Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And the 32 Coupe begins...Finishing another guy's dream...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Doug,

I think that interior pattern is called "High Tech Mexican Blanket!" ;-D Subscribed!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Well.....it's all about timing and knowing someone I guess. I'm sure the family was grieving their loss for some time and didn't want to start selling the cars off until they were ready.

I didn't know the previous owner... just stumbled upon the car through my nephew, who is a friend of the previous owner's grandson. Having a real deuce was on my 'unattainable' list. Even at that, I waited a month to go look at the car because my wife was not too excited with me buying another car.... go figure. I was told I was the first person they offered the car to.... but I can't believe none of the previous owner's buddies were beating down the door to buy it !

When I finally went to see the car, I was blown away by how nice it was. Titus came with me to verify I was getting all the right stuff. He was impressed as well. Before I got there, I assumed it was a pile of parts that someone made from disassembling a car, not a full up high dollar unfinished build. The son in-law is not a car guy. Has no clue what the old man left behind and probably is not too happy having to deal with a lifetime collection of hot rods and parts. They were firm on their price, which I though was a little high at the time, but now I know it was the deal of the century :). When I went to pick it up it looked like they had sellers remorse. It had been part of the family for 40 years. I quickly loaded it up and drove away before they changed their minds.

I have owned the car the car for almost two years. All the local car guys I tell about the car all seem to know about the previous owner and the car.... and had wondered what had happened to the deuce in particular. And.... they all of a story or three about the previous owner.

My understanding is that they have not sold the other cars for some reason. Perhaps they have everything priced a little high or are not trying too hard. I heard they have a barn full of 33-34 sedans somewhere.

Sorry man you lost out. I've been there before myself......

Any info you have on the Deuce is appreciated.

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Looking good man! Love the wheel choice! ;)

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D That`s going to be a real sweet ride when finished.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

I lost track of this thread after the first few post. I like the vibe!
    Eric

6. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man did he say chopped black hi boy no chopped Washington blue hiboy nice car!

7. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Ok... 'switching gears'... out with the old, in with the new.

I had a $100 S10 T5 swap meet tranny in the Deuce. My intent was to run it. But, knowing its a NWC, 4.0 first gear, modified input shaft, unknown condition, I decided to make the switch.

I bought a rebuilt WC S10 T5 with Camaro gears, new bearings, syncros, etc. First gear is now 2.96. With a 3.50 9 inch rear end, it should be a great match-up. I'm sure I wont regret the change now rather than later.

Looked around trying to find one. Not easy. Got from 'TransAction' out of CA. http://transactiontransmission.com/ Great guys to deal with.

[​IMG]

8. Bull

Bull

How are you going to hook up a speedo?

9. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

With a cable from the tranny to the stock Deuce speedometer.....

10. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Got some more forward progress on the Deuce. I need to have it done the first week of April for the GSTA show in Minneapolis.

What I really need to get done in the next two weeks is paint the fenders black. I started off by fitting the fenders to see what issues I may have. The rear are original and the front are re-pops. The Front fenders did not fit worth a crap. A little cutting and welding was in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here a few shots of the front:

[​IMG]

I found an original headlight bar that was already dropped. Trying to decide between the Guide lights and stock.... I like the Guides......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a rear spreader out of 3/8 wall rolled steel tubing. It needed to be strong for the hitch to pull the teardrop trailer.

[​IMG]

I decided to mount the plate to the spreader bar. The car is registered with the rare 2 digit plate :)

Hopefully this next month will go smoothly...... I still need to see it the motor fires up !

bchrismer likes this.
  11. Wow, another great car with traceable history.
    Really like how it's coming together!

12. clem

clem

Nice car, re the headlights, stick with the stock as every thing else body wise is stock. Just my 3 cents worth.

13. alchemy

alchemy

I agree.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Do what makes it your car, if you like the guides go with them. the car already has a dropped bar and different rear spreader. Here I thought only fiberglass fenders were a bad fit!!.

Ago

15. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Ok... after looking at lots of photos on-line and mocking it up also with a real nice set of original Deuce lights, I'll put the originals on. I will convert them to Halogen bulbs. Thanks for your feedback :)

16. I think you should stop this project right now:eek: I need a project for next winter and this would be perfect:rolleyes: So just sell it to me:cool:
    This will be a nice car when finished! Good Luck with the build.

17. I really like the cream firewall,,heck I like everything about the car.

As for the fenders we had to do the exact same thing to Dave's confused pickup. HRP

18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Ok... been a while since my last update. I have been working my butt off trying to get it ready for the GSTA show this weekend in Minneapolis. Finally got the fenders painted. Did it myself with base / clear in my garage using a turbine HVLP system. Works well.

I gave up on getting it running to drive in... oh well I won't have to worry about any leaks :) Just need to clean, clean, clean, put on the hood top, and finish the wiring for the lights.

We have 8-12 inches of snow due Friday morning... oh well... thank God my buddy has an inclosed trailer !

[​IMG]

19. 4444Design

4444Design

lookin' awesome already

like the colour combo black 'n green

lookin' forward to your final touches

20. .

Man that thing is looking great!

I see a fun summer coming your way cruising around in this one.

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Turning out nicely. Great work!

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

That car looks great. Can't wait to check it out in person

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Ok... it's done, but didn't have time to fire it up. I was assembling it hours prior to getting it to the GSTA show.

Here are some photos from setting it up. I am more than pleased to how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

Doug, the car looked great this weekend at the show. Thanks for bringing it down.

25. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Thanks ! The show was awesome. I was very glad to be part of it. A lot of very nice cars were there.

Doug