Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake/Tail Light/Turn Signal wiring issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adidasink, Jun 1, 2013.

1. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Ok, I know you all are going to provide me with 50 threads detailing this...so in advance, thank you....I tried my best at the search option...maybe today just isnt my lucky day.

Ok....on to my issue:

I have an EZWiring 12 circuit wiring harness...simple and basic right. Well aside from the crappy instructions/diagrams I have the wiring pretty much complete but am having a hell of a time figuring out the rear of the car...

I have an Oreilly's special...a 2 position light switch to control the lights being on and off..pictures attached...and dual filament bulbs in the back for brake/turn together

Here is how that is hooked up:
    Headlight power to the back of the switch
    Right Park to its own
    Front park across from it on its own
    Dimmer Power on its own
    Gauges & Dash together

And then there is the Turn Signal Indicator:

From the Signal Red to White on the brake switch
    From the Signal Orange to Yellow left rear turn
    From the Signal Brown to Green right rear turn

From the Fuse box Orange (brake switch power) to brake switch

Ok...so here is what happens -

Lights are off, brake switch is "on" so the brake lights are on, the left rear turn signal works but is slow, the right signal goes on just fine...same goes for when the brake lights are off....

Also when I turn the signal to the left...the front turn light blinks slowly like indicated above...but when it blinks off...it still stays on somewhat dull...the right hand side does not do this....

I turn the headlights on...no tail lights....

Just really frustrating...spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out...so any help/direction would be most appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

I'm thinking you need to check the ground on the left front bulb . get a circuit tester and start checking the tail light circuit starting at the fuse box and working your way to the back.

3. "right park on its own" "front park across from it on its own"
    Explain, because you are back feeding though the park circuit.
    You do not mention any grounds????
    Use a real headlight switch.......

4. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Can't have enough grounds. Make sure all your light housings are getting good grounds and make sure you have good grounds from battery and engine to frame and body.

5. F&J

F&J

I don't get what you mean by that..

Both park light "filaments" are not as bright as the signals. Those 2 park ones normally are powered by the same source.

RF signal filiment should be wired from T/S switch and only feed that side front, and usually the R dash indicator. Left should be the same but from a different connector in the T/S switch

Brake light switch "on" power, goes into the T/S switch. If the signals are off, the brake power then goes to both brake/signal filiments, but using a RT and L wire.

When the T/S switch is turned to one side, that side rear will blink, but not show any brake light if pedal is pushed, only the other side will show brake

6. F&J

F&J

..and, headlight power comes from H/L switch, then goes TO the dimmer switch. Then depending what position the dimmer is clicked to, the power goes to either Hi or Low beams.

Taillight power comes from H/L switch and goes to both tailights in a single wire.

7. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I know. I am ordering a better headlight switch.

I figured I was back feeding through the park circuit. I was grasping at straws near the end of the day.

I actually soldered on grounds for the tail lights to ensure that I had good grounds and always ground to he frame making sure to file down to bare metal.

8. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Ahh brake switch power goes to the turn signal switch. That makes sense...where do I wire in the brown rear park? Into the other side of the brake switch?

9. Park and brake don't go together. Brake lite on one wire. Park lite on another. Thus the two filament bulb. Brake is the bright one. Less bright is the park. Take a deep breath, walk in a big circle for five minutes. Drink one cold Dr. Pepper. Then look at your wiring again. It will be clear then.

10. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Yeah...not sure why this is being difficult for me, I actually enjoy wiring....but this one is frustrating as hell.

So to recap...I have the front's now working as they should, headlights turn on, blinkers flash...

Its the rear that is completely f'd up. I have 3 wires going to the rear of the car. RR Turn, LR Turn and Park. I have a brake switch plumbed into the brake lines. I have 3 wires for the rear coming from the Turn Signal switch. LR Turn, RR Turn and a red Stop. Finally I have the orange Brake Switch Power coming from the fuse box.

This is where I am just grasping at straws.

So here is how I currently have it:

1. Orange Brake Switch Power wire to Red Stop Turn Signal Switch wire with a wire going to one side of the Brake Switch
    2. LR Turn Signal switch wire going to LR Turn Signal harness wire
    3. RR Turn Signal switch wire going to RR Turn Signal harness wire
    4. Brown Rear Park wire going to the other side of the Brake Switch

This combo does not give me tail lights when the Headlight switch is on, brake lights work but one side is brighter then the other, right hand side turn signal works, left hand turn signal works, but is slow and not as bright.

11. 24riverview

24riverview

Numbers 1 and 4 are wrong, should be like this if I'm reading your color codes correctly. Also check to be sure you don't have the wires reversed on the left rear.

Attached Files:

12. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

As has been said already ... grounding is most likely your issue. I found that, when mounting `42 repop taillights on my `28 roadster: bulb receptacle was not well grounded to the reflector, which was not well grounded to the housing, which was not well grounded to the body/frame. Each light had to be "rebuilt" before my tail/brake/turn signal lights worked. Sounds simple, but that ground stuff is really important, and assuming that circuits will ground through the mounting bolts is often a bad assumption.

13. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Brown tail light wire should be on the headlight switch that feeds the front park lights, has nothing to do with the brakelight switch. You need a feed wire from fuse pnl the + side of the brake switch, then the - side of the BS to the separate stoplight. It seems like the turn signal is separate from the brake light?

14. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Finally got it. This forum comes through again. I guess I was slightly retarded

15. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Some days are like that!:)

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Grounds......... Check and clean them,,,they need clean bare metal.

4TTRUK