in a Daffy Duck cartoon...

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just wanted to bump it once more so everyone that helped would know what the fix was.

Thanks again everyone.

Gary

22. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH......US ELECTRICAL GUYS THINK IT WAS STILL AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM...YOU FIXED IT WHEN YOU CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP AND PROBABLY BUMPED THE NAKED WIRE.....THAT'S OUR STORY AND WE'RE STICKING TOO IT"......THE SOUTH WILL ALSO RISE AGAIN...........You think us old guys are stuck in our ways?

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

When your only tool is a jumper wire, every problem is electrical....

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know it was both electrical and fuel. The first thing I changed was the solenoid and it ran a lot better. It didn't stall in a left turn but stumbled. After I installed the little clear/white "Made in Germany" fuel pump I bought (I can't remember where) it runs better than ever and and a lot is quieter.

So you, we were all right.

I hate it when their is two problems and one of them is intermittent.

Fuck why do we do this shit.

Gary

25. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It's the awful challenge of it all. :rolleyes:

26. stimpy

stimpy

well atleast you got it fixed and told us so hopefully this doesn't get resurrected from the dead threads 5 years from now with a Did you ever find out what was wrong ??? By a Newb ...

27. Did this ever get fixed ? :)

28. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I hope that's sarcastic. Remember sarcasm doesn't usually go over too well in the printed word.

Anyway a good reason to bump this one more time.

Thanks again everybody. Yes even for the sarcasm.

Gary

29. I'll betcha if you start out fast and make a hard left, it'll still do it. I had a 55 olds with one of those Rochester 4 jet carbs on it and when I'd hammer the throttle and crank the wheel left, the engine would almost stop running.
    Jon, "Carbking" here on the HAMB said it was a problem GM fixed with some kinda anti-slosh barrier they installed inside the float bowl.
    Glad you fixed yours.

30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know Rocky you might be right, although I don't remember having this problem in the thousands of miles I drove it before I installed the high pressure fuel pump. I only drove the car a few miles since I made the changes but in that short drive I did take off hard on every left (and right turn for that matter) I took, to the extent of breaking the rear tires loose. If in driving it in the future the problem comes back I will let everybody know in this thread and put "problem came back" in the title.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014