Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ Wiring not EZ at all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

OK, so you decide to go into business selling wiring harnesses. You pick a catchy name like EZ. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out why my turn signals don't work with a name like that right?

But... You refuse to supply anyone a schematic. Instead supply a booklet that looks like it was done by a 5 year old and has no info to connect wire names printed on the wires with what is in the fuse block or how those wires are connected.

Instead you require customers to call a help line that you almost never answer, maybe like once out of five calls. Same goes for the front desk. Instead you ask customers to leave messages that you NEVER return.

That's it for me. I will NEVER buy anything from EZ Wiring hence forth. :mad: And my advice is you don't either. If you don't answer the @#% phone you ain't work shit as a business. And yes, I would love to tell you this in person. :D

This is the kind of business model and customer service I expect from cheap Chinese crap, not American made.

Rant off, carry on...

2. butch27

butch27

If you think that's bad you should try " It's a Snap" . It's a joke is more like it. Make your own.

3. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

We're already on your anti-EZ bandwagon.

DBruce likes this.
  4. American Autowire worked for me. And they answer the phone when you call.
    -Pat

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i have put 8 in and never had any problems[ so far]

6. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

That's why I only sell AAW. By far its the best out there. Installed an ez and an its a snap for customers.....junk

DBruce likes this.
  7. Done over a dozen EZ wire and never had a problem. Problem with wiring is either you understand it or you don't, if you do it is pretty easy and if you are the other well might think about letting someone else do it for you.

tommyd and 50scotbolt like this.
  8. I Installed and ez wire 9 circuit 2.5 years ago and it seriously couldnt have been easier for me, I mean, the wires were labelled every foot, instructions did look like they were done by stevie wonder as a child, but still an easy install, I did call one time during the install and it was a blinker question too :).

anyways, I recently bought a 20 circuit (last week) and am blown away by the quality, and completeness of the kit, all the jumpers, wire ties, blah blah blah, its a million times better than the previous kit I bought. The instructions in this one are nice and cleanly done, the first set admittedly had a crude drawing set of instructions.
    and I have zero connections or claims with this company, just a satisfied customer twice so far, even more so on the second purchase, weird.
    thats all, my story with ez
    and as stated above, maybe ya gotta understand 'lectricity and wirin' and I've never had a problem with that.
    Not bashing the OP but do you have any experience? the reason I ask is that it was crazy easy for me, but I have played with wiring and schematics of various sorts all my life so the wiring of the old truck was a snap. Just trying to get some data, and I know your experience level has nothing to do with piss poor customer handling.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

It's obviously easier to whine and rant than wire.
    I've done 3 of them and haven't had an issue yet.

10. chopped

chopped

What was it you couldn't figure out?

11. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2. Couldn't have been easier!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. "EZ wire" and "It's a Snap" were no problem for me in several cases (about nine harness's)...sorry you are having problems, maybe it is beyond your ability?
    You might have better success with your rants if you direct them at the company involved? Good luck!
    Have you been injured on the job or a car accident or maybe you slipped on a wet floor? Get a grip on yourself, Doofus!

dirt t likes this.
  13. I hate wiring, and some of it I don't fully understand BUT I've installed 3 of the EZ kits and about to do a 4th and have not had a problem. followed the instructions
    and things went great. if and when I build a 5th car i'll use EZ wire again.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've done one of almost every major or minor brand, and the first EZ Wire I did was a bit confusing until I cut all the wire ties and the numerous useless jumpers fell out of the loom. I couldn't figure out why they had so many wire ends with the same identification on them until I figured out they were extra jumpers. They could have easily just tossed them in a separate bag and put them with the kit.
    I just finished a Speedway 20 ckt. GM kit, and of all the various kits I've installed, it had the best wiring, and the best instructions! So much simpler than any of the others, and took way less time than any previous kits. Not sure, but I think they might be built for Speedway by Painless.

But I do have to add one thing. The more harnesses you install, the easier they all get, and the more the crappy ones stand out!

dirt t and Al T like this.
  15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Rebel Wire=100% USA made,sold by a H.A.M.B. member who offers a discount to fellow members,and has had rave reveiws about their customer service after the sale in countless posts,why trade with these other outfits?? :confused:

DBruce likes this.
  16. dallas_danco

dallas_danco

If you are doing a ford the directions are wrong. They left off a brown wire marked ignition. Its all over the ford boards.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i put one in my 30 coupe with no problem other than having to splice some wires in to reach the front driver side headlites. yes the guy who answers tech questions is a bit annoying, i think he's the owner as well. he should get some help so he would act like a jerk. i ran my engine/headlite runs across the dash and down the passenger side cowl to get out of the body so it wouldn't be so busy with the steering box/brake lines. he didn't think of that. but he sent me the x-tra wires to make up the needed lenght after two calls. project came to a halt. there is no one schematic, but if you look ay the small pictures it's just a continuaion of the main fuse box layout. i ordered another one just because i'm familiar with it and it'll go super fast.

18. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

did you try calling them today and didnt get them? I would assume they wouldnt answer because its labor day....

19. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

One of the things I've learned by reading the HAMB is just how many of the best companies out there are really just one hardworking guy in a backyard shop, with good word-of-mouth. I don't know if EZ is one of those, but it does seem to me that a bit of patience is in order, especially on a holiday weekend.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

All this negative on the OP. Assuming he tried to call on labor day.

Ago

21. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Like....
    Nah, you were just reading it wrong!

It reads like this: "It's a ... (*snap*) !!!".

And (*snap*) is used in place of "F******-F***!!!

:D

Just cheezin'.
    I hate wiring but that's only 'cause my self-powered test light was outta batteries...

22. raidmagic

raidmagic

Rebel wiring for me. I'm on my 4th kit now and have enjoyed installing all of them. Customer service is top notch as well.

23. There's no kit for this-
    There's no diagram for this -
    There's no instructions for this -
    There's no help line phone center for this-

There's 160 wires & connections and with no imprinted labels. You make your own if you want them.

Yea , you either get it and its easy or you don't and its a mysterious black art.

Attached Files:

24. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Customer service has probably left and is contemplating suicide because I can just imagine the phone calls they have to put up with .
    Good service comes with a cost and if you buy cheap then don't be surprised.

25. I've lost track of how many I've installed, no issues yet. I've also sold over 100 of there kits. The only guys that have issues have been the ones that still don't get it once explained. I've always been able to un screw the problem and it's never yet been an out of the box issue. We're all good at something but few are good at everything.
    The Wizzard

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I read every electrical post on the HAMB in hopes of learning something, but no, I'm still in the dark. Bob

scarylarry likes this.
  27. tedster

tedster

Isn't it just amazing that no matter what it is someone bitches about there will be just as many people saying thay had no problem as there is with problems. I always feel sorry for the poor guy that is looking for help as which way to go. Purchase no don't purchase. Crap shoot.

28. I don't envy any of the aftermarket harness suppliers, because unless you're buying virtually the entire harness (including all switches and accessories), furnishing a 'foolproof' schematic is all but impossible. I've seen 'service' parts like turn switches that don't have the same wiring colors as the production part (and you won't find this in the service manual) as well as parts that do the same function but can be wired quite differently. If you're mashing parts from more than one OEM manufacturer, this can get very interesting...

And trying to diagnose wiring problems long-distance can be a exercise in frustration on both ends, particularly if the end user has a poor grasp of how circuits work. This hasn't been helped by the various manufacturers pretty much 'overselling' their product (Painless! EZ! Etc, etc..) when that can be very dependent on the skill level of the installer.

Bottom line? Don't count on the harness supplier having all the answers, make sure you understand what you're hooking up and why. And don't use the full schematic except to see how some circuits may interconnect. You're much better off using individual circuit diagrams without all the clutter of a full one.

To be honest, I haven't seen any aftermarket harnesses I'd install in my own car as-is as they all cut corners someplace in order to get the price down. And some of the 'wiring accessories' offered are a total joke, and all of them are guilty of this....

29. I agree that the kindergarten instructions that come with the EZ wire are pretty much useless hen scratching. I did an EZ wire and a Rebel harness. The Rebel was easier. I think if you want to understand the wiring you need a real schematic and EZ wire assumes you don't want to understand how to wire, just connect the dots.

30. When you are ready Bob
    Come on over here with your hot rod and we'll wire it up.
    Ill show you everything you need to know to wire up a simple hotrod & be able to trouble shoot it when something goes wrong.

dirt t likes this.