Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Big Wheel Starring Mickey Rooney - 1949

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, May 28, 2013.

1. No great movie in the wider sense, cheesy actually. But HAMB- wise? - COMPULSORY VIEWING -

2. So funny, just bought this movie, two days ago, awesome footage... Poor Happy!

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I like the pit stop where the drivers get out of the cars. Compare that to a 8 second pit stop of today.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That and driving while wearing a t-shirt, jeans and what look like loafers. Those were crazy care free days.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"I'll think about it...Hey, check the plugs, will ya, Red?" Mickey had 'attitude'...

There are 'Johnny-come-Latelys" that won't understand this movie.

But they never attended the early races, where fast-talking promoters pitted hot rods against dirt track sprints and flat tail Midgets, prior to CRA.
    Indoor Midgets up North, (Oakland & San Francisco) racing was in its heyday.

"But not as 'sophisticated' as today..." LOL Give me those days any day.

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Cheesy, cornball? Yeah, maybe a little but still one of my favorite movies of all time! I used my lunch money to buy a ticket to see it on my way home from school, must've been 1950 or so.

That's Dick "Whoa Nellie...."! Lane playing car owner Reno. He had a pretty active career in films long before KTLA's wrestling, jalopy races, roller derby, etc., etc. came along.

Enjoy!!

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Those were the days of real racing. No Corporate sponsors, white pants required in the pits and fist fights after the race. My dad took me to see it when I was about 7 years old and I was mesmerized. Maybe a little bit hokey but after all, it was 1949.

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wonder what that Mechanic is doing under that early midget...ain't much to work on down there, is there?

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "Spike Jones Special"? I never knew he was into racing, but who else could it be?? "Cocktails for Two"! :D

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Alan Heath was the actual driver of the 'four bits' midget and Perry Grimm was driving the 'six bits' midget.

Attached Files:

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Here it is at GNRS in 2010.

Attached Files:

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

14. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Still a decent seller for me and a well acted well scripted well shot flick for it's time period.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Fielded a Champ car also

Attached Files:

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Those were the days when guys like us could build a car and take it to Indy and if we qualify get into the show. I never could understand the white pants thing. If wore white pants in my garage they would be dirty in about 10 min. But they were the golden days of racing, days when you didn't need a computer to tune your car!

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Weren't the Spike Jones cars powered by Sampson engines? If so, there was a little going on down there.

18. toml24

toml24

You had to wear white pants so "The doctors and medical staff at the track could see blood on the driver or pit crew if they were ever injured."

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

toml24, Really, never knew that, but back then they did do some weird things.

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes they were, the Champ car engine was F. Lockharts old Daytona lsr engine IIRC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Never heard about the blood thing, but when I bitched about having to wearing whites they told me it was for better visibility for the drivers manuvering through the pits.

22. As I wrote, I find the movie to be entirely cornball...but that's why I love it so much. It's my favorite racing film.

Also, Mary Hatcher is HOT. A chassis like that and she can spin a wrench? Please!

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

This was the Sampson Motors car driven by Bob Swanson in the 1939 and 1940 INDY 500. Powered by the V16 MILLER engine that was in the Stutz Black Hawk Specal that Frank Lockhart was killed in on Daytona Beach. The car is restored to its 1939-40 appearance and is in the INDY 500 collection today. Bob [​IMG]

24. Me too.

25. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

My mentor in fine/small mechanics during my late teens would prefer to have a clean shop and white or light colored clothes or rags.
    "then i can see where the dirt is on the rags while grinding or lapping and i can see if you sit on your lazy ass or have your greasy hands in your pockets too much!" :) Can still hear his eccoes. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  26. This thread reminded me that I haven't watched this movie in a while. Popped it on last night. Great flick.

Always enjoy watching her try and be a lady in those high heels. Stick with leather jackets and jeans doll.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

First time I've seen it. I teared up at the end. I'm such a sap.

28. brady1929

brady1929

Gotta watch that