Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rob gone from Rod & Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddon, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

I'd like to see Morty turn Kirk loose on a re-launch of Hop Up!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I read his good-bye in this months editorial and reading between the lines, he knew it was coming and sounds like he's done with all of it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but who can blame him. He had a good run. Maybe it's just time to chill.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

That would be cool!

4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that motion!

5. b-bob

b-bob

Even if the company sells us those magazines for next to nothing, they can say to the advertisers that xxxxxxxx amount of guys are reading the magazine and seeing their ads.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dear God YES!!!! I just pulled out all ten of my Hop Up annuals and the three specials and been reading happily for the last couple of weeks... It's hard to know how much you like something 'till it's gone. Ya out there listening Morty?!:D

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i think kev will be awesome Addition....i personally LIKE the fact Kev Elliot is a hands on guy with a lot of talent... Those are the articles I want to read ... More like back in the day of Barney Navarro writing articles... I like to read stuff of people in the trenches with us for awhile there has been too many car hobbiest/English majors writing about cars ... I like it when it's a photo of a 32 cabriolet and it says 32 cabriolet NOT model A roadster

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

Bureaucratic incompetence has buried more automotive journalistic careers than all other factors combined.

At some point the concept of providing a quality product that enthusiasts want to buy for a reasonable price gets lost in the rarified air of the 7th Floor...and everybody suffers.

In publishing, as in many other businesses, sh*t does roll downhill, and it takes anybody and everybody who resists along with it.

The list of truly distinguished automotive writers whose careers have been cut short by ego-driven upper management bungling is very, very, very long.

Somebody earlier said something to the effect that "you can make a writer out of an enthusiast, but you can't make an enthusiast out of a writer." Amen to that.

You can't make an enthusiast out of a bureaucrat either.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  9. don1962

don1962
    from Wisconsin

Anyone know if the magazines brass has made any statements? I've noticed that some posts indicate they have contacts with these guys. Maybe they can get some information from them? Thanks

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Two months ago I got the mag cover saying it was my last issue---I'm still getting the mag. I wonder how many more cases like this might exist??

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Happens to me, as well. I'll ignore the letters and a couple issues will show up. I'll wait for the next special and either renew or just go without for a while. I cancelled my daily newspaper 3 months ago and it still comes. Maybe it's some kind of write off or something.

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Standard Rate & Data allows magazines and newspapers to use circulation numbers beyond the expiration date for at least 60 and possibly 90 days. I got Autoweek for eight months beyond the expiration dates. Rate rates are based on cost per thousand (CPM) and determines the cost to the advertiser. Sometimes it pays to send out free issues when it comes to ad revenue!

13. mgermca

mgermca

Agreed, now that would be somethin'.

I read somewhere ( can't remember where though, here on the HAMB maybe even?) that MM was in negotiations to sell the HOP UP name along to another publisher, anybody else remember reading/seeing that ?

14. New news to me.

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I talked to Morty about the time he stopped publishing, that long ago, and he was looking for a person not a company that would do Hop Up justice. As 'small' as Hop Up was/is, it took a tremondous amount of time to do as Morty was Chief Cook and Bottle Washer. Ryan would understand about time needed.

16. lowbuckbucket

lowbuckbucket
    from tempe az

I worked with them both at street rodder from 99-2003 rob was always a great guy who opened doors of opportunity for me, learned a lot of style,peopleand culture. Eric taught me photography, art and introduced me to all the right people. (also I was the only one who got to drive the California Spider.lol) Eric just surprise visited me here in az recently while he was doing a photo shoot. I can only hope all is well for both.

17. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker
    from Seattle

I used to read a lot of car magazines, ever since I was about 14. I learned almost all I know about cars from them. I like the recent years' "real world" trend of performing baseline and end-result testing and actually publishing the numbers. It seems like most tech articles used to consist of bolting on speed parts with no $$ or actual performance info.
    Hot Rod is the only one I still subscribe to. I thought it was going to die after Gray Baskerville died, but Freiburger and Finnegan have really stepped up and made it something I'm interested in reading. Gray Baskerville is the reason going to Bonneville is on my bucket list.

62hotcat likes this.
  18. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

heard more that Source is cutting more mags today.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just saw this thread... Not sure how I missed it. Three things:

1. I don't know Kev Elliot at all, but have heard nothing but good things.

2. Rob Fortier taught me what cool is. He's a good pal... and someone I will always respect.

3. I would not want to reply on a print magazine for my living. Scary.

20. Just saw on Facebook that Rod & Custom Is supposedly getting cut. What's this world coming to?

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the world as we know it is coming to an end.

22. Time Inc. just terminated it's distribution business with Source Interlink, the decision was made due to $7 million in uncollectible receivables owed to Time Inc. that will be recorded as bad debt in 2Q 2014.

Article Here

23. And Rod and Custom goes down in flames, RIP.

24. Along with a whole bunch of peoples renewal monies.

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd bet there wasn't any flames...just the latest editor quietly packing up a box of stuff from his desk...

R-

26. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I re upped my 2 year subscription about 6 months ago, the first couple of months they were sending me two copies at a time, I spent an hour on the phone getting that straightened out guess I shouldn't have worried about it. I will miss Rod and Custom...

27. I will miss what R&C USED to be...not so much what it became in it's later years. It is/was a victim of the times in which we live.

Feel sorry for the people caught in the shuffle.

28. The mainstream automotive print media, is "victim"
    to management catering to advertisers, instead of the readership.

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The next time you complain about all the ads in Street Rodder or whatever, remember that it is the ads that pay the bills. Count the ads in R&C and count the ads in your other magazines. They will give away the subscriptions to get increased circulation, which helps them get ads and charge more for them.

Just sayin...

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rod, Custom, and Hoffman Group?