Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Nice save............

2. Weasel

Weasel

Hemiken I thought I knew them pretty well too until you posted that. Does it have T.J.R. stamped/embossed on the firewall/bulkhead? The only TJR ute I am familiar with is the 5 window built in 1937 (only) and I cannot reconcile it with being anything like the five window doghouse - completely different shape. I know that Stokoe Motors had some oddball offerings too. The other Willys body builders of the era such as Hope and Floods seemed to specialize in open bodies only....

3. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Weasel :D ,

Yes it has the T.J.R. stamped in the firewall. I have seen 3 of these same styled utes in my life time so far, this is the best one i have come by, even the dash looks super nice condition. I had a look on the firewall and you can decode the bodies, this one has the WS and number behind it. The WS stands for Willys Sedan, i have seen a Tourer with the firewall stamped with WT and a roadster with WR, i have not had a chance to look at a coupe.
    My brother has a really rare Hope body roadster cowl, it is an awesome part to look at.
    You are correct, it does seem that Flood and Hope only made open cars form those two companies. Others made open cars too, but not primarily like Flood and Hope.
    Holden was the dominent body because of the amount of years they produced, but they did not have the simularity of body lines that T.J.R. shared with the American Willys. To me the 37 T.J.R. is the winner of the bunch of Australian body cars, but i would include the Hope body in that mix as i think they started with the T.J.R. bodies and modified them to order, that is my personal opionion of course, just from looking over these for so many years. ;)
    Kenny.

Attached Files:

4. Weasel

Weasel

Kenny thanks for the history lesson. The fascinating thing about Willys is that no matter how much you think you know something else always seems to pop up. I have had a couple of utes in my time - a 1940 Holden coupe ute and a 1933 Holden bodied roadster ute as well as some non ute Willys rarities - still have a couple of 1933 roadsters. Rarest one I owned was a 1940 Willys woodie wagon - U.S. built and reputedly one of five, but even then there were rarer than that in the U.S - 1940 roadster and 1937 or 1938 Cantrell bodied two door woodie wagon. Then there is the elusive 1933 Model 99 - chased one but never cornered it. The thing I always say is that when it comes to these Willys is that there are no absolutes and just when you think you have seen it all something else comes out of the woodwork. Your rare find is a case in point....;)

5. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Nothing beats a Hemi Willys ! Wasn't that a factory option?
    [​IMG]

6. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I've got nothing against blown Hemi's, but I think the optional engine in a Willy's only had four holes. They're very rare, seldom seen.....Another picture with rattle canned center section.

7. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Oops....

Attached Files:

8. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Weasel, :)

No worries buddy. I have been in to these things since i was 17, i am now going on 42 and have done many many miles up and down the East side of Australia, these are rare and i have no idea how many they may have made, my guess is they were a custom order as needed for Farmers. They are very different from the norm, and i can garauntee their would not be any Hot Rodded one around.
    You have an impressive list of Willys yourself, and some rare beauties amongst them. The ever ellusive Model 99, that would be good to see one.
    I do not need this Ute, but it needed saving, so it is coming home, i struck up a deal with the Farmer, so eventually i will list it for sale somewhere, because i just do not have the time with what i have to do this car at all yet alone do it justice.
    Thanks again Weasel, i love reading the different things here on the HAMB, and your knowledge is right up their buddy ;)

Kenny :D

9. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

the color of the day was Red willys trucks! one flip front and....

Attached Files:

10. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

one flipped rear :cool: 2 different trucks

Attached Files:

11. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

top 5 willys today at the S O B show i mean sheriffs officer benefit , but i dont think they were lookin at the truck :D

Attached Files:

12. Raced by Red Dawson in the early 60s in New Zealand, was powered by a twin four Corvette.
    [​IMG]
    And how it looked 7-8 years ago. Its said its worse than it looks......... So sad !!!!!!! JW
    [​IMG]

13. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

bummer man :( save it if you can !

14. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Ahra finals 64 :cool:

Attached Files:

15. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

willys/olds

Attached Files:

16. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Robbie cupits a /gas 40 all steel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  17. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

S w c cant get that wit satelite !

Attached Files:

18. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

timeless match race

Attached Files:

19. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

ray kobel thanks pat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  20. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Thanks for sharing, very cool wheels up action :D

21. Mullins

Mullins

The Silver Dollar heading to Ohio !!!

Attached Files:

• 975.JPG
      975.JPG
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • 977.JPG
      977.JPG
      File size:
      79.3 KB
      Views:
    • 976.JPG
      976.JPG
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
    • 974.JPG
      974.JPG
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Views:
  22. Weasel

Weasel

A couple of shots from today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Are they new arrivals Weasel ? :eek: :D :D

24. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Weasel those pics are sweet

25. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

You gotta start them young! My son and his 40 at goodguys southeastern nats. He took home peoples choice in the peddal car/stroller show! We had a great weekend.

Attached Files:

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

It is Ray Kobel's car at Cecil County MD during the div. 1 meet 64/65. And it is Merkel not Merckle.

Pat

27. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Way back when we had the Willys Home Run in Buffalo NY.

Attached Files:

28. Weasel

Weasel

No, they are longer term residents seeking new homes - along with a few other Model 77s - so I can concentrate on completing my other 1940 De Luxe Coupe mega build....

29. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

MEGA BUILD :confused: Holy crap, have you started this car ? ;)

30. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i could look at this stuff all day! wish i could afford one of these babies---soon