Register now to get rid of these ads!

37-38 Chevy Coupe Trunk lid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amadeus, Aug 23, 2013.

1. amadeus

amadeus

Met a really nice guy today that had advertised 37-38 Chevy parts for sale locally,unfortunate he did not have what I needed(see my wanted AD).
    Turns out the only thing he had for a 37-38 Coupe was a very nice Trunk Lid for a Coupe, being that these are hard to find and let alone in this nice of shape( trunk lid was clean and with just a couple minor dings,surface rust, but no rust through) I bought it on impulse for what seemed a good deal.
    However, when I compare it to my 38 (yellow one)lid you can see the difference on the bracing and the obvious weight difference! So what exactly do I have here? An early 37 trunk lid? I had bought some trunk lift supports that the guy swore where from a 37?coupe and did not match up to my 38 but do with this trunk lid.
    I verify the fit and hinge bolt pattern and it matches to my 38 lid. Any one have any ideas or have seen this before? They are identical ,size and fit .
    JW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. amadeus

amadeus

Side by side

Attached Files:

3. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

Looks like the one on my 37 Chevy coupe.

4. amadeus

amadeus

5. amadeus

amadeus

Anyone have trunk Hinges and lifts? Looking for a set. (COUPE ONLY)

6. alchemy

alchemy

There were more differences between the 37 and 38 Chevy's than the hood and grille. Did you know the rear fenders are different too?

7. amadeus

amadeus

Now that is one I never heard before! I was under the impression that the fenders were all the same, 37-38 Sedans,Coupes.
    Is it just a subtle difference? Different Radius,shape?
    Thanks for the info!
    JW

8. alchemy

alchemy

The rear fenders are an inch or so wider on one year. I'm no Chevy guy, but Dad has a '37 Sedan Delivery, and a Chevy expert was telling Dad how his NOS fenders were wider than the originals that came on the car. So, I'd guess that means the '38's are the wider ones.

Pretty sure that all passenger car (and sedan delivery) fenders fit all body styles. The gas filler hole may need to be drilled or filled, but they should all bolt on.

9. ...yup, 38 rear fenders are an inch wider at the rear along with the fender-to-frame support rod, according to original parts manuals; but they all bolt on either body.

10. amadeus

amadeus

Man! I would never have thought of that one! Good thing I didnt get the '37 Rear Fenders!
    Thanks for the info !

JW

11. Ryan englade

Ryan englade

Is the trunck still for sale was out for a 37?

12. squirrel

squirrel

4 year old thread...kind of unlikely it's still around?

13. amadeus

amadeus

Hello Ryan,

Unfortunately I sold that Coupe Trunk Lid a few years back ...