Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fly'n Brian's California road trip.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 21, 2013.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just got back from this years road trip, where my son Craig and I drove from his place in Vegas to Sonoma Co. California. We drank a lot of Pinot Noir, ate a lot of fresh seafood, put over 2000 miles on a rented Chevy Impala and visited some cool Hot Rod shops, like "Old Crow" and "Elwood's". Check it out at "Cool McCool's Garage", just click on the link in my signature line.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Far out. Nice trip! Gary

3. I like reading your blog but turned it off at the end of the first paragraph due to your comments.

4. Man,,The Mae West car house is so cool!,,who built it? HRP

[​IMG]

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x 2.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

..x3

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Thanks for the memories, Brian. That had to be one of my favorite trips, too. Cars, the Pacific & oysters...can't get better than that. It looks like you lucked out with the lack of fog, too.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Good times. Looks like it was too much fun. Thanks Brian. :)

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

good post Brian. looks like a fun trip. thanks for posting that.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Gee, sorry you're so thin skinned! :D If you'd read further, you'd have seen some cool stuff, and gotten to see "Old Crow Speed Shop" and their fantastic collection, and Larry Wood's collection of real life "Hot Wheels" cars. Although, you might have been turned off by the LS engines Old Crow uses...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  11. Do you have any more pics of the dodge coe? It has a quite different bed on it that I would like to see more of.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like you take a lot of fun trips.

FYI: the station with all the signs on the Lincoln Highway is in Belle Plaine, not Belle Isle, and the "somewhere" station is in Colo, Iowa.

13. x's 4, and I'm not thinned skinned.

14. TexasDart

TexasDart

but don't make any opposing comment it will get deleted...I will choose not to click on the link. Just get your facts straight!

15. I thought the first paragraph was quite honest, some people must have wounded pride. Too bad you guys didn't read further, it sounds like Brian had a great trip!

16. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

X5.

After that kind of intro, what would you expect?

17. I'm not thinned skinned, But Why does politics have to be brought up? HRP

18. It should not have.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You are correct sir. :D It's easy to forget where one was several days or weeks after a 2 week road trip. I got a very nice email from the proprietor of the joint in Colo pointing that out. Hey, at least I got the right state!

And, Belle Isle is mentioned more here in MI than Belle Plain, so please forgive the error.

Brian

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool trip Brian!

21. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

i found the comments in the blog to be quite honest, stress on the blog. he can be as political as he wants, on his blog.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I don't think a builder is credited. It was provided to her by the studio, sot they may have had set builders do it, or may have purchased it completed, as "House Cars" were fairly popular at the time.

Brian

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I don't, the "Old Crow" shop is even more crowed than mine! It 's a welders body, very unusual as ALL the edges and corners are radiused, doors flush fit, meticulously built, considering it's utilitarian origin. Old Crow has TONS of cool old stuff, I'd recommend a visit if you're ever close to Burbank CA. I'd wanted to visit Hollywood Hot Rods and check out the
    '59 'Bird they're building (a lot like my own project, which you can see here in the Traditional Custom forum), but they were closed on Saturday when we were in town. Old Crow was a real treat, we weren't disappointed!

Brian

24. Thanks, I tried to look them up online, but didn't get anywhere. I have a 41 dodge coe that I am planning to build a tow truck styled bed, but then I saw this one, may change my plans.
    I also have a 47 DT 509SC, going to keep the herc in it although an ls would be cool.

25. Thanks for sharing your trip. I enjoyed reading about it. It did make me a little hungry though :)

26. mlagusis

mlagusis

Flynbrian48,

I would like to see your blog post from the trip. Sounds like a good time. Where can I find it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. There is a link in the first post in this thread.

28. mlagusis

mlagusis

I just looked again and can't see it. I'm looking on my iPhone.

29. mlagusis

mlagusis

Ok...figured out how to do it.