Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead blower

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodnomader, Oct 24, 2013.

1. hotrodnomader

hotrodnomader

I'm thinking of building a flathead with a blower. I've never had a blower motor before. With a blower you obviously get the cool factor of having a blower plus the increase in power, but what are the downfalls/negatives of having a blower ? Other than cost of course.

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

well,
    let me see where i can start... the EGT's are high, the intake temps are high thus causing the motor to run warmer than normal of your not prepaired for it.. timing is a real bitch, so is getting the plug gap just perfect... its takes alot of time to get two carbs to tune in just right.. if you go with a vintage blower, parts are hard to come by, and i drive mine a lot so its alot of clean oil changes and such to care for it. blowers are a different style of driving. all in all i love my blown flathead. there is nothing more cool to people when they see you drive in with a blown flatty!!
    oh and the sound is great!! mine whistles like a bastard when your lead footing it.

3. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Huh, I put a blower on a homebuilt intake, home built drive system and just drove the shit out of it. Sure, you have to fiddle with the carbs a bit, but no more so than 2 carbs on a non-blown set up. Flatheads breathe poorly and IMHO a blower is one of the best things to do to one.

4. Once you get blown you can never go back.........
    [​IMG]

5. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

No "downfalls", really no "negatives" (not counting the costs of course), they are actually fun to drive.

Have been involved with more "blown" builds a few years ago, not as many today, but no issues whatsoever.

The one item I would recommend is a "girdle" that straddles the center main and ties into the pan rails and block web. Pan still works. I made these at one time but have none available anymore. This is not to be confused with the main cap "strap", it has more support. I have a photo of the "pattern", but that's about it.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of one, I believe taken at the N.Y. coliseum, was a 2x4's setup. Have done single 4's as well. And also a shot of the "girdle" pattern.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  6. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

there is one that pops up on san diego craigslist every now and then..

7. Fullraceflathead

Fullraceflathead

Hello,
    I made a video back in the 1990's called "Fullrace Flathead"
    I detailed building a 296 Supercharged Flathead that I built for my front Engine dragster.
    Let me know if interested and I can transfer it to a DVD.
    I originally offered it on VHS for $20.00
    That's the Dragster and the same "Fullrace Flathead" that is shown in the Video in my Avitar on the left.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  8. bobadame

bobadame

I would be interested in a DVD.

9. I've got a bunch of flathead stuff that will be for sale soon including a nice blower setup...PM me for details.

Steve

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would as well.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382665377.365081.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382665424.592006.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382665612.968533.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382665750.413824.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Man thats a good looking set up hotrodderhaag, any idea how much boost that puts in the engine ?

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I put 3.5-4 lbs at WOT. I'm still having some timing issues with the advance ... Its has the ability to run better once I straighten it out . But it's a good running old flathead

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

McCulloch on a stock engine gives about 4 or 5 PSI and 25% more HP.

Flatheads respond well to supercharging because they have low compression and the breathing is not the best.

Don't go crazy and you should get 25% - 50% more HP without hurting driveability and reliability too much. 5 - 7 PSI.

Disadvantages, cost, complexity, weight. One more thing to go wrong. Keep it mild and it shouldn't cause problems.

PS the above was posted while I was typing but I will let my answer stand.

15. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Sure is a good looking rig..

16. hotrodnomader

hotrodnomader

thanks for the info

17. woodypecker

woodypecker

PITA to set valve lash.