Register now to get rid of these ads!

MCF full flow system in my 38 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arvonian, Jun 28, 2013.

1. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

Still fitting up my 8BA in the 38 and gearing up to put my MCF system in, and was wondering.... anyone out there have a truck oil pan in a similar setup? I don't have one yet but am thinking it would definitely be a good idea, just not sure of the clearances with crossmember and steering linkage. The oil pan I have fits great, just thinking about filter screen cleaning. I was also curious as to what oil pan I have here?

Willy

Attached Files:

2. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

My initial best guess was one year only 51 Mercury. But I believe they only had 2 bolts in the rear bottom of pan to attach flywheel dust cover.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The bolts on the bottom of that pan are to attach the support bracket, between the lower bell housing, and the oil pan. it is necessary to prevent flexing of the stamped steel b'housing. The flexing happens because of the distance between the front motor mounts, and the rear trans mount.

If anyone needs pictures of the way it's installed, I'll be glad to send them.

4TTRUK

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ps; If that pan has a windage tray,..it's from a Merc.

4TTRUK

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

Thanks Y'all for the input. The pan came from the motor that was in the car, just a rusty hulk from being exposed for years with the intake off....I couldn't get any numbers off of it. Guess I'll put this one on since I've got the support bracket and stamped bell housing.

7. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

1949 through early 51 Merc. The set up changed when the big bell housings came out in mid 1951.

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was no change. The same pan was used with the full cast iron regular production '51 Merc bell. The starter plate is different, (and the same used on '52-'53 F/M), as support was no longer needed between the pan and bell.

9. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The stud bottom pans were used untill they were used up in production. I've seen later 51 models with both manual & auto trans that didn't have the stud plate welded on. The center sumps in 52 stopped production for the rear sump with possible exceptions for spare parts support. The 52 & later chassis parts books list the 1CM pan with no studs.

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does makes sense the stud plates would have been used up/eliminated during '51 production, but I've never seen a '51 pan without them, including those on hand that were removed from '51 Mercs, so I stand corrected. :)