Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Modern drag racing(pretty much any modern motorsports) holds no interest for me at all.

2. Look anything like this?:
    [​IMG]

3. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Based on your experience at the recent Meltdown Drags, would you say there were more sub 14 second passes made over the weekend than there were 14 second plus passes? This is based on the total number of passes, not just one class.

4. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

OK, Ill play, i think there were alot more slower passes than fast passes.
    I also think the meltdown is a show. It is not a race. I had a great time
    You ever see the amount of people go to the bathrooms when the pro stocks and bikes come out? Know why...they want to see the fuelers
    Its action you cant see anywhere on the street.
    I truley am only speeking my opionion....please dont take me as being cocky and knowing everything.......people come and pay the track to see speed....the more the better. Poll the fans and Ill bet Im rite

5. Gotta hide an electric fan between grill and radiator. I am no expert car builder but at least you can hide it from the untrained eye.

Or run a 4 blade mechanical and a good shroud radiator combo.

Love the twists and turns in this thread!

6. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I agree with you 100% if we are talking about contemporary drag events.

But we're not. Obviously it wasn't speed that brought the crowd to the Meltdown event. It was 14 second cars and people wanting to be involved.

I can watch speed on TV every weekend. There is something more than speed driving the nostalgia / traditional scene. Personally I feel a lot of it is the possibility of participation and appreciation for nostalgia itself.

A 14 second, original style "Gasser" built from vintage parts simple holds more provenance than a sub 8 second "Gasser" built using modern tech and parts will ever have in my book.

7. I don't know if a Jabsco would survive or not - the new ones probably would, there are other companies that make them as well, like Flo Rite, Sure-Flo and even Meziere that are designed for continuous duty.

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"I also think the meltdown is a show. It is not a race."

I'll bet you were racing your ass off when you were trying to cut that tree! ;)

9. I'm not sure where you are getting your "Facts" but my "Old Heap" with outdated parts (if that's what TRW Pistons, Crower Crank and Rods, and a Hillborn are) that is a pure gasser has run deep in the 8's, faster than I really want to go in a 90" car with no silly wings or spoilers.

10. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

A 14 second, original style "Gasser" built from vintage parts simple holds more provenance than a sub 8 second "Gasser" built using modern tech and parts will ever have in my book.[/QUOTE]

And I agree with you 100 percent.
    I go to about 10 races a year and to 1 or 2 shows a year. I usailly have more fun at the shows because the compatition at races make you "work" and at the shows I "play"
    Maybe i am thinking what makes fans pay their hard earned money to spectate these races or shows.
    I think excitement would be the key word here. You probley have been around this sport more than the fans or maybe even myself and therefore can appreciate the finer points of gasser racing. I was trying to display what I think this sport needs to survive. No promoater I know of would hold a race for 14 second cars, if they did, I belive only a few fans would pay to see this. I relly think that.
    I have long whellie bars because Ive folded the perioriod correct ones and bent the front axle several times. Its either go slower, dont launch it as hard as I can or put longer bars on it . Ill go with the ladder part
    Last thing on this subject, you can get a 6 second car to take off and run 200mph very peacefully. Put a 9 second pass down with wheels up and bangin gears all over the place on the track. Watch witch pit the fans go to............................................

11. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

I sure wouldnt do any measly 9 sec passes with a 50 year old flywheel. I like my legs too much

12. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Richard D

Yep that's it worked like a charm!!

13. This is very true. Joe public don't give a shit about history. Hell, he'd rather watch hillbillies spit tobacco and drive in circles for hours in identical cars.

14. P.S. I think I've said it before, the picture of the orange Nova is awesome. I hope my Corvair will do that!

15. Larry T

Larry T

Yep. You can't see the pump here, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

16. Got to love Phil for the no bull shit view

17. lmao!

18. Talked to a guy today who made a compelling point for sourcing a Hudson Hornet motor for the power plant. Hmmmm?

19. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Back in the day. There was a Henry J running a Hudson six in the local Gas class. I ran B/gas he was a J/gasser if I remember right.. Feels like forever.. waiting for your light when they let him go first. Waaay down the track.

20. I agree with Rotten!
    Fans wanna see out (almost)of control, wheels up,bumper draggin,gear bangin,fire spittin,spark throwin,noisemakin,fastass sumbichin HOTRODS!!!! As for me....I build/drive what "I" think is cool and do NOT care what anyone else thinks....if someone else likes it...all the better!!! jmho...Redline Racer

Attached Files:

21. I ran a guy one night who had a 20:20 dialin. Had to wait over 6 seconds for that light. Ran him down for the win!

22. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

In the early 60's when I started running my gasser, there were no staggered starts as you both left when the flag went up

Yes we had a starter with a flag and he would point to each driver that you are ready, then put the end of the flag on the track

And in the summer when he was wearing a T shirt you would look at his elbow, and when it started to bend you let her rip

In the winter you did not have the same advantage with a jacket on but you still looked in the same place

The tracks kinda lost a little of the coolness when the tree came into play, flag guys were cool as they each had their own style on the starting line

G Don

23. I had to race a chickiebabe in some sorta foriegn car thingie 1st round one night,she put her rear tires in the water with a front wheel drive car...I'm thinkin...1st round duck....well...we lined em up,she takes off...her in her mit su bitchi whatever, me in my angry snarlin 11flat Stude. I'm waitn for my tree to drop(about a half hour wait...)and man are her tailights ever gettin small before I even get to launch....So I takes off after her and maaaaan alive....I blow by her at a 120 mph to her 60 or so,a frickin INCH PAST the finish line....If you guys say ANYTHING about it.... I WILL deny it....hahahaha....MAN....trailered by a girl in a jap car....oh the SHAME.......

Attached Files:

24. Larry T

Larry T

The spot stories reminds me of a friend of mine that ran a muscle car in B/Stock. He had to run a lower class stocker (that happened to be a record holder at the time). He basically said "No way I can beat him. I have to spot him 1/2 mile and we only race a 1/4". :D

25. Lucky3

Lucky3

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds like my kinda show/race. Most "nostalgia" races are far from that. Most are ProMod cars shaped to look like a Willys.

28. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Quain's group offers the most exciting drag racing I have ever seen. I am a YouTube junkie and I don't miss anything where gassers are concerned. I have seen him and the night stalker pull the wheels 3 times in the same pass. Who else does that? Love to watch those guys.

Now having said that, I would still enjoy them just as much if I saw that electric fan their running. I won't knock them though because they are doing something very right. Nobody else is trying as hard to offer fans the real deal and I applaud them for that.

I think what gripes me and others is when people start acting like everybody else's car is not a gasser because the guy runs an automatic or sprung wheelie bars etc. I even go so far as to say methanol is acceptable, but that's another bag of tarantulas.

There is no denying that Quain's group is awesome but they are not the only gassers left in the world. I think they offer as close a reflection to A/Gassers from the early 60's as is practical to deliver. That however is a fairly small window to the history of gassers. There is still room left for others.

29. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Meltdown Drags is far from that pro-mod nostalgia looking crap! Nomatter how fast the cars go...its awesome and a hell of a good time for those who love period correct drag racing!!!:D