Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pickup guys, where do you hide your battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

In the 36, I had my battery mounted under the pass seat, which is not a good idea. So I am moving it. Where did you mount your battery?

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Had mine under the seat in the Beater. MOved ti to an old tool box that acts as an armrest. Sit lower in the car and move the battery up further from the ground.

3. Mine's in a wood box in the bed, along with a quart or two of oil, some brake fluid, a bottle jack, a pull rope, some jumper cables and an oklahoma credit card.

4. Rusty

Rusty

Mine aint hid it is in the bed though. I ran out of room under the floor.

5. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Mine's under the floor pan on the 35'. Mounted the battery box to the X-member. It's tough to get at without an assess door in the floor.

6. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Mine is under the bed right between the ladder bar and the 3rd member. It is in a nifty drop out the bottom battery box.

7. BJR

BJR

47 International, under the floor on the passenger side.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

in a box in the bed

9. Mine's in the glove box.

JH

Attached Files:

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Mine's "under the floor" pass side behind the cab. To get access I hit the button to activate the dump bed.

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

on a 34 pick up i mounted 2 6 volt optima batterys in series laying down flat kept them above the bottom of the frame rail and below the floor. did not use up and space.

12. squirrel

squirrel

under the hood, in the battery tray that's bolted to the firewall. where else would it be?

13. Joe King

Joe King

I just cut a box into the floor under the pass seat? Why is it not a good idea?

14. squirrel

squirrel

probably seen too many VW bugs go up in flames?

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Unless you use a gel cell you get some corrosion.

Plus it's a royal pain to jump or change batteries.

16. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

True, it CAN be a "pain" if you need to "jump" your own, or "boost" someone else, but I have a big GEL CELL battery under the seat; (box sticks part way through the floor) THEN I ran a set of cables from the battery to the back of the truck ('41 Stake Bed) to a pair of welder plugs (they have protector caps when not in use) that are hidden under the deck; but easy to access. I keep a set of booster cables with the matching plugs for the welder conectors on one end and conventional battery clamps on the other end behind the seat.

Has helped me and a couple of others without "pulling" the seat out. The original plan came when I was going to Bonneville, and was going to be a push/charge vehicle for a race car.

I use a built in "trickle charger" and so far the original battery is still "going strong" after about 10 years. (I believe in GOOD quality batteries!)

17. colorado51

colorado51

18. WINGNUT

WINGNUT
    from Indiana

here you go its in the cooler along with my fuses.[​IMG]

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

You know Dave, I did that on my 53 and it worked ok. I may build a better battery box and utilize the hole that is already there. If I had a remote jumper location that would solve some of the problems.

20. SimonSez

SimonSez

On my '39 pickup, the battery was in a compartment under the bed floor, just behind the cab. There is a bit of space under there that you can use.

I also put a spare tyre well on the other side of the bed, so the spare was on its side with only the top sticking up above the bed floor (but still lower than the bed sides).

21. Joe King

Joe King

It's not a vw but hey I don't have a heater and winters coming so this should work out pretty well for me...

22. indaworx40

indaworx40
    from New York

I've got a battery box under the passenger seat in my 40 ford, and added a pair of remote terminals (from Summit) with rubber boots on the lower valance of the bed, just above the running boards. Works real well.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

All mine have been under the seat. I used a VW/Audi battery because they are shorter. They even come with a plastic protector to keep the seat springs from shorting out on the positive post in the event that you are hauling a bubble butt.:eek::D

24. we put a regular 12 volt 50 series optima yellow top in the x member in a 40 pickup. we made a drop out plate for it to set on and then put jumpers blow the running board for easy acess.:cool:

Attached Files:

25. Difficult to see, but the battery box in my 32 is inside the frame, under the floor and in front of the rear axle.

It's the black blob/straight line seen between the 4 bars.
    It carries an Optima and no probs.
    Originally - for the first three years or so - I ran a wet cell battery.
    Only had to water-up one time.
    That due to the battery is living in a fairly cool environment.

2nd pic shows the 1/2 x 1" rect tubing battery box.
    It's retained by four 3/8" bolts into the roll bar laterals/seat belt mount crossmember on the front and the back hangs from a 1 1/2" round tube tailpipe hanger bolt in - sorta - crossmember.

Attached Files:

26. Tony

Tony

Mine's in the bed in one of those cheep battery boxes..along with all my 'on the road' shit..
    My seat sit's right on the floor and there's basically no room anywhere else..

Attached Files:

27. Dirk35

Dirk35

Mine looks about Like Tony's setup.

I seen a clever setup at the Nats a few years back (not accessable AT ALL w/o a floor jack AND tools) but it was in the wheel well under the passenger side front fender with a box made like C9's and a rock guard protector thingy. He said he never had problems with it. He made a bracket that looked like a running board bracket, bolted to the frame, and behind the front tire. Had a good 6 inches clearance between the tire and the rock guard.

28. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I mounted a Optima upside down under the bed on mine. The rack swings down to get the batttery out. It couldn't go right side up because i didn't want the terminals under the steel bed and there was no way to attach the cables. I e malied Optima and they said it was o.k. to mount the battery upside down.

Attached Files:

• bat.jpg
      bat.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
  29. av8

av8

What squirrel said . . . right where it's supposed to be for what is has to do, and for easy monitoring and service. That said, my F-1 has an Optima that needs essentially no service and could be placed anywhere in the truck. Still see no need to move it elsewhere.:)

Mike

30. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

:) Stuff a 429 under there, put your master cylinder on the firewall where it is easy to work on, chop the top a few inches so the seats are too low to put it under there, shorten the bed to 41" and you have run out of places to put it.:rolleyes: