Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 17, 2006.

1. George

George

241 p27-1001
    259 p27-60201
    241 casting # 1330129
    259 #1551629
    if all else fails
    241 bore 3.4375
    259 3.5625

2. Joebill

Joebill
    from Tennessee

Okay, as best I can tell, the number is P27-166183. I'm guessing they were 6's anyway. They looked a little odd, but I can't figure out what else they could be.

Which one would that fall under (assuming I haven't misread the number)?

Again, I apologize, I have absolutely no experience with this kind of thing.

3. George

George

Looks like it's time to punt. If it's running, don't worry about it. Everything but the pistons are the same as the 241. If it isn't running, figure on a rebuild. Regardless of witch it is you have to measure bore to determine overbore, so the measurments will tell you what you got.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rich B. likes this.
  5. Abomination

Abomination

Hey - what's this intake?

[​IMG]

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a Horne 4x2 (or Cragar, pretty much the same thing).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aY1S2HxQEe8/SlJYOdR1B6I/AAAAAAAAAHQ/rU5jUqphyxg/s1600-h/_MG_8989.JPG
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aY1S2HxQEe8/SlJYPQA15EI/AAAAAAAAAHo/kEMbdYv_nf0/s1600-h/_MG_9058.jpg

Might actually be a 3x2 though, in which case it's probably NOT a Horne. I know Weiand made a 3x2, but it doesn't really look like a weiand and I'm not sure who else made one. Do you have anymore pictures?

EDIT! I just saw the 3 fuel lines. Not a 4x2...

Good question!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks!

Figured I'd ask - man, I think that IS the Weiand 3x2 there after all. I feel like I've just found a picture of the Loch Ness monster!

~Jason

8. Maybe someone can school me on hemi's, as I'm a flathead guy.

I've found a hemi, the number in front the valley pan is M8D7-4141C

What is it? The best I can figure is it's a 59 354, but is it chrysler, desoto or dodge.

It has a 2bl intake and a standard bell housing. The heads do not have the water jackets (crossover pipe) on the front that I'm use to seeing on hemi's.

Thanks for you help.

Eric

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The M8D7 listing is cross referenced to a 1959 Chrysler 354 truck motor (could have been in a Dodge truck or service vehicle) with Hemi heads. Often times the same heads were used for marine, Industrial, AND truck applications. Strange listing though... Production of these blocks were actually discontinued in 1958, I believe, but supply often carried into '59. Still... strange.

What are the numbers on the heads, inside the rocker area? How about on the block itself or the intake manifold? Any other numbers? Seems to be a strange number to have stamped into the valley pan area.

Does it have a mechanical advance distributor or a vacuum advance distributor? Pictures?

10. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

I fall into your situation as well, My Polysphere in my 35 PU is stamped P27-I894II I have been told it is all sorts of different sizes by various people. I was also told there is a truck as well as a car version. All online documentation that seems to match up is that is is a 1955 Plymouth.

I am just starting to order parts for the thing using a 55 Plymouth Plaza as a reference. Nothing has come in yet so I don't know if the frustration will get worse or not. :confused: I plan on measuring the bore in a couple of weeks.

It's a cool little engine though, so I am gonna try to stick with it!

[​IMG]

If the Poly does not belong in this Hemi thread my apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  11. 73RR

73RR

Your poly is right at home! As noted above it can be either a 241 or a 259/260
    If you have trouble finding parts just ask.

12. Ok Guys, I went back over this morning and got some pic's, take a look at them and let me know what you can.

The number on the head is 1733463-1 and the number on the intake is 1735875-1.

Is this basicly a chysler 354 block with "truck style" heads on it? Do these style of heads us a defferent style of intake? Is it worth bring home? Is it worth much?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Attached Files:

13. George

George

354 truck engine. Put hemi tech index in search & start reading on truck engines. However...if it has been sitting the way it is in the pic with rain going in the carb (plugs or no plugs?) it may be ruined. I'd say a really low offer if so. You might be able to sleeve a cyl or 2 & save it if it isn't too bad.

