Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flames on a custom ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hemi j, Sep 28, 2013.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Coby, I agree with you. I don't know that the Chev is better with flames, but it does need something to embellish that barren landscape on the lower side.

2. Very, very, very few of us are 100% traditional to a particular era.

I personally am not a fan of flames on a custom only because it's more of a hot rod thing to me. I like the long sleek lines of a chopped, de-chromed custom. To me it's more about the body lines and creative details that would otherwise compete with a flamed paint job. But I like the plainer older stuff.

[​IMG]

3. froghawk

froghawk

Occasionally a truly great custom was all about the flames...

[​IMG]

For those that don't already know this car... Jack James' '57 Buick Special with flames by the late great Larry Watson. Flames on a custom... hell, yeah!

4. The G00SE

The G00SE

Its all personal taste . If you don't like flames it ain't nothing but a thing...I don't want to see flames on every car but I do love some flames . That gold business coupe is f$@&ing sweet same with that merc . . You can definitely screw up a flame job too. I was at a local show a few years back and saw a custom 49 merc with a "real" flame job and I puked in my mouth . Although I think the real flames are a cool art form they would look better on a frazeta painting or some new puky diesel not on a old car.. personal taste..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 'Mo

'Mo

Barris' 'wooden shoe' parts chaser appeared in R&C in 1954, as a How-to on flame painting.
    It was also used on the cover of this much more recent publication.

[​IMG]

6. If they work with the lines of the car great. If it's a hack job that looks like a big sticker and does nothing but work against the lines of the car then why bother. There is no standing rule that says flames are just for hot rods, but they should enhance the cars look. Otherwise what's the point of going through the effort?

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. Model T1

Model T1

Okay I didn't bother to read more than a few pages.
    Simply put--if we gotta explain you wouldn't understand. Kinda like that goofy dog stickin his head out a window biker thing.

9. My Merc seems to make it's way into every thread on flames. I have been told many times,"I normally don't like flames,but I like yours". That's cool,but I don't usually like flames either. I'm too picky. People think cause I flamed MY Merc,that I like flames on EVERYTHING! Nope....I planned out my flames for quite some time,borrowing ideas from 4 different cars,before getting it done. I was on the fence about the color or colors,how much,on the roof or not,the trunk or not,flake/no flake,etc.
    Made up my mind at the last minute.
    Flames on a 60's era car don't work for me. I don't like flames and scallops mixed. I'm not a flame expert. I wasn't going for any certain Era,50's,etc. I never expected it to be considered "Traditional",or claimed it to be. I just wanted to give it a signature,so people would know it's mine.
    The first show I took my Merc to,Primer Nats,there were five other chopped black Mercs there. That's when I decided to flame it.
    Also...There has only been a few Hot Rods with flames I liked. California Kid,Dean Jeffries Sedan,Tom McMullen Roadster. I wouldn't flame my Hot Rod,when I get another one.
    Thank you,to the guys who have mentioned my Merc. I never expected everybody to like them! Many guys I know HATE flames,haha. That's okay too. To each his own....

Attached Files:

10. Now those are true '50s style flames. But ugly in my opinion but they are a good examlpe of what was being done at the time.

11. Model T1

Model T1

There's a flamed Mercury in this photo?
    [​IMG] Yea, I finally see it. Love it and agree there are already a lot not flamed. Now move the Merc. It's distracting my view!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  12. This has been the biggest thread on the new custom portion of the board. I really don't understand why either. ......if you like flames then paint them on your car,if you don't then forget about it. Were there flames in the fiftys ? Yes there were. I don't get the huge discussion.

13. Flames well done and with thought are great, but flames done because some one wants to follow the trend, forget them.

14. Flames only look good if done corectly.

15. Flathead Jack's Merc. Just try and claim that it doesn't look good. :)

Attached Files:

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've learned that there are people who really can't make up their mind about stuff. Or maybe it's an acceptance thing. But if a persons doing research, then this is a good place to start.

Anyway, I got to see some nice flames in this thread and some were just bad. IMO, Watson missed a few times, but no one's perfect.

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

For me it's about the evolution of the flame and photographic proof of what was happening style wise in the era's were interested in here. I don't give a shit who likes what, I'm just interested in the facts. I'm digging through Riksters link now. Regardless of my build style I just really enjoy the history of all things traditional. Flames on a custom seem natural to me, even though I won't have them on my ride.

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Once in a while I think about flames on my '40----then I have another beer and get over it.

19. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

It all depends some KUSTOMS look good with flames and most do not. A real good flame paint job are far and few ...

20. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Flames:.some of the best, award wining customs didn't have them..I wonder if that's why they were awarded..now we have paint on pinstripes like wise with flames.you also see them on the ole ladys panties.I think there tacky...."keep it simple stupid"

21. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Lmao

22. "..now we have paint on pinstripes like wise with flames."
    WTF! Not sure what you are trying to say,but this sure doesn't make sense.
    Who cares about awards! Maybe......some people just like flames!

23. Model T1

Model T1

Even the famous stripers and flame painters would tell ya both sides don't have to match. By the time we get around to the other side we forgot.
    Flames and stripes were first used mostly to hide defects and runs in a paint job.

24. DrJ

DrJ

I don;t think flames belong on a Kustom.
    A Custom maybe but they are more a hotrod thing, and definitely not a Kustom thing.
    You do know what I mean when differing Custom and Kustom?

25. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Don't take it to serious. .bob!..I know your car has flames and you don't like folks riping on them, nor do I expect you to understand what I was trying to get across.but to further explain my self I was talking bout cars like the Hirohata (typo), Ala cart and so on.im in to traditional custom with a plain image. I care about awards, and if you dont then thats your pc of the cake. To each his own. Its an open forum and I speake my mind as i feel. Is that clear enough for you?, or do i need to hit it with windex?

26. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I second that emotion...custom with a "K"...; )

27. Bob Scott

Bob Scott
    from St. Louis

And then there was lace painting! In their finest hour I still wanted to shove a hot poker in my eyes.

28. Sorry to burst your guys' bubble but the K isn't what it used to be.It is now used on every minitruck / import car club. Any of the so called reality t.v. shows all use the K these days. I think it has kind of become embarasing if you own a period style custom. Also....there were plenty of shops building cars in the early days that didn't use k when talking about the word Custom. A lot of guys I know these days associate the K with a modern sled.....layed frame,etc. Not really important but just thought I would bring it up.

29. RARE57

RARE57

"Now... THAT'S FUNNY" !!

30. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

it bothers me when people say that flames were all primitive in the 50's. also when people say things don't belong here or there. there were transitional customs between every era, and nobody really builds these. they only build the peak seasons for each phase. sometimes i see a custom and think that it totally fits the neglected realm. remnants of one style carried into another, and that is AWESOME. parking lot of the roadster show circa 19?? ...rad. this is from the book custom style.
    [​IMG]