Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods magnesium finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inland empire hot rods, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Hello! I am looking for info on a plating process that has the look of polished magnesium, chrome with gold overtones?? Realrodders wheels has something called EZ Care magnesium finish which is perfect, however they only finish their wheels. While their wheels are amazing and USA made, I already have wheels that I want to run.

the attached pic was I think a Fairlane at the Grand National Roadster show or maybe it was the LA Roadster show, either way it was at Pomona

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Mark
    951-805-0274

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

Would a nickel plate have the same brownish color? It wouldn't tarnish as fast, but would get a little tarnished, giving the wheel an authentic look without the real maintenance of magnesium.

3. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Not sure, I appreciate the input, Ill look into that

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The finish your looking for is Dow #7 and was developed for magnesium.

Frank

5. I think he wants the richness of polished magnesium on any part he wants.
    A plating process that delivers the same look.

Chrome is blue ish and cold, polished Magnesium has a warm gold richness to it.

There's some plating trick that will do it , RR wheels has it.
    Maybe it's a candy anodized yellow on polished aluminum ? Just a guess.

Side by side the difference is amazing.
    Apart, its probably hard to put your finger on why it looks different.
    Polished aluminum next to Real rodders wheels EZ mag finish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  6. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

I had my windshield frame nickel plated and it looks similar to that rim

7. Chuck R

Chuck R

Wheel with Dow #7 coating

[​IMG]

8. Nickel has a warmer look than chrome or aluminum. It isn't as hard as chrome so it will wear off faster if polished with abrasive polish.

9. Different for sure on door knobs.
    Pics of polished metal do little justice to real life, but it still don't have the pop of that wheel.
    That real rodders wheel looks so damn good I want to take a bite of it. Can't say that about the nickel door knob

Attached Files:

10. I would like to help you, but I cannot pronounce title.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

12. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

The RR wheels in Magnesium are just beautiful. The finish is perfect. I had the lug nuts nickel plated, and they match perfect. Check out RR wheels for more information on the plating proses.:D

Attached Files:

13. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

31vicky, you nailed it pal, excellent description of what im looking for

14. Great example 'Vicky, thanks.

15. Yeah, yeah, let's find out how to do it !!!!
    Couple years ago I talked with the guys at RRW about getting that finish on some other parts and it was a big fat no

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Would they tell you what process they use to achieve the finish ? A powder coating or anodizing or maybe plating ?

17. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Blue One,

They [supposedly] patented the process, so there's no way they're gonna spill the beans on how it's done. I think it's nice, but you can clearly tell when it's their coating versus actual polished magnesium. I'm personally not a fan, but different strokes for different folks. I also don't care for RR as a company, haha.

Jon

need louvers ? likes this.
  18. Oh hell no they wouldn't say. Just " yeah it's neat ain't it"

It might not look exactly like polished mag, but I like it better than chrome and polished aluminum when set next to each other. I like chrome and polished aluminum just fine until you hold that finish up next to it. Also the color of the car can either compliment or clash.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If I lived close to them I'd be up for a little industrial espionage :)

There are ways to find something out if you really want to know.

I'm willing to bet that they don't do the finish themselves and actually send wheels out for finishing.

Eventually their "secret" will be out. :D

20. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I have had many sets of mag valve covers (hemi) that were Dow "7'd" didn't look like any of the above pics. Very shiney, slick and golden Dow 7 was / is a nice look.

21. Are you thinking your dow7 coating is polished?
    Do they dull quickly ?

22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

If RRW coating/process actually is patented, then you can find that, by going to a patent repository (usually the largest library in the state - or they could tell you which one is). It'll take a bit of searching, you'll have to figure out the category, etc. I'd start w/RRW as the patent owner. *If* the patent was done correctly, then *all* the spl, pertinent info *must* be disclosed, to get the patent protection. Requirement: you are suppose to give *all* info up, -so's anyone could replicate what was done on the patent (*ONLY* for themselves -"proof of idea"- which never can be given/sold/traded/etc for "profit")- & in return, you then are given 17 years of "legal protection" on your idea(s), which you must enforce via the courts, or you will lose that protection. I'd also guess (read: bet... :D) that *all* the info was *not* released, & usually it isn't, which means (*if* you can figure out the missing info) that the patent can be broken, or you could then patent the missing info & charge the patent holder ( :D :D :D :D :D ) for using the "missing" info if they have/are selling the patent to others for use-for-fee. Wouldn't be the 1st time this's happened. "Chuckle". Go for it, & keep us apprised.

Marcus...

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hmmm...'Shiny, slick & golden', but Dow 7 isn't exactly it.

I think that's the color I want for my contacts....
    What color for the valve stems?

24. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

thanks for all the replies, I got the same answer from RRW....Somebody knows what it is ....

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe it is just the dow 7 finish applied to a smoothly polished surface ?

Like noted somebody knows and eventually it will come out. :)

26. I wish el rat would come back and post some pics or info.

27. I would want to know if it's an electroplating process or some sort of chemical deal. Plated aluminum just doesn't hold up long term if moisture is present as it's nearly impossible to keep corrosion from getting under the plating sooner or later (who hasn't seen a set of Cragar SS wheels with peeling centers?).

This may be viable if you live in a dead-dry climate, but if you live somewhere with high humidity I'd be very leery....

28. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

I live in the So Cal desert, sort of, we call it a "dry heat"....I call it f ing HOT lol

29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

gorgeous