Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think my favorite part of this thread is seeing the evolution of the cars,and the contrast between the earlier cars,and the later cars.
    The two Dons are the perfect example of this: The Chevy is a great example of an early car that was essentially a very highly refined street car built to the ragged edge.
    Dons Anglia is a perfect example of a car from the tail end of the decade,evolved to something closer to a full-on,purpose built,take-no-prisoners race car.
    Both cars are quintessential Gas class cars,but there are some huge differences,due to the timeframe they were built and raced.
    I guess I'm just saying that,with all of the guys on here who have "been there and done that",and are gracious enough to share their experience and knowledge with us,the rest of us are truly lucky.
    These guys are allowing us to relive a sequel to the "good old days". :D
    Thanks fellas!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Very well said, one of the most interesting threads on here.

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome thread :)

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It definitely has turned the corner and become a great thread.

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

In 1960' when I started to build the 37' most of us guys kept to the spirit of a gasser, so the car would look like a real streeter except for the cut out fenders and large slicks and that was the hi-lite of the car

Then you knew that you were looking at a real race car, so I kept the pipes hidden in the fenders for a clean look but when you opened the door & hood you knew this baby was built for doing serious business

But with all racing things start to change to go faster and the gassers changed into the look of Don's Angila and more of a purpose built race car

After 4 yrs and a couple hundred runs I knew my car was going out of style, but that's ok as I had a good time set a record and had a Hot Rod magazine story so I was rewarded very well for my extra effort in building a clean and fast gasser ' Priceless '

Also to top it off I made some great friends so it was a great ride, and now the car is 90% restored and will be around for other people to enjoy for years to come

G Don

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's what's making this thread so great Don:
    Your honest,no bullshit approach to relating things,and your ability to recall all the little details and experiences that some of us younger guys only wish we were around to see.
    Must have been a hoot while it lasted,huh?:)

Scott

8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

I have thought about this more than once ' One Nite at the beach ' that I remember

One Sat nite at Long Beach about 10 o clock setting in the lane for the next round, time to move up and the starter held me up half way throu the gate and I was at the head of the line of cars to race each other

It was a cool nite had my jacket on - helmet - gloves all primed ready to hit the switch, and belts on setting there looking out at all the people in the stands that were close in at the Beach for a neat setting

It was a strange feeling that came over me and took away the nerves right before making a run, just got kinda in the zone looking out at the people looking back at my car and I felt just warm and relaxed like never before just enjoying the moment before I light it off and all hell breaks loose once again

How neat it was for me to be there racing a car I had built and all the nites of freezing my arse off in the garage or in the summer sweating like crazy spending every cent I made for 8 years and the stuff you give up to do this crazy stuff to beat another guy and take home a trophy

Well i'am here to tell ya that it was well worth all the effort as not to many guys stick with the program and get their car done and get to race it as you got to have a lotta heart to stick it out and give up a lot too, so hang in there guys and get her done as there is no feeling like wipping up on the guy in the next lane ' That's what its all about '

I don't think it is all ego it is just breed into us humans about being better than the next guy, and the reward's you receive when you are a over achiever that makes it all worth while

G Don

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great story Don!
    One of my fondest memories of racing in the late 60's was the other racers I ran with. We always had a tight group that helped each other, but when you were thrashing to get things going for another run, there were guys helping out that we never even knew. We'd seen the faces, but they were just other racers who wanted you to make the next round, if they could help you get there. There were so many long lasting relationships that started at the drags. Not only with people who helped, but with the people we ran against.

10. violet springs

violet springs

Great story

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

That one was absolutely awesome Don.
    That sent chills down my spine:)

Scott

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Great thread here.

What about operating windows for a gasser? I would like to gut my doors and get some lexan to replace the side glass. How did they hold up the glass without the regulators? And at least make the driver window so it can be dropped down in the track.

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

I've seen guys attach a seat belt to the bottom of the glass,so that the belt comes up through the door along with the glass.
    When the window is all the way up,the seatbelt fastens to the lower part of the door with a buckle or a snap,and when the window is down,the belt attaches at a point higher up the door,just to secure the belt and keep it from flopping around or falling down inside the door or something....I'll try to dig up a photo...

Scott

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here's a similar setup used in O/T 1965 Shelby GT-350 R-Model competition cars...they were lightened to around 2500lbs for road racing,but the principal of weight reduction is the same,and this gives a decent idea of one style of the execution:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382488902.144244.jpg

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's what I'm doing in my '57... same thing as the '69 Mopar Superstock Darts and Barracudas.
    I don't remember if the earlier Mopar SuperStocks did the same thing or not.

-Brad

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

It doesn't get much more simple or lightweight than that.And it's almost free,too.
    Little tricks like that don't lose much weight all at once,but gut the doors,lexan windows,lose the radio,heater core and box,and use a few fiberglass pieces,and all of a sudden you're 150 lbs lighter.
    And losing weight is just as good as gaining horsepower.:)

Scott

17. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

An old Dragster guy told me 40 years ago "take care of the ounces, and the pounds will take care of them selfs" Chris

18. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Considering all the weight we add with roll cages and safety equipment, we need to find places to lose a few pounds, just to get back to stock weight! ;)

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I have found that losing weight is better than gaining horse power in the long run because it's easier on drive train parts and less load on the engine.

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

And better still:In a lot of cases,it's free!:)

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Cause,just for clarification,I'm a cheap bastard!:)

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You mean "FRUGAL"

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's weird,you know...?I don't feel so bad forking over hard earned cash for stuff like a supercharger,or a stroker crank,but things like alternators or wheel bearings drive me nuts.
    I guess it's cause they don't make the car go faster...!:D

Scott

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Besides, punching holes in axles and body or frame supports looks cool! Even if there's very little weight loss! ;)

26. I bet ya new wheel bearing will make you go much faster than a failed or seized one :D

27. Remember Louts founder Colin Chapman's famous quote when building a race car;
    Simplicate, then add lightness

Of course he also said;
    Money is how we keep score in racing these days.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Speed holes!:D

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

So painfully true....ugh.....:(