Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Those chromed parts look good! Is that bumper the same one that you had the traditional ironworker friend reshape?

2. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott. I'm going to work on the car again next week. The wing windows will be put back together once I've worked out the exact position of the chrome on the side of the electric window next to it. So once again, I need to be patient.

3. farmer12

farmer12

It was certainly slightly nerve wrecking unwrapping the bumper......just hoping it came out the way I imagined. And it did!

It certainly is the same bumper. Well worth all the effort!

Attached Files:

4. metalguy

metalguy
    from down south

Great to see a blacksmith at work! Awesome build farmer12, kudos to you.

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you metalguy! This guy is one of two brothers who have continued the family tradition and I believe it's been a family business for more than a hundred years. Glad you're enjoying the build!

6. 1959apache

1959apache

that is pretty cool on the bumper, thanks for posting those pictures. That is a cool blacksmith shop.. I dig that they are still doing it

Are you guys regulated from the EU on chroming? I know here in the states the EPA has really screwed over the good, old fashioned chromers and the few places that still do it jacked the prices waaay up, since they have the monopoly.

Are you still waiting to get stuff back from the chromers and are they doing it in pieces and sending you what they get finished?

7. farmer12

farmer12

I've got all the stuff back that needed to be re-chromed. All the outside trim is stainless and will require some professional polishing. As far as the regulations on chroming, the rules have become very restrictive here indeed. That's why I had it all done in Hungary.......a good 1000 miles up the road. They've never heard of regulations and do it the old fashioned way. And slightly cheaper too.:D

8. Sending chrome stuff to east European countries has been going on for quite a few years now. Even complete resto jobs go up that way. Wages are way less up there.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmm, I wonder what shipping is from Hawaii to Hungary?:eek::D

10. farmer12

farmer12

The wages in places like Poland and Hungary are certainly cheap, making it worthwhile for people to send their cars over there to be restored. Me, I like to do it myself.:D:D:D

11. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

oh, so that's why i've been noticing quite some activity boost in foreign restorations, at least from what i see on the web and in car shows.

back on the topic - one that i haven't left a comment in, yet - you're doing some great work, the car is going to be killer, sure hope to see it in real life someday!

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you N.Ozols! Glad you're enjoying the build.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Finally had some time today to get back in the garage. Started to dismantle the fuel cell brackets and rear suspension, and get the rear end off to the body shop. It was quite an undertaking to get it out from underneath the car on my own, but with some axle stands, a jack and brute force, I did get it done. :D

Attached Files:

14. davo461

davo461

Brute force will overcome many obstacles,( if there is enough of it)!
    The finish line is getting closer, all the time.
    Cheers, Davo

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Musta been fun getting the axle assembly into the Jeep by yourself.:eek::D

16. farmer12

farmer12

I did have the help of my son and one of my daughters......a near impossible task doing this job by yourself. I'm strong but not that strong.:D

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Davo.

18. This thread is inspirational and your work sets a standard. Even though We outside the U.S. have to wait for parts and we can't pick them up and look at them when we buy them we're lucky to have this "intermanet thing" now. I love getting those packages in the mail, got one from "Wildcat MoPar wreckers" today.
    Can't wait to see this car done but the ride there is awesome so far thanks for sharing.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the kind words Goofer. Certainly wouldn't mind living a little closer to the U.S. sometimes.

20. farmer12

farmer12

Started to clean up the rear end in order to get it ready for paint. I didn't clean up the welds like I normally do, so that it's full strength is retained. Once I got home, cleaned up the fuel cell and changed the filler cap back to the original one.

Attached Files:

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Catching up Eric, this is one of the best build threads going. This is so fucking cool:
    Edit: sorry pic is so big, just copied & pasted
    Edit #2: removed pic, just too damn big. But a very cool blacksmith shop Eric!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  22. Moparts

Moparts

That's a cool pic! Good to see the bumper turned out so nice after all that work. Well worth all the effort imho.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Moparts. I'm also very happy with the way the rear bumper turned out. Finally have all day tomorrow to work in the garage, can't wait!:D

24. ausbuick

ausbuick

That blacksmith work shop would have to be the best I've seen today......
    Very kool
    Cheers Darren

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. farmer12

farmer12

Had a great day today, got a lot done! Started off by removing the bench seat and the two support brackets. With this out of the way, I was able to drill holes and install the two side window garnish mouldings and the rear one. It took a bit of time in order to line them all up properly, but it's done. I used some heavy duty tape for the rear moulding first, as the clamps just wouldn't hold. Next I bent some steel by hand and made a template for the blacksmith. This is going to be the driveshaft safety brace. Finally worked out the brake line routing, which I'll continue tomorrow.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

hemi v8 and speed v8 like this.
  26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Outstanding as usual! This has to be my favourite build thread on the HAMB, so much attention to detail, you make it look easy.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words hooliganshotrods! The thing is, it is easy. The requirement for building something is patience. I don't always get it right the first time........I throw the piece away, have a coffee and a cigarette and start over again. I've learned to live with certain frustrations. Keep doing it until you get it right and when you're 100% satisfied, you're done. One step at a time. It can become too overwhelming if you don't stick to one thing and finish it. These are my thoughts at least.

28. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Dead on right! I'm learning that on my 31 coupe build, when I start my 37 this winter I'll be reflecting on that comment even more. You are an inspiration to say the least.

29. 1959apache

1959apache

I agree with this completely. You are doing a good job, and I agree that unless you are 100% satisfied with something then it isn't done. You are so close to the finish line! What is the blacksmith going to make that out of?

Anyway, nice progress! I am really looking forward to starting on mine again once I get this new frame. I priced out the stuff from Heidts (sp?) that you sent me and man that is pretty salty now. It is going to be cheaper to just stick with the old frame and go from there.

Oh and I checked the date again and I have been working on the Apache for 4 years come September, not 3! I feel old..:D:D:D

Is the paint booth place just taking the small stuff for now or what's going on with that?

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see some progress,Eric!
    Is the damn german sportscar still blocking the paintjob?