Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Bucket Bodies Question "Who To Use"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoronetRTguy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Oh I just wanted to update on the eBay link the one in grey primer or gel coat is the one that came recomended to me by a HAMB'er in email. The guys name selling them is Bear. I just sent a question to him so I'm waiting to hear back.

I'm also still looking for the email to get the exact info. The person said a friend had built using it (I think he said that) and it was a nice body.

I asked what and who's mold that he is using.

2. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Ok so I found the email from the HAMB'er but I have no clue what member it is but here is what it said.

"I found a guy on eBay, goes by the name bear's parts. 375 plus shipping got me a great looking body. Straight, sturdy, and warp free. Would I buy another?
    Yes!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

So I hope the member will comment here and post up some pics of it. If anyone has info on this company post it up.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

With my CCR body, I didn't have to do anything to it. NOTHING. No wood reinforcement and no adding glass for the windshield mounts. The thing is solid. Even the gelcoat finish was flawless. People mistake my T for painted all the time. They're expensive, but you deserve to at least check them out. You might be able to find a used one, like I did.

4. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks tfeverfred I will keep an eye out for one used or see what happens in the next couple of months. I have some time just getting opinions on companies out there.

My build wont happen until I'm done with this class and have a full time job. It will be fall before I start my build, but I may buy some parts and things here and there as I go and find what I like.

I need to list a bunch of Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fast Ford and a few other magazines on ebay. I bet it I sold each one for $1.00 I would have enough to buy the body, frame, motor and be on my way.

Now if I sold my Mopar magazines oh man would I ever have enough money to do a build........I just took a deep breath on that one not sure I can let go of the Mopar mags lol.

5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Have you worked out who to use as a body and parts supplier ?

6. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

It depends on who I buy the body from on who I might go with for some of the parts. If I order the body from Speedway, RPM, Spirit, or CCR then I will ask about the windshield frame. If I have it in my budget I may order that at the same time.

I wanted to kind of build my own windshield frame or at least design and see if I can get it made. I will do my own frame unless I can pull off buying a complete roller then I will look hard at doing that but really I would like to build my own.

HOTFR8 what is your sugestion on a parts supplier?

7. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Damn...that is one good looking T. My Rod and Custom that is featured in is one tattered rag.

[​IMG]

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Most bodies have to have wood reinforcement on the back and sides.

9. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Good to know that. I watched a video of speedways Tribute T and from the looks of it I can't see any wood in the back of it they used bomber seats.

I have so many plans to read over. I have the T Bird Bucket build, $3000 T Bucket build, Car Craft and I know a Hot Rod. I have collected a lot of stuff to read up before I do build anything.

I need to spend some off hours after class reading all that along with the HAMB.

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yeah, I think I can drum up some pics right quick.

*edit: I tried to post pics but for whatever reason the security code is lacking. Email sent with link.*

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  11. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I would lean towards Wintec and if you have spoken to Jim or made contact with Jim ask him his opinion of those you have listed as he does not make everything himself and has to buy from other suppliers.

Keen to know how you get on.

Here are a couple of photos of my T.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you and will check the email and see if I can get pics to post. Also thanks for posting in the thread.

13. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I will contact him and see what he has to say. I've talked to Wintec through facebook.

Great looking bucket what is the color of it?

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It is just a personal preference, but I like using wood to frame in fiberglass bodies. Wood has the same expansion/contraction rate as fiberglass so it can be glassed to it and you seldom have adhesion or cracking problems.

My 27 was glassed 25 years ago and has held up fine and my 23 (shown below) was still ok the last time I saw the car.

Don

[​IMG]

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Let us know how you get on please. As for the colors of my T. 1960's Falcon Colors Green Velvet Metalic and Merino. I prefer to call it a Roadster as it has a Turtledeck and not a short pickup bed.

Also you should contact Ted Brown here on the HAMB. (The T Guru).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=98721 Send him a PM or I have an email addie for him if that helps.

Ted does not post much so may not have seen this topic.

16. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Here are pics of the bodies that Bear from eBay builds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me what you guys think.

17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you that gives me an idea of what I would need to do. I have not seen one in this stage of build.

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks I will check in with him. I also really dig those colors.

19. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I just got an email back from Bear the guy on ebay and this is what he said about the body and shipping to my area.

The mold was made by us and we spent a lot of money and time making it as nice as we could. Shipping cost to you would be $175.00 which incudes insurance while in transit to you. That price is to a commercial dock near you not a residential address. We can find a location for you close to where you live. Good luck on your build and thanks for the interest! Bear

- barryd6364

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If that's the guy out of Minnesota, then I was mistaken as to the origins of his molds. I started seeing his stuff on e-bay not too long after M.A.S. closed down and was listening to rumors... But more importantly, I would be VERY happy with the body above in my shop! The detail lines all look correct, the glass looks very consistant, the shape is correct and I don't see any major warps or whoop-de-doos in the finish. As Don showed you will do some wood in that body to reinforce it, but the price even with the shipping is damn good stuff.

21. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you louvers! That was a lot of detail info I was looking for from the pics. Thanks man!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. A Boner

A Boner

Unless you are going to cut a door in the body, I say skip the wood. Rather than putting wood reinforcement in, I would think you could pay extra to have a few additional layers of fiber glass mat laid into the body. I'm sure the guy in Minnesota....."Bear" would do that, but some bigger company like "Speedway".....probably not.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know we all have our own ways of doing these things, but IMO laying up some extra layers of glass is not the way to go. Wood does more than strengthen the body, it provides a way to secure the upholstery. It give it an inner wall. If you use a quality wood and shape it to the curvatures of the body, then glass it all in place, you will have a body that doesn't flex when going down the road or climbing over the side.

Here are some of the steps you will be going through if you wood in yours:

They all kinda start out here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

Don you do some damn fine work , I really dig your builds ,

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thank you.....not show cars but fun to drive. :)

Don

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What's with the crown on the cowl of this Bear body? Never seen that on a Model T.

Attached Files:

27. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Do you mean the crease in the body? I was wondering that and thinking the body is put together in halves.

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I agree! You do really nice work.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's got them on the side of the cowl where it meets the cowl top, as well. Looks like a good body. I just don't care for those ridges. Matter of preference, I guess.

30. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Ok I see what you are saying and meaning. I was using my phone and trying to figure out what you meant.

I wonder if an original body has those lines? I could glass over them.