Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 48plysled

48plysled

Question on where to find these hollow door stoppers. After seeing them I am really interested in running them for my shaved handles.

2. farmer12

farmer12

I got them at Juliano's Hot Rods, part nr JU030500. The part itself is great, but getting the old assembly out and creating a big enough hole in the door is a bit of a challenge.(and time consuming)

3. 48plysled

48plysled

Definitely have some sweet products. I'm gonna order a set of the hollow stoppers. Really trick design. Thanks for the info buddy.

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh hell, I thought you made the new hollow ones from scratch. I'm so used to that approach from this build! lol

5. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Eli has a point. Through the entire thread, the only part I can remember you didn't modify, polish, or make yourself, was the broom handle to hold the hood so many times. They are awesome. Thanks for the info.

6. davo461

davo461

....and he would have made the broom handle from scratch,too, had the appropriate scratch been available!

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

lmao!

8. 1959apache

1959apache

i bet you 10 dollars that he physically turned the broom handle down on a lathe from a 10 foot wide tree. He hasn't denied that he made the broom handle, so it must be true. :D :D
    (this is how legends are made)

Keep up the good work Eric, its looking good... this little stuff is going to nickel and dime you to death.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Ok, I'll admit it, I did slightly polish the handle.(but that was a LONG time ago.)

You just lost 10 bucks Scott. (tree was only 4 foot wide.)

But getting back to the car........I haven't been working on it this week......the sun finally showed itself here and my wife thought it was time for me to "polish" up the garden. Even though it's starting to look good again, I didn't intend to spend my week this way. (happy wife, happy life). More car stuff next week.

10. farmer12

farmer12

I needed to create something to keep my engine management electronics together. I'm going to use the space under the dash where the glove box used to be. It's going to fit in there nicely while being out of sight.

Considering I'm nearing the end of fabrication on this car and didn't have any large pieces of metal laying around, I decided to use the piece I'd cut out of the trunk for the fuel cell. That's recycling for you!

After some thinking, measuring and hammering, here's the final result. :D

Attached Files:

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where are you going to put your AC? :)

12. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Fuckin sick. Kudos Eric!! :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. farmer12

farmer12

Rock, AC and the Netherlands are two words that don't belong in one sentence. ;):D We're happy to have dry and relatively warm days.

14. Look on the bright side, cold air makes more horsepower. ;)

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured as much. I can't live without AC in my area. We are worlds apart!

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rich!

17. Bart 56

Bart 56

When are we going to bring THE car to paint?!!!!!
    I say next week!!!!

18. farmer12

farmer12

I'm actually still waiting for the go-ahead from the body shop.......they're finishing off an old Porsche which has taken a little longer than expected. In the meantime, I've been doing a few small things to the car and cleaning up the garage. (once again.:D)

19. 1959apache

1959apache

What small stuff are you doing?

I think everyone is on the edge of their seat.

20. davo461

davo461

This is true!!!

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its been quiet with this build for awhile.Whats up?

23. farmer12

farmer12

It certainly has been quiet regarding the build the last two weeks. I've been out working in the garden every spare minute due to the "nicer" weather and the wife thought it was time for me to leave the garage and get some sand under my nails. Good news is that I'm back to work on the car again.:D

I've just received my parts from Summit, including all the hardware for my fuel lines. So it was time fit my fabricated part in the trunk. After a bit of measuring, the most logical spot was in the middle. The rear end is jacked up and the lines clear the pumpkin easily. More stuff tomorrow.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

24. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Nice work. Good to see your back it.

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Hogman. I'm about to go back in the garage, so by the time you wake up, I'll have fabricated something new.:D

26. bradshow

bradshow

What can one say about this build? Simply amazing work. The first few pages were gold for me as I plan on a M2 front end as well on the '46. I did skip around a bit but great job on the car. That thing will be sick when its finished.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you bradshow. Glad the m2 section was of help to you.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Next on the list was to make a divider between the trunk and cabin. I still had a (very) large piece of stainless steel laying around and decided to use that. It's 3mm thick, so quite heavy, but then again, a bit of extra weight on the rear wheels won't hurt. And in case of a rear collision, it will give added protection should the fuel cell explode.

The measuring, cutting and test fitting took up most of the day, believe or not. After I got close to the final shape, I hand filed it until I got it to fit behind the trunk drip rail. Also, instead of just big cuts for the hinges, I made two slots on either side for the upside down u shaped hinge. Final drilling/mounting tomorrow. (even though I did expect to finish it today....)

Attached Files:

29. farmer12

farmer12

After a lot of minor adjustments, I got the "trunk firewall" to fit. It came out looking good, even though it took me quite a bit of time. I think I'll paint it black instead of just another cowhide covering it. Happy with the outcome.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

Car and speed v8 like this.
  30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good again!
    Good to see that you are released from your garden prison:D
    I was planning to do something like that too,but with somekind of compartment for tools,liquids etc.that are usually spinning on the trunk floor on daily drivers.
    Keep it up!!