Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , the rad's a pretty good size . The core's as wide as the opening in the "U"-shaped rad support , with the side tanks out either side in front of the core support panels , so there's no real space wasted . It keeps a 5.0 GT motor cool in a Fox-Body car with A/C & all , so it'll cool this roach cool ;) . I like the idea of a large mechanical fan too ... simple .

2. Hey Buddy
    Met you a couple years ago at JalopyShowdown and Gettysburg. Have been watching your build since. Looking good ;), will the shoebox be on the road this coming year (2013)? We need to cruise together to a couple of shows.
    I have not done a bunch to mine, just working out small electrical issues and having flames done. Hopefully a few more traditional things done this winter, like a full Roll and Pleat interior and getting the whole car a little closer to the ground all around (it will be about right when the sidepipes clear by 1" :eek:.
    Love that Ford in a Ford. I still need to find a stock fan for mine, I hate that damn light weight flex fan in mine, it sounds and looks awfull :mad:.

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hell yea I remember talking to ya . I remember taking lots of pics of your ride , and detailed pics of the rad setup . After talking to ya about it's shortcomings , I made up my mind I was changing my plan of using that setup - hence my rad setup I've detailed here over the last couple posts . It will definately cool a Shoebox , even in traffic .

I wish I could say that my Coupe will be ready this coming season , but realistically I doubt it'll happen . I'll just keep pushing forward & see what happens . I'd just like to have it far enough along to drive it :) !

I can't wait to see your ride again , get some updated pics & shoot the breeze again .

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Small update -
    Craig (Legend544) ran into a Mustang dude at a local junkyard last weekend who was willing to give up his fan shroud to my project , so I ran out to the guy's house & picked up my "new" shroud :

[​IMG]

Yesterday I ran out to Perkiomenville & picked up this box of goodies :

[​IMG]

I wonder what's in there ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yea ! I've got more stuff to do - just need more time , lol !!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nice to see Frenching done the good old fashioned way rather than the tunneling so commonly done and called Frenching.

6. I thought it was wired and fired or are you redoing it.

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks - that's exactly what I had in mind - doing it old-school whenever I can .

You're probably thinking of Craig's car (Legend544) that I posted the video of . I wish mine was that far along :( .

8. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

For that lower radiator support pad, is that just the stock Fox-body pad that you made a bracket for? Any other pics of the bracket? I'm not much of a fabricator, so I need all the help I can get.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yes , I ordered new stock Fox-body rad mounts (IIRC they call 'em isolators) and fabbed-up some brackets to hold 'em . Nothing too complicated , just basically little boxes . The pic I posted above shows pretty much what they look like - I don't know that I have any other pics . Here's the pic again , so ya don't have to scroll up :

[​IMG]

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A quick update - I spent a couple hours over at the shop today working on my driver's side front fender . I cut out what I think was the last of the rust , made some small patches & welded 'em in . It was a productive day .

11. Looking good so far. Any updates?

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry I've been MIA lately - having computer issues (she's dead again)

Unfortunately no real updates worth typing . Trying to remember what I've done recently - Got the fender (in my last post) bolted up (a while ago) , got the shifter mounted & hooked up (had to R&R the dash to set it up) , the new driveshaft is installed (Craig was bored one night & threw that in for me - thanks dude) ... and some little crap got worked on & ironed-out .
    I've been focusing mainly on helping Craig get the last stuff detailed-out on his 'Box so he can get it on the road soon . That'll be exciting - we've put several years into that ride . It'll help give me inspiration for my ride . His drove around the block last week (minus any sort of exhaust , lol) .
    I've been "working" on general day to day stuff at home that's been sucking up most of my time except for the night each week Craig & I work in his shop .

I'll soon have some pics of my interior stuff I've been working on . Stay tuned ...

