Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help identify these vintage rims picked at local auction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logic2, Nov 10, 2013.

1. logic2

logic2

Any idea what vintage or application these Ford rims are from ?

I just picked up these rims at a local farm auction which consisted mostly of the home owner's house furnishings and tools.
    These rims were piled up in the shop and sold along with an old MIG welder.

Paid $35 for the entire set.
    Power washed and has no apparent cracks or damage.

Bolt pattern: 5 x 4.5
    Diameter: 14"

One of the rims is mated to an old Sears Tire.
    One of the rims still has a paper tag (hard to read) that states "59-64 Ford"

Thanks for any info.
    Mike
    [​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

If there's any info on the rims, it will be on the back side....how about a close up of the back side of one rim? Or don't bother if there is no info there, which is common on no-name generic "mag" wheels from the 60s-70s.

3. J C Penney.....

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think that is the old Sears emblem on the center caps. No telling who made them if it is, Sears only sells stuff, they don't manufacture anything.

5. logic2

logic2

Here is a photo of the back side (no stampings) and a photo of the side with a 14x6 - 67 stamping.

Appear to be Torq Thrust style, but would be nice to see some vintage photos of their application.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. logic2

logic2

All good info.

Thanks for the background.

7. logic2

logic2

You are right on the center cap design.
    Just checked out "sears center cap" on Ebay - and you are correct.

Thanks

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I thought so. Steel rims, I have a set of those. Much heavier than all alum. Mine I think are Fenton but probably came out of the same factory. Good score for the price.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting, my 1970 Sears catalog offers that style wheel as Cragar brand with Cragar center caps. Lots of companies made that style wheel, lots of places sold them.

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Interesting thread, and another example of the knowledge and depth of the HAMB.
    Also, you really did well on that price !!
    Good for you...

11. I have a pair of these-steel and aluminum wheels, mine are marked M/T on backside.
    SPEEDY

12. Not sears.... These have the 'styled' J, C, and P if you look closely and were sold by Penneys. I believe these were made by Fenton.....

13. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds good Steve. Nice catch.

14. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

trivia: those caps and most other caps of the torque thrust knock-offs of the era used the same 2 1/8 caps as the original torque thrust rims so if you are missing your original caps or just don't want to risk losing your originals you can buy a repop set for original torque thrust off ebay and run 'em instead.

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Those are absolutely Sears center caps and probably Sears wheels too...the letters are a stylized SR...you are looking at it upside down..I have seen that same logo on a lot of Sears things, clock radios etc...but like others have said...they didnt make stuff, they just sold them. Dont know who made them for Sears..Penneys wheels were known as A/FX amongst others..

Here is a picture from another thread showing the same cap. In this closeup you can see its a S and an R

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  16. Panther, you are correct these are SR (Sears Roebuck) wheels and caps. J.C. Penneys sold the brands Foremost, A F/X, el tigre, and T/T (Track Tamer) for their wheel lines.

17. F&J

F&J

18. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Checked out Macs thread on the guages...same logo...Sears used that SR logo for a few years....later 60s into the early 70s I think....

19. 61Zliner

61Zliner
    from Pineywoods

Mike,
    Still a great buy for front steer vintage street rod, now to match them to a set of rears, considering a set of "old" American 15's I puchased after searching for four years and a grand later. THe wide Americans for the Ford 9" I had already cost about the same.
    Matching the cleaning and resto work so they are similar in appearance took me a few months on the patio and a rigged homebilt wheel lathe.
    Do set an old "street Only" car show Gasser off though.
    Sonny

20. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

those are definitely sears roebuck center caps , the wheels are probably the same as all the places had the torque thrust style wheels .

21. Bugguts

Bugguts

Cool buy. I have a center cap like that, doesn't take up much space hanging on the wall, but I would rather have the wheels.

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I got a pair of these with my project. One is not marked on the back and the other says "Sears and Roebuck" and "Rader". I plan to paint them and run them. They're made for a push thru cap.

Blue

23. oldskoolshop

oldskoolshop

want to sell them?

24. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe in the later years Sears got wheel manufacturers to make a special runs of wheels with only ID numbers in back, no brand names. Apparently in 64 Sears didn't hide who made them, witness my Sears "Crager SS" wheel:

Attached Files: