Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post Bonneville - the Way Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Jun 24, 2013.

1. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Denise's big Poncho in action. Go Denise Go!!

[​IMG]

2. 54sled

54sled

That is one action packed trip for you guys,cant wait to meet up with you guys again!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. More pics from HAMB Drags .... the white Poncho was really quick and one very sweet ride ... how about that 50 Ford Ranchero? He had a 4.6 cammer engine that was running off a distributor and ran a carb! Would be a great tech article - you a HAMB'r?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  4. One more set of pis from the HAMB drags ....

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

If you know why your ass itches next year at the same time you will know WHY!!

6. To All - in case you have not noticed, I've posted all of my pics - check back on the older posts for pics that have finally been added. what a difference a good I-net connection makes!

Stogy likes this.
  7. I think I know what you mean!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Same here, man, same here ....

9. Day 17 - another beautiful day in retirement land! And I'm on the road trip of a lifetime - it's going to be tough to top this one! We said good buy to some of HAMB folks and took off for Starbird's museum. Really nice ride, took all back roads, and it was really close - about an hour away. It's literally in the middle of a field, in the middle of no where really. But oh what's inside - pure custom heaven ....

Only $8 to get in - a bargain, to be sure. Once in, everywhere you look there is memorabilia, cars, posters, signs, model kits with many old ones we all remember doing. You have the main section all about Starbird's creations and then there are two wings - one is mainly Barris, the other of Bill Hines with many, many other customizers mixed in. I took a bunch of pics so I will let them tell the tale...

It only took about 2 hours to go through the museum so we washed the underside of the car again, did some laundry, posted pics - a take it easy day after some pretty hard running and full schedule, it was nice to chill a bit. We also toured around Joplin's old Rt 66 and we will continue on tomorrow as we begin again.

Enjoy the pics - trying to keep to the more trad stuff ....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  10. More Starbird Museum pics ....

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  11. One last bunch ... BTW, the 1960 T-bird is for sale if you are interested ... sorry, last pics got dark - very dark room ...

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  12. Thank you, Max, but I'm no hero - I just love hot rods ...

13. If you can do it - any way possible - do it. A life changing experience to a hot rodder ....

14. Got cha covered - check them out!

15. Who knows - maybe we can both cruise out together!

16. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Looks like you are having one hell of a trip! Thanks for sharing all the cool photos. It's on my Bucket list to make it to Bonneville.

17. Tom,
    Just got to read all your updates since returning for the salt. It was great running with you guys and I hope we meet up down the road. I go with the Bones Boys every year so if you ever do this agin we will hook up.
    Until the next time...Mayor Dennis

18. Hey TomT and Chuck!

It was great visiting with you guys, over at the HAMB Drags. What a cool trip you guys are on. Sorry that David and I were in your way while you were shooting a picture of my '40 stake truck. We were comparing Ford glass "bugs", between his truck and mine.

I snapped a couple of pictures of your roadster, and have them posted on my site here: http://streetrodder.net/?p=1567

Have a safe trip home, and keep snapping pictures of your adventure!

Bret

19. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Hey TomT, I thought I read where you are spending Monday night at the Wagon Wheel in Cuba, MO. Cool place.
    I need to tell you about construction on I-44 eastbound near PACIFIC. You can ride Route 66 from Cuba all the way to Allenton MO if you want. Not much to see, but you are on the route. At Stanton, flip from the south side of the interstate (your right side as you travel east) to the north side. The south side ends there. A cool old neon sign for a motel on the route between Hwy 50 and Hwy100 exits.
    IF you ARE on I-44, get off by Exit 253 (Gray Summit) as it goes from three lanes to ONE. Exit and stay to the right and turn left (east). You can drive through Pacific, see the Red Cedar Inn Restaurant at the east end of town and then get back on I-44 at Allenton.
    If I can do anything, call my cell: 314-609-0664.
    I've enjoyed reading of your adventure. Have a safe trip home.
    Roger

20. hasty

hasty

Great thread - thanks for the updates

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hey Tom, nice hangin with you guys the last couple weeks, hope the rest of your travels are safe and uneventful! Thanks for the great pics!

22. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Tom, It was "good fun" running with you and Chuck last week.
    Are you still smiling?
    Keep your Hot Rod between the lines.
    Keith Cornell

23. Tom,
    Just saw this, can't believe I missed it before, very cool write up!
    Sorry we didn't get to talk on the the salt, it was a blur. You should have talked my Dad(Bart) into cruising to The Drags with you! I've tried to get him to go the last 2 years he's driven to Bonneville.
    Brett.

24. Tom, looking fwd to see you back home. I can see you will have many story's to share when you get home... I followed your post and felt like I was there with you. Man what an adventure. I'll see you around town once you are home and you can fill in (THE REST OF THE STORY)....And Tom, thanks for the day to day post and pics... your post's gave adventure to all of us... John

25. Day 18 – we rode Rt 66 from Joplin to Cuba, MO – what a ride, let me tell you. First of all, if you are using the maps, it’s a two man job. Second of all, your car will get beat to death – Chuck and I got our own personal massage the entire day. We stayed on Rt 66 the whole day except for a 5-mile backtrack (our exit ramp was closed due to construction), and one stupid move for another 5 miles. It was mostly 2-lane highway and we took as much of the old roadway as possible. It’s still there, but in rough shape. The bridges we went over we did not dally on – they looked in great need of repair.

Our first side venture on some older Rt 66 sections took us into Spencer, MO – covered steel bridge led into our first old gas stop where we took some pics. No one was there unfortunately but it was fun looking through the windows at what was inside, making like gas pump jockeys and cleaning my window … just a really cool place. From what we learned later, the folks that live behind the unit have been restoring it.

Then we went back out and up into Gay Perata where we met Gary, the proprietor (if not the owner) of the place. He was about as old as the gas station just about and had so many interesting stories to tell us. He had some really cool stuff around and had painted the F-5 in the garage himself. But, we felt kind of sorry for him as he kept saying the same things over again, trying to get us to continue to stay and talk with him. He was just lonely I expect, and we were the first car folks that had come through in a while. I wonder what will happen to the place when he’s gone gut he’s asked us to send pics of my car at his place to his son to post on the website. He even gave us an autographed picture of the place from the Rt 66 Association, gave us a can of pop, and just wanted to talk the rest of the day away with us. We felt bad but after about close to an hour we moved on.

Rt 66 cuts in and out of several routes throughout MO and it seems much of the original roadway is still there, just passing time. It really is in need of repair in many places and it about took our teeth out a couple times in my roadster – it REALLY took a pounding the entire day, let me tell you.

There was plenty of of old tin around the entire time on Rt 66 - sometimes one or 2, other times a bunch - perhaps hot for sale, perhaps not what we would like to pay but there IS a boatload of old tin along Rt 66 in MO.

We arrived at the Wagon Wheel Motel at about 6PM and got checked in. We found out that it was built in 1934, and was purchased by the present owner in 2009 and took 2 years to renovate. It originally had a small store, café, and even a garage for repairs with an outdoor drive in/over grease pit where the old Chevy is. It is nearly all original and the room we are in is small but comfortable. With all original woodwork, flooring, doors –really just a wonderful spot. You could have quite a party here as it seems there are about 2 acres or more here.

Again, just a great day and a lot of laughs, great scenery, riding on roads that are now mostly just for folks like us ….

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  26. More Rt 66 Pics ....

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  27. One final bunch .... I tried to pick up some old road signs, spots where old tin were seen, give you a feel of the road. Somethin else, let me tell you ....

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  28. It should be on every hot rodders bucket list - I'm just fortunate enough to actually be able to do it!

29. Hey, Dennis - it was a pleasure hanging with you and everyone else rolling with the bones. Your shop is killer and I look forward to seeing you on the salt again soon ...

30. No worries, man - we are STILL having a blast - just love your truck and the history. Maybe next time we meet I'll be in my 40 p-up!