Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Americans were quite the litter-bugs back then. Trash everywhere and a great deal of it from folks in vehicles. Every now and then I seem to notice an increase in trash now, but hopefully it won't get that out of hand. Thank Lady Bird Johnson for all the don't litter signs you see. It worked. The old Indian in those commercials isn't weeping as much now.

Let me tell ya, we was PIGS! I notice here on the HAMB mostly in those shots of the vintage drag races. People just tossed everything, cups, cans, wrappers, whatever over their shoulders and walked or drove away, without a thought of using a trash can or litter bag. It was also extra bad in the spring, after all the snow melted and you could see what the winter months had accumulated. Gary

2. c57heaven

c57heaven

let's pose by the gasoline! anybody gotta smoke?

3. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

A Farmall tractor.

4. roddinron

roddinron

So you reposted 12 photos to ask about 1?

5. Jim Hall Pre wing! chapparrall.

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of when the new models arrived at the dealerships all covered up at night, all the guys would make the rounds checking out each car for all the new changes,---Extinct nowadays!:D

7. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Great post. A time when parallel parking was mandatory!

8. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

I've read that enlistment went up about 25% because of this film, as a matter of fact.

9. 4door

4door
    from ontario

Attached Files:

10. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

That looks like Fonda Speedway

11. Thats a beautiful shot, just trying to figure out if it's current or not. Not sure if I'm seeing a GPS antenna next to the VHF (?) mast.

1937 chev likes this.
  12. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Momma Partrdge? Shirley Jones

13. lewislynn

lewislynn

Oh brother.
    It was getting the message out on television that made the difference. There were do not litter signs punishable with fines along the highways long before "Lady Bird" came along when Ike was President and Mamie was the first lady...BTW we can thank Ike for the interstate highway system too .

14. Bill Ladd

Bill Ladd
    from here

Definitely could be a modern shot. Here's some data I found on the net based on the FAA reg. number:

>> * FAA Registration: N18137
    >> * Year built: 1937 in Burbank, CA
    >> * Type designed by Hall Hibbard, Richard Von Hake, Kelly Johnson
    >> with landing gear by Lloyd Stearman
    >> * Original owner: Bob Six and Continental Airlines, 1937-40, for
    >> passenger and air mail transport
    >> * Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-985 series, 450 hp each
    >> * Max speed 225, cruise 213mph
    >> * Original list price: $39,500
    >> * One of approximately 130 made; Fewer than 10 estimated to be
    >> flying today
    >> * Famous pilots of N18137: Bob Six, Jack Frye, Paul Richter, Tommy
    >> Tomlinson, Aubrey Keif, Howard Hughes, Chuck Yeager, Bob Hoover,
    >> Tex Hill, Col. Bud Anderson, Gen. Gunther Rall, Jack Roush,
    >> Retired TWA Captain Barry Schiff, Connie and Ed Bowlin
    >> * Total number of owners on record: 22
    >> * Current uses: Living symbol of aviation history as Flying Museum,
    >> air show participation, Angel Flight
    >> * Home airport: San Luis Obispo Airport, San Luis Obispo (SLO), CA

15. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

The image was taken by CAC photographer John Mcluskie.I also worked later at CAC and yes it was a better aircraft than the US built one

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

17. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

This photograph shows men building roads on a Good Roads Day, Beloit, Kansas.
    Date: 1914

18. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1920's pamphlet. The colored squares must have something to do with cataloging by the Kansas State Historical Society.

19. 4woody

4woody

20. 4woody

4woody

21. We can thank her for cleaning out all our vintage tin from salvage yards and the landscape from her train trip across the nation. She didn't approve of all the "Trash and Clutter" along the railroad lines. All those old cars looked bad so she needed to start a beautification program.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  22. Thanks, starwalker, the start of U.S.40 (new I-70) in Baltimore still has a sign with mileage to San Fran, Denver, and others. Always wanted to start there and ''go west"! The Very start of 70 is a bus stop, then a 2 mile stretch of highway before the Balto beltway. Used to drag race at night there in my youth.

23. noboD

noboD

I've taken that route to Denver. I was told it would be boring. I'm glad I did it, lots to see of this country along the way if you look.

24. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

I can't believe a "historical society" would rubber stamp their name on a historic document given to them for preservation! :eek:

25. Elwood P Dowd

Elwood P Dowd
    from London, OH

You now I've always wanted to get an old car and start from here in Ohio on 40 and head west until the coast then come back either 50 or 30 and I never realized until you posted this pic that the main east west route's in Ohio starting from the north part of the state and going south are 20, 30, 40, and 50.:cool:

26. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

It does not appear they "stamped" the color blocks OVER the document. Simply placed it outside the document as color reference, then took a digital photo.

27. Yeah it's an aircraft engine, a PISTON engine similar to auto engines ( of the day), and the same era of technology. I just LOVE these big ol' ancient motors, be thet auto, aircraft or marine. This one is 772 cubes, a whopping 250 HP! by

Fairchild. Aircraft engines used mant innovations common today on car engines like fuel injection, overhead cams and exotic valve trains. [​IMG]

28. I believe they are speaking of the purple historical stamp on left side of the first image. I have seen our local yokels at the museum stamp and write on stuff....until I explained to them that the Tucker sales stuff is worth more without being stamped and ruined. They have since stopped. Some volunteers at these museums don't have a clue as to how to handle period documents.

29. Here's the engine controls for USS Ranger, aircraft carrier CV 4 launched in 1933. Before computers you needed actual people to operate and monitor the gauges and controls! This is really 1920's tech!
    [​IMG]

30. Menasco 12 Cylinder Vega-Unitwin In-Line Engine

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.