Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RM-Special

RM-Special

Folk who join a football club ,declare that its their club ,
    Oddly some folk who join a forum declare that it belongs to someone else !
    Sorry but that logic does not compute ,you join , you belong ,its yours in the sense that you contribute ,offer advice or recieve it ,form relationships etc you do have ownership of all that ,without it forums dont function.
    And here is a pic with cars and bikes (I liked this thread how it was, with its broad spectrum view of life ,nothing creative -like Hot Rodding- ever came about by being isolated from other influences) FWIW intelligent discussion is not Drama.
    Cheers RM
    Photo circa 45-46 California
    [​IMG]

2. 4door

4door
    from ontario

ccc

Attached Files:

• nt79.jpg
      nt79.jpg
      File size:
      164.3 KB
      Views:
    • dd56.jpg
      dd56.jpg
      File size:
      493.1 KB
      Views:
    • ju81.jpg
      ju81.jpg
      File size:
      86.7 KB
      Views:
  3. dad-bud

dad-bud

Ron, a great bunch of photos over the last day or so - one thing I noted is how many of the people having their photo taken seemed so happy. Good for them.
    Cheers

4. DID ANY OF YOU GUYS READ THIS? VERY SIMPLE, REALLY....IT'S NOT YOUR SANDBOX.

The General Discussion Forums: An Index & Explanation Of Each

Guidelines: The Hokey Ass Message Board

5. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Some from the other side of the pond.

Attached Files:

6. How cool I thought. It is a newer photo, but the US Mail logo on the door...could have been from way back??? I tried looking for Vintage Mail vehicles, but couldn't find any "A" sedans....who knows, but it is possible.

Honestly, I never thought of it as a R_ _R_ _! I guess you could think of it that way. I was intrigued by the logo on the door. Maybe his area just gets a lot of snow?

I'll be more careful next time.....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  7. This is very Kool!

<header> What’s Hidden In These Photos Was Extremely Important. That’s Why This Is So Brilliant.

February 21, 2014 Stories

</header> The photos below seem to be of a normal, suburban neighborhood, but they’re actually hiding something so important: a military base. Burbank’s Lockheed Air Terminal (which is now known as Bob Hope Airport) underwent a major makeover during World War II. In February 1942, a Japanese submarine was seen outside of San Francisco Bay. Then, when another was spotted in Santa Barbara, the US government decided to protect vital military installations along the Pacific Coast. For the Lockheed airport base, it was decided to camouflage the entire base to look like a suburban neighborhood.
    It was surprisingly effective.
    <style type="text/css"> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 100%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } #gallery-1 .imageAttr, .imageAttr a, .imageAttr a:visited, .imageAttr a:hover{ /* VDS change credit text style here*/ padding: 0; color: #999; font-size: 10px; font-style: italic; display:block; text-align:left; margin-top:-5px; } /* see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php */ </style> This seems like a normal rural neighborhood, right?
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

It’s not. This is what the area looked like before. It was the Lockheed airport base.
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

Colonel John F Ohmer, an expert in camouflage and misdirection techniques, had the responsibility of creating a strategy for California.
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

Scenic designers, painters, art directors, landscape artists, animators, carpenters, lighting experts and prop men from movie studios in Hollywood, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Disney Studios, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Universal Pictures and others helped disguise this base.
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

A heavy-duty netting was spread over the top of the base, with trees and houses on top of it.
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

To make the camouflage seem like a legitimate neighborhood, the military had to maintain the illusion of life and activity on the surface. People were paid to ride their bicycles over the netting (Warren Holmgreen Jr.).
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

The netting protected airplanes, soldiers, and the lives of so many people that lived on the airbase.
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

It seems like an outlandish tactic, but from an aerial view, the airport base looked like a normal US neighborhood.
    [​IMG]
    Agemrepus

Before seeing this, if someone told me that the United States protected its soldiers by covering a base with a giant net made to look like a town, I’d think that the officer in charge was Wile E. Coyote. As it turns out, this intricate and well-strategized camouflage did the trick.

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

10. swi66

swi66

11. HS Graduation Day....June of '64...............Centurion9

[​IMG]

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have to say thanks to those who are posting vintage car pictures.
    WOW what is really noticeable is the pictures with people in it and just how skinny or slender they are.
    If you were to post the same pictures today, they would be so different.
    Fried fast foods and so little physical labor today has really changed America in the weight department.

NO ADDITIONAL comments needed - Just keep posting great vintage CAR pictures.
    Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.