Register now to get rid of these ads!

My New Zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, May 26, 2013.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Can you make it bigger at least?

2. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I'm with ya Nads, we come from the same place....I lusted after these things as a kid, they were the closest i felt i was ever going to get to a 50's american car. couldn't believe it when I spotted this one on craigslist in Long Beach CA. Been following your Capri project mate. Its sick, that's another of my all time favorites.

still waiting for updates from 55Willys...what's up brother? did you get the parts car?

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yours is in great shape. It's easy enough to make a multi carb intake for these as they're just simple pipes. That Raymond Mays or Aquaplane stuff would be great to have but now that shit's gone through the roof.

These cars were giant killers back in the day.

4. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

That's super kool. I love the little foreign jobs like that and would love to get my hands on something like a Zef, Morris, Volvo 544 or something along those lines for a daily driver. Especially since gas is $4.30 per gal here and probably a lot more in other places. They make a lot of sense these days...The days of driving 50's and 60's American cars daily are gone unless you have a VERY GOOD job, not for the common folk anymore.

5. 55willys

55willys

Sorry for not posting more. I don't have a camera or a computer so I have to use friends (that didn't sound right, oh well) I will be picking the parts car up Saturday. Your cars look good thanks for sharing. I am going to get it drivable in the next couple of months. Right now I am so inundated with work that I can't seem to find time for my own stuff.

I would like to do a multi carb and split exhaust on it. But for now I need to concentrate on the brakes, clutch, and fuel pump. I will try to get some pics and post them next week. Thanks for the encouragement. And thanks again fastrnu!!!

6. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Great story, great friend...can't wait to see it. Those gasser are freakin awesome lookin!

7. 55willys

55willys

Went and picked up the free parts car today.:D Here are some pics. I got this one from the guy who owned mine 4 owners ago.

Attached Files:

8. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Wow, I've seen a lot worse man, looks savable. that was the stuff dreams were made of when i was a kid in the UK.....I'm sure its worse than it looks but good solid shells are hard to find for these in their homeland never mind here. Never the less its great that you have a back up for parts. looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

felix

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Parts car my ass, that's solid as a rock!

10. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Haha Nads, that's what I was thinking, just trying to say it softly :)

11. rld14

rld14

Hell,

I had one WAY worse than that, I got it running and driving.

These are pretty darn rare cars, I'd hate to see one die.

12. 55willys

55willys

Yes it is a parts car as far as the wife is concerned. Wink, wink, fingers crossed. I was looking at the parts car today and thought 3" section, 3" chop 3-4" stretch on the front doors, shorten 5", raise front wheel wells 2", and mke it hardtop. What do you think? I will try to photoshop a pic later.:D

13. 55willys

55willys

Do you know how much longer the convertable doors are than the sedan ones?

14. 55willys

55willys

I see that you have a new clutch master. Where did you get it?

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I hadnt noticed, It was in the car when I bought it. Ive only had it a few months and just put her into storage till the roadster is finished. There are various suppliers in the UK, NZ and I think someone posted a US supplier in this thread....

16. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

I was expecting another Zephyr... One way or another, they are such funny cars to look at. Wash it, do the brakes, drive it every day. I would.

17. davo461

davo461

If my old memory serves me correctly,they had a Girling master cylinder which was an absolute PIG to bleed.
    A complete new, diferent setup would be good imo.
    Best of luck; that is a car you Will enjoy.
    Davo.

18. restoreid

restoreid

Here are some more photos of our AUSIE Zephyr

Attached Files:

19. rld14

rld14

Kip Motor Company in Texas usually has most anything you'd need to keep a Mk2 Ford running.

That being said, its a good idea to watch eBay and... Oftentimes stuff is cheaper from the UK or Australia where these things exist in dramatically bigger quantities.

Oh, weren't the convertibles actually made by Abbots of Farnham or was that the Estates?

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The car's here, I can measure it for you.

21. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Restoreid, that's beautiful man. I'd like to get mine to look pretty much like hat, but with painted steels and period track tires. What motor do you have?

22. restoreid

restoreid

The car is not mine Mi son saw it in Brisbane at a car show it was parked in the street He said it had a v8 prob a small Windsor Looks mostly stock with nice wheels Dont get much better than that

23. 55willys

55willys

That would be great, thanks. Jim (55willys):)

24. 55willys

55willys

Are they hard to bleed because the outlet is on top and the line is the highest point? What master cylinder would you recommend?

25. Good score! nice "baby Customline"
    They used to squeeze 272's into them when i was a pup!
    I'm keen to see a Left hand drive dashboard set up for these.

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

55 Willys, the convertible door is 42" wide.

27. Scumdog

Scumdog

My Mk2 Zephyr had its front wheel brake-cylinders like that, whether it came from the factory like that or whether a p.o. had switched the cylinders left for right I don't know

But I do know they were a bear to bleed.

28. 55willys

55willys

Thanks Nads:D

29. restoreid

restoreid

Here's a pic of a Mk1 Zephyr that has been 2doored They never came from the factory like that but sure looks cool

Attached Files:

30. restoreid

restoreid

Enough room in there for a blown motor

Attached Files: