Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects flathead vs sbc engine in a ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by clips221, Dec 24, 2013.

1. clips221

clips221

I've picked up a 40 Ford coupe that has a mercury flathead engine in it. it needs rebuilt. stock running gear under the car. I'm not gonna restore it, nor do I have mega bucks to make another top of the line show car. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to rebuild the flathead engine or go with a sbc 327 or so... What are your opinions on which engine to use and for what reason. Pro's and con's of each...All thoughts are very appreciated.

2. Clips,

I went thru the same decision.....I traded my 63 Galaxie for a 46 Coupe with a sweet flathead in it....So, my 40 Coupe is getting a rebuilt 327....then, I'll have the best of both worlds...

Murph:cool:

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

4. khead47

khead47

If you are planning on long roadtrips go with the SBC. If local trips, go with the Flattie. MHO.

Attached Files:

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I had gathered all the parts including a new block to build a FH for my new coupe project but being semi retired I couldn't justify the extra expenditure of a hot FH over the cost of the 290 horse crate motor so I sold the FH parts in a pile which covered the new motor and trans with money left over. Would I have liked the FH, dam right but that's the way it goes.

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

if its a traditional rod, throw that sbc idea out the window...
    sbc is a great engine for a hot rod that is more of a turn key easy reliable driver..
    a well built flat head is the same however..

7. Bader 2

Bader 2

That 40 lived till now with a flatty and now you want to be the one to remove its heritage? For a CHEVY?

8. If you want to be different, give people something to talk about, and do the car justice, go with the flathead.
    A Ford in a Ford..I know it's a wild concept, but someone has to do it.
    I love SBC's, but just so overdone in a '40.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Had flatheads years ago that I thought never had the power I wanted. SBC Crate motor the way to go.

10. Never ceases to amaze me how we are so quick to spend someone else's money in the name of tradition.

Pick up a late 1950's Hot Rod magazine, then revisit the criticism of a SBC in a Ford. SBC, Olds, Cadillac, Hemi...all readily available back then. Dress it up right & don't look back.

11. flat 39

flat 39

If you want to open your hood at the car show / cruise in it should be the flathead. If you go the SBC route keep the hood closed. BTW a well built flathead will take you anywhere you want to go.

12. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I love sbc's and have had several early ones that would be right at home in a traditional hot rod as long as it is built as a mid 50's and up example. ;)

But I've enjoyed my Merc flattie with all it's "quirks" as much as anything I've ever owned.

I especially enjoy the reaction I get from older guys when I'm out and about in my ride. Most old-timers recognize the exhaust note and are drawn to it and the conversations start from there. Those stories are priceless!

So, if you don't like being swarmed by geezers and having long conversations with them about cars they owned back in the day, I'd go with the small block. :rolleyes:

13. Ultimately you need to decide what you want the car to be , a true to itself period car or a street rod powered car.
    Remember that while it is often easier to go with the cheaper option to finish a project - it is more rewarding to stay the course and be true to your vision. Do decide what you really want out of your car and make it happen, even if going your 'right' route takes a year longer then the quick fix. You will be happier every time you hop in to bomb round in the old girl !

Let us know what you decide.
    Best
    John

14. When I was in high school in the mid 60s the old ford guys all did the same thing...babied their [our] flatheads along until we got tired of sinking $$ and time into them....switched to 283s, then 327s, then open drive rears with 4 speeds..it was evolution

15. I drove my flathead powered Deuce sedan literately thousands of miles without any problems,nothing wrong with a flathead. HRP

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

If you want a V-8 for dependability and zip , why not throw in a 302 FORD? They do cost about 20% more to hop up,but I've had two cars with 302 engines (Model A coupe and sedan) and they worked out really well.The sedan had a Mustang drivetrain with a 4-spd. and it went like hell and was a blast to drive. Good luck whatever you decide. Mike from Mass.

17. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

The sbc in a 40 ford makes a great cruising car especially with p/s, p/db, and a/c.
    If I had one with a flathead in origonal condition and one with a sbc sitting side by side and had to choose which one to take out for a long cruise thru traffic on a hot day......Well you get the picture....

18. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Personally, I'd stick with the flathead.

I had the same dilemma with my '36 pickup.
    Sick 8Ba that I believed I would not be able to afford to rebuild so I tore the truck apart to swap it for a 283.
    It only cost me about $1800.00 to rebuild a '58 283 VS about $4,000.00 to go through the flathead.
    Sounded like a no brainer at the time but by the time I massaged the firewall, built mounts, adapted the C4 auto (it was already attached to the flathead), and took care of all the other miscellaneous problems/issues associated with an engine swap, It took more money and wasted a lot of driving/fun time.
    I love the truck with a vintage SBC so, in the long run, I have no regrets. But I also love my other flathead powered cars and drive them all the same number of highway miles with the same degree of dependability.
    Before..
    [​IMG]
    After..
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah...
    I ended up fixing the flathead anyway:eek:
    It's not fresh with about an hour run time on the test stand.
    It would've been cheaper in the long run to just rebuild it and keep it in the truck

19. olskool34

olskool34

p/s, p/db, and a/c? I thought this was a traditional post?? I had a built up 59A that was a blast to drive, it was really quick and I took it everywhere before selling it to a guy in Japan, and he drives it daily.

20. Flat head or sbc sbf, build the car the way YOU WANT. It does not matter if other people like it, WHAT REALY MATTERS IS IF YOU LIKE IT! Happy holidays...mikey

21. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Well in 2050 they would probably consider it a traditional build LOL

22. afaulk

afaulk

Decisions, decisions...........there are other options. A small block Ford either a 289 or 302 can certainly be had just as cheaply as a SBC. Several years ago I had a 68 Fairlane with a 302/2bbl, C-4 trans and (2.73 or 2.80 gear, can't recall for sure) it ran very well and got 25 mpg on the highway. If you want modern reliability you don't have to have a SBC. Detroit never made a more reliable engine than the small block Ford V-8. In 1964 or 65 Ford set endurance records that stood for 25 yrs. with the 289 solid lifter engine. I love my SBC but don't believe it is the best choice in all instances.

23. Well said aonemarine!

24. wondering if you are going to keep stock rear and trans or going to change entire drive train?

25. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Everyone has been real civil about this. I figured this question would start a real shit storm. Must be the Christmas spirit. Merry Christmas to all y'all!

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

Both are great traditional mills.

No doubt $$/Hp the chevy wins. However there are alot of other incurred costs when switching to sbc to take into account.

If you were to be starting with nothing and deciding to build- I'd say go 283 or 327. But since you already have the flatty- freshen it up and run that.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

My last 2 cars were flatheads. I loved them and drove the shit out of them, that being said, I'm building a '40 coupe right now that will have a SBC in it. If the Merc you have now is a 8BA style I would pull it out and see what shape it is in. If it can be rebuilt cheaply (meaning its not gonna need everything plus a bunch of machine work) I would consider the flatty if its going to need a complete rebuild with pistons and all new valvetrain cam etc.... Id start looking at mating the SBC to the 40's drivetrain.

29. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

it really depends on what you want to do,you can build the flatty and go every where the sbc will ,just alot slower.if its a hot rod then i say sbc all the way ( they DID put sbc in 40s if they could afford too )....hmmm 85 hp or 300 hp ?

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Can we pick the color too?