Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Thanks! There has been a LOT of learning and redoing things to get to where I am now. :)

Well a couple of weeks for an update has become a couple of months.:( I have been tied up with other things most of the summer but I have been back on some body work on the cab the last little while so I hope to have it ready for primer for our long weekend coming up in two weeks so hopefully I will have some updates to post then.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

can't wait, I thought I was the only one getting nothing done:D

3. that bed came out nice

4. Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Well finally a bit of an update. I have slowly been plugging away on the body work on the cab and sprayed some primer tonight. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Well that looks pretty good!

7. Thanks!

Here is a little more. I used a van seat and was missing the original surround so a little sheet metal, bead roller, shrinker stretcher and voila one side done.

Can't seem to get pictures to post from the app so here it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  8. And both sides done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Looks great, my friend and I have talked about trying to do the interior in my car.

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Hey, is that the FinishSand? For curiosity sake, what size tip did you use? When I sprayed mine I used a 2.0 tip and seemed ok, I used the 2.5 for the Superbuild and it put on a real nice juicy layer!

11. Thanks John. The upholstery work takes a ton of planning and I found parts of it a bit nerve racking. After putting in so much time and work on certain pieces it is worry some that it can all be for not if you screw up on the last piece. Unlike metal when you screw up with a piece of vinyl it is start over time as there is no way to fill the mis-sewn holes.

Yup it is and I used a 1.8 tip which is the biggest I have right now. Worked fine and has a pretty smooth texture to it. I need to find a cheap gun with a bigger tip though as I want to spray a coat of Superbuild over this as well and pushing it through a 1.8 will be like trying to blow a golf ball through a straw.:D

12. I have had a post going over on Riksters Custom Car Chronicle Site about the color I am hoping to paint my truck. I am trying to find the information for the original "Green Gold" color the Ayala's used on the Bettancourt and Welch Merc's. The current owner of the Welch Merc has the information from when the car was restored and is supposed to be getting it for me but in the mean time I have been searching for similar colors and had a spray out card done of one I thought might be close. These are crappy cell phone pictures but they give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the original color on Wally's car during the restoration for comparison.
    [​IMG]

13. That is like my all time favorite car paint, I still wonder if I should have painted my car up in that hue! :)

Do it!!!

14. HAHA John I think if you look back you will see I told you that you should paint it this color when Rik did the photoshops for colors before you painted it.:D

15. You did and I really love that color. Can't wait to see how your truck looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

16. Well I had been held up on my seat due to the fact that I was having a hard time finding decent upholstery adhesive but I was finally able to find some and got some more done on it. It is not quite finished yet and it is definitely not perfect but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out given it was my first attempt. So here is how it sits now.

[​IMG]

17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Woah, seeing that original coat of paint under there gave me goosebumps.
    So much history!

I can't wait to see your truck done!!

You're taking much too long, its time to cut some corners.. haha

18. Wow very nice job on the seat.

19. Haha I can't wait to see it done either. I am cutting as many corners as I can stand to cut at this point and winter is coming fast so I am trying to get as much done before it gets too cold as I can. It is getting there SLOWLY.:(

Thanks John I appreciate it.

20. Thanks Jim, your help was a big part of my success!

21. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

I really like your truck its turning out very nice, I have a real late 36 that im finishing up/ changing a few things. I will be following your build.

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great progress --- looking good!!

Malcolm

23. Thanks guys!

24. bestbomb38

bestbomb38
    from So Cal.

P1000414.jpg

P1000415.jpg you do nice work:

P1000416.jpg

P1000428.jpg

25. K, I hear you on slow, my 36 has been apart for too long. I first built it in the late 70's and pulled it apart for a "refresh" and got carried away. your truck is looking sweet, the color you chose reminds me of a Testors model paint color called LIME GOLD METALLIC that I used to paint alot of my model cars way back when. Im hoping to get my truck done by spring as soon as my son gets his Vw bus done and out of the garage. When I first bought my 36 they were very scarce but now it almost seems like everyone has one. Mitch.

26. Thanks guys! Nothing new to report. I have been doing some more body work so other than posting a picture of a pile of primer dust on the floor nothing to exciting to show. I should be working on the carpets soon so I will post some pictures once I get some of that done.

27. Quick update on a few things I have been working on.

First I had to remake the inner fender panels due to the Mustang II. Once I did that I realized that I needed to get some ventilation going as well so this is what I did. First I cut the louvers out of the original panel.
    [​IMG]

Then shortened them according to the area I had to work with:
    [​IMG]

I then took the various length louvers I made and welded them into a new sheet of metal and then cut a hole in the side panel I had made bead rolled a recess for the panel to sit in and bolted it on.
    [​IMG]

I have also been working on a steel headliner panel. It is slowly coming together. The openings are for pleated inserts like my seats.
    [​IMG]

So that is where I am at now.

28. Cool! Good to see progress