14. Well I'm told it was in a barn for many years and been where it is now, covered with a tarp and plywood for a couple years, and yes the plugs are out of it.

15. George

George

If it'll turn over by hand it's probably allright. IF it has been dry stored it could be stuck from sitting, a problem with hemi that sit too long. But you won't know till you tear it down why it's stuck. Could be a thousand $ or so if not stuck.

16. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Thanks ... I bookmarked your website.

17. George

George

Truck use code lead. TR Waters(I think) posted on a Thread someone started that on a blank use code flat truck engine he found the use code stamped on the block just below the driver's(?) side head location on the front of the block. Maybe we can get him to post the pic here....

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

GOOD INFO :D

Friend has a 291 Desoto but he is looking for a 354 Chrysler :)

19. good stuff - all....and 73RR you get my vote for "HAMBer" of the month...

20. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

i need some help id'ing these heads, found them on craigslist, guy says there 54-55 chrysler 331. 1632159-1

thank you

21. BashingTin

BashingTin

According to Leo's book, it says they are 54-55 331 Dodge truck heads. So they may, or may not have that tall water passage in the middle. If they do, that would prevent a car intake manifold from fitting properly. Not without some mods anyway.

Hope that helps.

David

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  22. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Ok, so I think this is the best place for this. I'm looking for information regarding the infamous "A1" and "W" block castings.

I've seen some info on these here before, but it's pretty widely varied. This is what I've heard, may or may not have any truth to it...

A1- casting preferred by drag racers. 392 blocks with this casting are supposedly (and take your pick, I've heard it all) stronger, thicker, made with a higher nickel content, etc.

W- casting found on the side of some 354 car blocks. Its presence on a truck block supposedly indicates a 354 block, even though the block may be finished at a 331 bore.

Thoughts? What actually makes the A1 blocks special, if anything? Does a "W" casting always indicate a 354 block, regardless of the actual finished bore?

Thanks!

23. George

George

A1 is one of 3 foundrys that made blocks, nothing special. The W blocks seem to be truck blocks. Some 331 & 354 blocks by casting #s have the W, some 354 W blocks are underbored to 331, possibly warranty blocks,or...I've "heard" of Chevy blocks that have extra thick cyl walls, supposedly for military contracts, perhaps that might explain some of the underbores, military truck engines?:confused:

24. 73RR

73RR

The understanding that I have developed regarding the truck blocks is that MotherMopar wanted a much thicker cylinder wall (heat sink) in order to provide a more durable assembly.
    Imagine a 2 or 3 ton grain truck out on the Kansas prairie during harvest going 20-22 hours straight...This is the reason for running water under the carb instead of exhaust gas; they had to moderate the temperature.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a GREAT picture put together by "moparmonkey" for ID-ing casting numbers on Chrysler (and maybe Dodge and DeSoto as well). Good stuff! This should help the on-going questions related figuring out what you've got that usually start with "How do I..." or "Where is the..."

[​IMG]

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

Maybe this is the best place to post this. It's an older thread but I'll try. I now own a 58 Dodge 325 which was in an old school bus. The casting number, date tells me that much. Bore confirmed this and head numbers are dodge. BUT there are no numbers or anything on the block just in front of the valley cover. ??? What was this engine intended for. Truck, auto, marine???? It has dished pistons??? Can anyone explain what this was. The school bus was a 1957. Replacement engine??? Thanks for any help guys

28. 73RR

73RR

Chrysler sold alot of over-the-counter repalcement blocks block assemblies and complete assemblies and the 'pad' was blank. The info on the pad originated when the engine was in a production vehicle.

29. George

George

Some times use code is stamped on front of the block below the driverside head, (i.e. to the right of the timing cover)

30. Ben Lester

Ben Lester
    from Altus, OK

Ok guys, I've been all over the net looking and found some information but no definite conformation on what engines I have and want to make sure before I order parts. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Block casting numbers:
    D553-15954
    D553-59475