Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60's Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!

2. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

That's looking great man! Good job!
    Tom

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Tom!

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be pulling the motor back out tomorrow... Transmission is having trouble by having to double clutch, and then it'll get stuck in 3rd gear. Tried to bend the shifter fork numerous times, but to no avail... Guess I couldn't get away with just looking it over and putting it in- knew that was too easy :rolleyes:

4. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

1 Step forward, 2 steps back... Wait... That doesn't sound right??

Oh well, had to do it to get to the transmission....

[​IMG]

While waiting for some parts for the trans, I did a side project I've been waiting to do...

[​IMG]

It was tricky getting all the flanges lined up straight and level, and then getting the pipes the right height (it looks sort of off in the picture, but I think it's just from the air cleaners not all the way on). Only have the welding done so far, still have to figure out the linkage and fuel set-up... I got a pair of Holley 94's from a friend that already had the throttle shaft removed so that'll work out nicely.

5. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

Damn, after readin' all the updates, I had to go out and inspect what its gonna' take to get the engine out of my racer!!

6. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Haha they're working better now!

After switching the lines front to back, testing the master cylinder, and bleeding the lines more times then I can count I followed someones advice and adjusted the brakes out as far as they would go... Found I had a rock hard pedal. So I've been backing them off just a hair and then going for a drive (well ok, not the last couple days :rolleyes:) and just gettings the shoes to wear to the drums- seems to be getting better.

Hopefully it won't be too bad! I tried to "cheat" and get just the transmission out, but that proved to be pointless, and I would have been farther ahead if I had just pulled the motor/trans to begin with....

7. Hi Shaun
    I don't post on here much but I have been thinking about doing a street legal vintage modified instead of actually trying to race a vintage modified. I grew up watching these things at the many local oval tracks in my area....I am very impressed with how you worked thru the many issues you had with the car and it looks awesome too...you saved a piece of oval track history but kept it so it can still get used and have fun with it too...Looks great...

thanks for sharing your journey with us...

MikeC

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

More progress! Car is now officially registered, inspected and insured... So now I can drive it wherever! 126 miles so far on it! Still waiting for my real plate to show up though....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished up my fuel system last night- Soldering skills came in handy again.. I soldered the brass fitting closed on the other two carbs, and then made this out of 1/2" coppers and some 3/8" brass fittings for "Pex" tubing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hood's going to need some work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the compliment Mike!

That was my main concern- I wanted something that I could actually get some use out of- and take it out whenever I want (well except if it's pouring rain out... Can't really roll up the windows!). I wasn't real sure on the idea at first because of others voicing their opinions to keep it strictly a race car, but I can see now that I've made the right choice.

Already I've put about 126 miles on the car and had a blast bombing around in it- if it was strictly a vintage racer, I might have been able to bring it to 1 show so far... And then I have to get a trailer, tow it to the event, etc. etc. - Now, I just open the garage door, hop in it, and take off.

10. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Just when ya think there is no possible way it can get better.....it does....

11. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

A job well done, congradulations on hittin' the road with it!
    You've been an inspiration to this drag ass!

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Well I try to keep everyone on their toes :rolleyes:

Thanks! Now when will you cars be up and running??

13. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Somehow I missed this thread when it started. Now I am even more impressed. Old legal race cars on the road. SUPER job well done !

14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the kind words!

15. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Nice thing about this is if the clubs ever decide to let real actual old race cars run again, nothing is cast in stone...you are ready!

16. How did I miss this thread??? Great job and now Henry is grinnin from ear to ear...........
    Congrats......

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Yup! Wouldn't take too much effort... Only trouble is that all the clubs I've seen only do asphalt, unfortunately- but hey that could change in the future!

Thanks! I think Henry might have frowned upon a few of the old jalopies that were real hack jobs back in the day- but at least this one still has a big Ford soul to it!

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Shaun,I 've been waiting to see the hood in place :cool:,though it does detract from the raw appeal of the car. It's a fine project and great outcome. Thanks for sharing it with us and please continue to do so.:D

20. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I have often dreamed about doing something similar. Maybe someday in the future, I may copy this build. Looks really good.

21. 4444Design

4444Design

also impressed by having a vintage racecar roadlegal

love the details und would like to go for a soin just to get the feelin'

awesome job!

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dyce is right on. No webbing on the rear of door window says '33 Ford.

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the link! I was unaware there was a club for vintage dirt cars.. It is a little far, but if I'm ever out that way I'll have to check it out

Thanks Bill- it does take away a little from the engine, but I think once the hood it done it will help to "tie" the entire car together a little better

Thanks- and let me know if you do follow through with that dream, I could probably help you out with a few pointers..

Thanks! It is quite a feeling to think that I'm driving car that hadn't been run or really touched in 40 years, and that probably had been on the road for 60 years!

I thiiiink you might want to check out the rest of the thread... :rolleyes:

24. patman

patman

Did you get the shifting problem sorted out? Been driving it much?

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Fortunately yes, got everything sorted out! After getting everything apart, I found out that the snap ring for the synchro hub was broken, and let the hub move and wore out the brass synchronizers.

Bought my rebuild parts from Van Pelt, as well as his book, and got everything back together last weekend. So far not alot of miles after getting it inspected (been too damn hot!), and I'm trying to get the hood and some other things finished up before a show on Monday..

26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I was looking at one of my old online albums and came across these pics. this car had quite a long and successful history on central NY tracks in the 50's and 60's and still makes some local vintage events. Like the use of a half wheel for protective part of rear crash bars. Could easily be made street legal. I believe it's a .060 over bored 265 Chrysler engine which were quite popular here especially on 1/4 and 3/8 mile tracks where torque was more a consideration than top speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Very neat looking old stock car, and like you said could probably be put on the road fairly easy... The half wheel protectors were a nice touch for sure!

28. patman

patman

I was at the Syracuse Nationals yesterday and snapped an inspirational pic for ya...

[​IMG]

29. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I remember a car that ran a 265 Chrysler engine at Maple Grove Speedway in Waterloo in the late 50s and early 60s. I don't remember who drove it or the car number but I do remember it was an all red coupe.

30. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thought I'd show off one of the last pieces to go on the car...

[​IMG]

However, when I took the picture, I noticed a pretty decent amount of oil under the car.. I hoped it was left over from spilling a little, or a stain from another vehicle, but no such luck..

Looks like the oil seal for the pinion decided to wear out somewheres during my 40-50 mile cruise last night (it's first car show).. I don't think the gears or anything suffered too badly, it certainly didn't lose all the gear oil- but boy did it make a mess slinging it around! Covered the rearend, suspension, shocks, even managed to soak the bottom of the gas tank and got some on the body... At least I won't have to worry about those areas rusting :rolleyes: