Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Frank Rose '27 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

This car is all about the details. In the cab, the 4 spoke wheel, column shift, and that tach that looks like it came from an electronics lab.

I like the fenders, too. The rear fenders had to have been a bunch of work, with that reverse flared curved section that attaches to the quarter panels.

Nice!

Hope your dad is on the mend.

:cool:

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope your Pop is doing and feeling better. I too have always thought Rose's "T" is a good looking piece. The fenders kinda had to grow on me though.

4. texdesoto

texdesoto

Best wishes to your dad, hospitals really suck. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

5. McTullis

McTullis

The headlights looked edited on the front end shot. They sit much higher in the other photos. Looks better lower IMO. Killer little roadster.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Weird. I just noticed this.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Super little roadster. I would think if you showed up with it today there would be a crowd gathered around it. Of course we're "all growed up" since that one was conceived so I'd expect a rash of criticism about something...........even it were perfectly executed. :mad: Don't mothers tell their kids anymore that if you don't have something nice to say, STFU (or something similar)?

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. pumpman

pumpman

Hope your dad is getting better. It also appears that there is no engine in it, if you look through the louvers I don't see a radiator or from the top a carb. But I love the look of this hot rod.

9. Yeah, I always thought that this was a cool little roadster. Hope things are working out for your Dad.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hot Damn Ryan I'll be saying some prayers for your old man. Really sad to hear he's having a hard time.

Roadster is pretty neat and probably even neater now that it's helping you thru a tough time. I love t roadsters.

11. basicbob

basicbob

Ryan, I hope your dad is better. Just take him out for a ride in Daytona on the Beach, legal for a small fee.

Take one second & close your eyes. Now think of Frank's 27 as your dad's & he is driving you down A1A in Daytona Beach 1951 going to see the Hudsons running the Daytona 500 on the beach beating up on the Pontiac's/Chevy's/Ford's! Now that is a great time.

Just turned 65 & I can still remember my dad in 1959 showing me how to do a burnout in a 1959 Ford 2dr sedan. It was stick on column, maybe 352 with 775-14 skinnies.

Enjoy your time with your dad, Bob

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

[QUOTE
    The past three weeks or so, I've been spending a lot of time in a hospital while my old man recovers from a nasty case of pneumonia. For almost two weeks of that time, he was in a coma and on a vent - clueless to the world around him. /QUOTE]

I spent 3 1/2 weeks in a coma back in '07,the fun part starts when you wake up and try to pull it all back together.Make sure to be there for him on his re-entry to the world.The sleeper has a hard time making sense of things the first few days or articulating what's going on in his head,just be patient.

Now,back to our regularly scheduled programming:It looks like a well proportioned T with a hint of MG.....I like it.

13. seatex

seatex

Glad your dad is moving in the right direction, Ryan. and AMEN,that is one sweet roadster, any color shots? any idea where it is now?

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't see many louvered rocker panels either. Cool little hot rod.

Tell your dad that he has a few thousand well wishers at JJ! You know how it goes, each post represents the views of x-number of members. :)
    (kind of like a letter to your Congressman)

15. Nobey

Nobey

That's a neat little roadster, even today it would stand out in a crowd.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Dad.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Best to your Dad, Thanks for article

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Best to your Dad….

Weird photo……the lights are melting…..:)

Attached Files:

18. What's strange is you can see the headlight mounts sticking up. This appears to be 'staged', maybe the photog said 'let's lay the headlights down here for the front pic so it'll look better'.

Probably the best set of fenders I've ever seen on a channeled car.

Best to your father. As many of us here are probably your dads age and have already lost our parents, I know how hard it can be.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Retouched pictures in the early days? Crazy! Neat car for sure though.

20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may have hand made those fenders but the rears have a real '36 Ford look to them. Could have have started life there...either way you are right, a ton of work went into them. Awesome little car. Good thoughts to your Dad Ryan.

21. Awesome little roadster. A get well to your Dad, and a nod for sticking by his side through it all.

22. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Back in the '70's, when Pete Chapouris built the little green '27 T for his dad, The Frank Rose car was part of Pete's inspiration for that build.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

All the Best to your Dad!

I really like that car, but track roadsters always looks good.

I Think that there is way to few roadsters and coupés with fenders!

24. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The late Jack Hageman did the fenders etc on the car. I bid on it when the Harrah Collection was broken up - by that time it had SBC and bright red paint. Unfortunately, I did not win, as this is my favorite early car.

I survived pneumonia about 12 years ago, just got a vaccine shot last week. It is not fun, but I have no lasting after effects. I hope Ryan's dad does as well!

25. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat little car. It sticks out to me that it has a vacuum operated windshield wiper. I think that's pretty cool.

Send my best to your Dad, Ryan. Hope all is looking up.

26. catdad49

catdad49

Went thru a hospital situation with my Dad a while back. Dad was always the healthy one, but the simple operation didn't go as planned. Dad survived, but was never the same. Hope things are on 'The Up' with your Dad!! All the best, Carp

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Kind of a long story.

In the late '50s the Frank Rose roadster was raffled off at the Oakland Roadster Show. I heard through the grapevine that the winner (a local Oakland teenager about my age that went to a different high school than I) was installing a sbc and had the chrome polished loaded flathead for sale for $75. I bought it from him and installed it in my '47 sedan.

This is only half of the story.

About twenty or more years later my wife and and I went to a dinner party with some of her coworkers and their spouses. During small talk I mentioned my present hobby was building a model T hot rod. So this must have been '79 or a little later because that is when I started my roadster. One of the other husbands started telling the story of him buying a single one dollar raffle ticket at the roadster show many years ago and taking it home and showing it to his very religious parents who chastised him greatly but decided to teach him a lesson about gambling when he lost his money. Well you guessed it he won it and decided to upgrade it as was the style of the early '60 with the Chevy engine. An easy bolt in.

Sorry for the bad picture it is all I have. It was taken off of 8mm film.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I recall that the roadster reappeared a couple of years later, painted in red, white, & blue scallops with chrome Chrysler wire wheels and whitewalls. In the style of the day (think Ivo and Ferrara), the car was identified as the later owner's car, with no reference to who had built it in the first place.