Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC into a 62 Stude Lark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkeesey, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jkeesey

jkeesey

So it looks like I am going to be installing a sbc and overdrive trans into a 62 Lark. I did a search and found a few guys on here who have done it. I would like to see some pictures of engine mounts and transmission mounts in particular. I don't think it would be too much of an issue to make them I would just like to see what others have done.

2. Ole don

Ole don

During the last years of production, some Studebakers came from the factory with Chevrolet engines. If you check the old parts books, you should find motor mounts that will bolt the two together.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I saw a Lark in a magazine years ago that had a 392 Hemi in it.......a sbc should be a drop in after that. :eek:

I had a 53 Stude with a sbc in it using Hurst mounts and a trans adapter. It fit better than the original engine and ran better too.

Don

4. jkeesey

jkeesey

I have heard of the chevys coming stock in 65 and 66 but haven't seen any pictures of the mounts. I'm sure it will fit in their nicely but wanted to see what I would have to do to make the mounts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. not sure where my factory 65/66 mounts are....haven't run across them in one of my big serches for other stuff.....maybe some one else will post a pick....

6. mechanic58

mechanic58

You know I always heard that the original design for the small block chevrolet was stolen or pirated from Studebaker in 1953. I have researched it extensively and I just can't find anything worth reading about it. Anyone else ever heard this?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add that I have a friend in Richmond, VA that is building a Lark with a small block. I'll see if he has any pictures I can post up.

7. aircap

aircap

Yes. It's bullshit.

8. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Have a 500 cube big block in my 59 Lark. So a sbc should fit well. I made T shaped extensions from the frame and used mid seventies shells and mounts. The original belhousing mount crossmember is modified and a simple tube rear crossmember fabricated.

9. Get hold of Studebaker International in Indy or California. I'll bet they have the motor mount brackets for a 65 or 66 Stude with a 283 in stock. They used a B-W tranny so the rear factory mount may not work. Stude Int has warehouses full of old original Studebaker parts, many at very reasonable prices.

10. Swifster

Swifster

First, I will tell you that you can open the hood and show a Stude motor or be like everyone else and show off a belly button motor. Your car, your money.

To answer your question, you can get the factory Chevy engine mounts and pedestals from Studebaker International in South Bend. To put a 3-speed with overdrive behind it, you need a '65 or '66 bell housing (or one out of a Checker).

I would suggest also stopping by the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum. Like here, you need a thick skin. There are many that love modified Studes and others that prefer original cars.

11. jkeesey

jkeesey

Its not my car so not my choice. I checked the Studebaker International website and they didn't have the 65-6 engine mounts listed. The transmission is a 700r4 not a stude trans.

12. Swifster

Swifster

1) For a Studebaker, you'll need the factory parts book. All vendors list their parts by the OEM part number.

2) These are the V8 brackets and pedestals for putting a SBC engine in a Lark. These are listed in Studebaker International's catalog. You'll need to make a custom bracket for the transmission.

1563714 & 1563715 - Engine to frame brackets - $175.00pr
    1564698 (2) - Front engine block brackets - $12.95 Ea

It should use typical SBC engine mounts.

My original idea was to use a SBC as well. Someone mentioned everyone uses a SBC in everything from a '32 Ford to...well, a Chevy. Open the hood and you see the same thing time and again. I bought a Stude 289. It's a heavy engine and has nowhere near the same amount of speed parts available. But they have a unique sound. My goal is to have a streetable 300HP.

This isn't to say I'm against Chevy's in a Stude. My Commander is getting a blown 4.3L V6.

13. jkeesey

jkeesey

Thanks for the part #s Swifster. I will have to call them Monday, I keep looking through their online parts catalog under engine mounts and I can only find up to 64 listed.

14. Swifster

Swifster

Those are the brackets, not the insulators.

15. PackardV8

PackardV8

If you'd researched it extensively, you'd learn it was the other way around. Studebaker engineers copied much from the '49 Cadillac OHV8 when they built their own in '51. The two are so similar the intake manifolds almost interchange and using Studebaker adjustable rocker arms is a way to get solid lifters in a Cadillac.

jack vines

16. jkeesey

jkeesey

Just ordered the front mounts. I think Im going to slide the engine in before they get here just to size everything up. The whole Chevy engine and transmission together are about 6" shorter than the Stude setup.

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes. At the same time, they also stole the famous 100 mpg carburetor from them, but then someone else stole it out of the back of their truck and it hasn't been seen since. Studebaker never recovered from losing the two biggest products they ever conceived and went out of business.

18. mechanic58

mechanic58

^^^ lol, can't tell if sarcasm or if serious.

19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

baaaaahahahahahahaha...I bet they also invented the kneuter valve...

20. JOHN R DOSTAL

JOHN R DOSTAL

i think jungle jim ran a lark with a chevy in it
    johnny d

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a 350 and Saginaw in a 62 Lark. Mine came with a six. The frames are quite different between the six cylinder and V8 Larks. Second thing I did was a Turner disk brake kit. Made the car much better

22. Apenaut

Apenaut

Exhaust can be an issue because of the Lark steering box. You may need "block-huggers" for proper clearance or you may need to fab a set of headers.

23. jkeesey

jkeesey

I was planning on getting a set of original rams horn style manifolds for it. It looks like it will be tight but still clear. It slid in better than the 6 slid out. Now I'm waiting on the original replacement engine mounts to get here so I can figure exactly where the engine goes.

24. jkeesey

jkeesey

25. 2racer

2racer

really?

26. jkeesey

jkeesey

Tried to post a picture of the engine in using the new app it apparently didn't work.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well that was a surprise! Took 10 posts to get to the SBC belly button comment this time! :)

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And don't forget the Studebaker engineer who infiltrated the Corvette engineering group to steal the plans. But he misplaced them when he got home, and by the time he found them it was 1962, and all they could use from the plans was fiberglass and an Egbert doodle on a napkin!

29. jkeesey

jkeesey

Well, theres a lot more work I felt the car needed but the owners have decided they don't want to put any more money in so here is the current finished product.

Attached Files:

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks a lot like mine. I used stock Rams Horn manifolds. Found the Stude radiator didn't cut it. But my car was a six cylinder stock.