Register now to get rid of these ads!

38 chevy dual gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Dec 2, 2013.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ive done a sbc conversion in my 38 pu.whats involved in getting the gauges working 12v.

connecting the amp gauge looks straight forward
    oil pressure gauge looks easy theres still a little oil line on the back of gauge
    gas gauge should be ok im buying a new sender.

what about the temp gauge,there is a 18 in brass? pipe coming from the back of this gauge what type of sender does this need. HELP

top right is back of amp / oil gauge

bottom left is gas / temp gauge

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. kelzweld

kelzweld

Fuel guage works with Ohms, so voltage shouldn't matter. Oil pressure is mechanical, as is your temp guage. That's a capillary tube on the back if temp guage, so it doesn't use a sender like an electric guage. Amps I don't know about. 12 volt bulbs are what you need :)

3. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

TEMP GAUGE IS TOAST. You will need to find one with a good tube.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Oil pressure is designed for the low pressure engines and will not make it long with the 350.

There are places that repair the temp gauge but it's not cheap.

I would be thinking about changing to some aftermarket gauges.

[​IMG]

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

jim carter trucks rebuild the gauges.the gmc engine of the era ran high pressure engine id say i was going to send the gauges there.

i have considered aftermarket gauges but i like the originals, dont want to go cutting the dash and lose the character .trying to keep thing looking stock where possible.

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

was planing on getting it rebuilt.i posted this thread to see what the pitfalls are n thanks for your replies

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

getting a rebuilt one from jim carter trucks

id seen similar service advertised by bowtie bits but despite phone calls i couldnt get them to reply to my emails.let the buyer beware,i wasnt going to send them my gauges when i could nt get in touch with them.e mail is old technology.also planning on cibie replacement lens and bright bulbs

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been using the original oil pressure gauge with a full pressure 235 for 13 years,I know it puts out more then 30 when cold and still working. I do have a GMC oil gauge to put in but I noticed the color is slightly different so I will go with all GMC gauges when I can find the rest.

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

went to jim carter trucks.rebuilt the dual gauges and put a new face on the speedo.it wasnt the first time the speedo was opened.there were dates written on the back of the face. speedo in situ 002.JPG speedo in situ 002.JPG speedo in situ 002.JPG speedo in situ 002.JPG gauge rebuild 001.JPG gauge rebuild 001.JPG gauge rebuild 001.JPG gauge rebuild 001.JPG gauge rebuild 002.JPG gauge rebuild 002.JPG
    sorry about all the photos dont know where they came from

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. If you want to get involved you can repair the temp gauge yourself....Not easy but I've done it and it works. As I said it depends on how much you want to get involved. Usually if there is a way to fix something myself I like to give it a try just for the satisfaction of knowing that I was able to do it....Take a look at the attached PDF

Attached Files: