Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tie rod end for drag link...giving up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Oct 27, 2013.

1. upspirate

upspirate

I've been trying to replace this tie rod end for 3 weeks.Searched all the threads on here,all the charts, online, 2 hours at O'Reilly's (and the guy there searched on his own time and ordered what he thought would work but didn't).

Here are the specs the tapers may be just slightly off, but the new Speedway end I ordered has the right taper for my steering arm....but it has 11/16" x 18 thread instead of 5/8 thread (.625 x 18) for the drag link

The ES323R that was suggested fit the pitman arm taper just fine, but is too small for the steering arm

The length is 3.15 MOL from center to end,5/8-18 shaft,1/2-20 tapered stud and 7degree taper if you can't see measurements in photo

I'm about ready to have a new drag link made with 11/16 at one end and 5/8 at the other unless someone on here can come up with a part # or application that fits

Thanks for your help guys (and gals):)

Attached Files:

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Maybe you could use a heim joint and drill a straight through hole.. Just a thought...

3. You need to hit a NAPA with a Moog catalog and match yours up,what is the application?

4. upspirate

upspirate

Don't know the application other than a drag link on an aftermarket steering arm / Corvair steering box on a rod that may have built in the '60's-'70's by who knows whom.

I used the Moog catalog online, as did the O'Reilly's guy used their paper Moog catalog and searched by specs to no avail

Would NAPA have a different Moog catalog? My NAPA doesn't seem to be as "odd friendly" as you guys' ones are though , they don't want to work too much with me like the people at O'Reilly's

5. Well I would redo the tie rod to accept 73-87 Chevy 1/2 ton trucks and weld and Ream the steering arms also. These are easy to find and cheap.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. k9racer

k9racer

If all else fails go to a local or national circle track supplier and order a tube for tie rods. they will cut and sell to lengths... Most are 3/4 16 thread and do not use a sleave but have jam nuts. they are threaded on each end..The p/n for this application 3/4 16 is ES 150 L and R. You might need to ream the stearing arms.. Like I said this is a last choice.

7. upspirate

upspirate

I ordered a new drag link custom made to fit the readily available tie rod with 11/16L at one end, and the ES323R tie rod with 5/8 at the other.

Speedway motors to the rescue.....should be here by end of week

8. upspirate

upspirate

Got my new drag link in and installed, but noticed the end has play in it at the wishbone/frame mount.Have to see if it's just loose/wallowed out or worn tie rod end used in the end of the wishbone.

Will be checking all the tie rod ends,mounts, and king pin bushings for wear.

The truck steered good and straight, no "death wobble" or anything, just about 2" of play at the steering wheel

Resurrecting an old build you have to check everything!!!

9. upspirate

upspirate

New drag link

Attached Files: