Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How easy is it to restore an Edsel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Mar 12, 2014.

1. luke13

luke13

how long is a piece of string.

2. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Easy to find parts for the most part. Some things like gas tank, trim is 1 year only but worst case you just make a gas tank. Trim on the other hand you will just have to hunt for. Everything else is easy to find

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

For a Grand and it runs? Buy it! then join up here where you will be shown some love for Ford products: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=332 ;)

4. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

Just buy it ! I restored a 1959 edsel ranger here in sweden a few years back and ebay was and still is a good source fo parts. they are easy cars to work on.

I actually prefer four door cars. easy for girls and your drunk friends to get in and out of the car.

Sigge!

5. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

You hit the nail on the head, but you forgot the door handles. I've got a four door and wouldn't sell for anything. Like I said before if that's what he wants , buy it. That was also before the $1000 quote. For that price, all of the parts there and it runs , yea I would buy it too.

6. Add up what it is realistically going to cost to restore it and then price the restored cars. You will probably find it is better to buy already restored. An Edsel convertible would be nice, but I don't think I could ever get interested in a four door.

Charlie Stephens

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thots to consider: Does your friend KNOW anything about cars and /or will YOU be the guy he turns to to do all the work...??? Is his only interest because you have a '56 Caddy and he wants to go play with you...??? Will he lose interest when he finds he's spending a lot of money on the car...???

R-

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also a few bubbles of rust almost always shows up a lot more once you get the car, though I agree with the majority that at $1000 it is well worth it. No he won't retire on the car, but he won't loose sleep every time he wants to take it out either. I would be afraid to drive a nice tri 5 chevy at todays values,(0r Rogers Cadillac) but if I was hit in a $1000 car I would not be quite as upset. Seems like it would be a nice car to cruise, upgrade to seat belts as there are a lot of texting idiots out there..

9. Any Edsel is a bad investment ( but most of us do not build cars for investments) they just do not bring the money when done you can pick them up for under $2000 needing work and restored under $10,000

That being said I like the body lines and am doing a 58 pacer only part I have had a problem finding are dash piece's especially the switches limited number of cars built and very little support in the after market motor in the smaller Edsel was a FE dam good engine

I will never get my investment back on the Edsel do not expect to I am building it as a daily driver figure put $10,000 in it and drive the wheels of it

I figure it is better bet then buying a new car for $20,000 and in 5 years the new car is just worth scrap
    The Edsel will still be worth $4000 or more and I will have more fun with the Edsel
    DSCN0801.JPG

DSCN0866.JPG

DSCN0868.JPG

10. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395087982.233034.jpg

Here is my 59 it's not perfectly but I drive the hell out of it. I picked it up a few years back for $5k. I bought it from the grand kids of the original owners. It has history to the area i live in. its an original car from gomer jones in pomona, ca.I dropped another $1500 into it and to me it's worth it. You just don't see them around much due to them not being very desirable.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. chstitans42

chstitans42

He does have interest in it and does know something about cars. We will be doing the work together, and hopefully yes cruise together once my Caddy is done... If it is ever done lol

12. afueldigger

afueldigger
    from oregon

check out the thread .....1959 Edsel Ranger mild custom....... this is a 59 ranger my 17 year old son it doing it is a in depth project but I have him doing it so he can learn the skills needed that are getting hard to learn now days.....he has come up with a places he can get parts from and has learned the fun of searching........

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

Ill check it out! Thanks!

14. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Tell him to immediately put it up for sale, so that maybe he finds a buyer for the moredoor by the time he decides to sell it. At that price though it's a good deal, and I'd probably consider it. As far as four door costing more to restore, there will be some extra time and cost in dealing with the extra door jamb, but I wouldn't say a significant amount.

15. chstitans42

chstitans42

Came home today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

If you got that for around a $K as you mentioned earlier, you done fine I'd say.

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, looks like it's worth the price you paid...but what's with the plastic on the hood...???

R-

18. chstitans42

chstitans42

IT used to be tied down on the top of the car, so the paint would not scratch. We will take it off for sure.

19. Squablow

Squablow

That was a steal for the price, very clean car. If you find a 57-58 Ford or '58 Edsel Ranger/Pacer 4 door hardtop, you can make this car a hardtop without any alterations to the original paint.

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Really? Is there not any extra body braces in a hardtop vs a sedan? This would be interesting to know about.

21. Rickys61

Rickys61

Good buy... For that kind of money you can't go wrong..

22. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Damn, can you find another one? I'll be your friend.
    That's an awesome deal. Lucky SOB.;)