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I can't believe it's been this long since I updated my thread - I've been busy helping Legend544 get his Shoebox on the road & my car got put on ice for a while . I'll be back on it soon . I do , however have some pics of my interior stuff I've been working on . I realized I don't have any pics of my restored (then flaked) steering wheel . Yea well , it looks the same as the rest of the interior metal bits , lol ! Enjoy some pics & let me know whatcha think . The car will be a medium/dark copper color (like a dirty penny) , so I think the gold flake will look just dandy .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rodster500

rodster500

Aha , so this is where you hide out! :D Hey there Allen, I often peruse this site for neat projects and the cache of vintage photos and came across your project thread so I registered in order to see the pictures. Next time I see you I won't have to ask you how the project is coming along (assuming you post updates ;)) Looking good!

Rodster500 = Contour/Aaron/wheels get it? :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks , Rodster . You need a hotrod to add to your collection !

16. Bout time you posted something. Thought you gave up. Can't get any more traditional than flake. Those bits and pieces eat up a lot of time. Looking great.
    Hockey season starting soon but stay at it.

17. rodster500

rodster500

It's on my bucket list! :D

My first 'car' was a 52 Ford PU. It's sitting in a field and if it's not to far gone.......

Guess I'm a hot-Rod-er at heart. ;)

Good to see you and little Marie Sunday.

Attached Files:

18. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

lookin' really good! nice to see progress, your gauges are badass

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My car's sort-of been in an "out of sight , out of mind" state lately . I want to get rolling on it again . Time's tickin' !

It was good seeing you guys too . I didn't expect to see you there , lol !
    You actually KNOW where your first car is sitting ?? Dig it out & get it roadworthy !!

Thanks , Peach . I thought the red would be a neat touch , without changing the look . I hope the gauges look as cool once the car's done . They should be easy on the eyes driving at night , and with the new harness they'll be dimmable too .

20. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Shes comin' along nicely man

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !

To those following , I've not made much post-able progress , just getting some little stuff done .

• I got my fuel tank mounted & new fuel line run , tank to carb
    • got my seat belt mounts welded in (3-point)
    • we ran the tranny cooler lines along the frame & hooked 'em up to the rad
    • I figured out which (dual circuit) brake master I wanted to use , then we figured out mounting , etc - made a bracket & a new pushrod (wanted to keep my clutch pedal assy usable , since it'll eventually have a T-5 in there
    • re-mounted my trunklid & figured out & made a mount arrangement for the small bearclaw latch I'm using

I ordered a disc brake conversion for the front , when that comes , I'll run my brake pipes to the new master (with residual valves) . Then I'll replace the rear wheel cylinders (they're recent replacements , but while I'm doing the hydraulics , it's getting done 100%) . Then I think it'll be on to wiring , & stuff like that ...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Those interior parts looks good,keep it up!

23. Let me know when you get that disc brake set up done. I'm running original brakes and quit happy with them so far but i do like upgrades.

24. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Tedley'
    I upgraded mine when it became a daily driver and its a night and day difference in how it stops with them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looking good there..

DenK likes this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That dash paint looking super!

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks a lot , guys ... I'm tryin' !

Craig & I got together this weekend & worked on my shoebox a bit . We got started on the disc brake swap , and cleaned-up & primed the floor . I should have a couple pics soon .

I've got a review on the disc brake swap - Craig's shoebox has the same disc brake setup as mine , and I've gotta say , it stops very well for a 60 year-old car . Very nice for a daily driver .

More soon !

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I shot a couple pics of some of the progress I've made .

Here's the dual circuit brake master mounted under the floor . I kept the original master in place , because it's also the mounts for the brake & clutch pedals . Bear with me , it's a work in progress . I've got a t-5 setup in the works , so I want to keep the clutch pedal in it's place so when I have all the pieces , I can make the final mods/brackets & eliminate the old master . For now , the custom pushrod runs through the old master with no issues . No lines run to it yet ... stay tuned . If it wasn't going to go 5-speed in the future , the new master would be mounted in front of the crossmember using a Mustang 2 master , like we did to Craig's car .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the floors ... damn they look nice now !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a couple shots of the new front binders :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later -

29. daddio211

daddio211

30. EBW

EBW

WOW.. looking really good ! You are in the home stretch now !