Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to run fuel lines from fuel pump to carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldtele, May 11, 2013.

1. goldtele

goldtele

I did use the search function but didn't see what I was looking for.

I'm running the fuel lines on my 50 Merc with a 351 SBF in it.

Question:
    Going from the mechanical fuel pump (Driver side) to the carb inlet (Passenger side)how do you run your lines?

-Rubber fuel line under oil pan to get to the carb inlet on the passenger side?
    -Rubber fuel line over timing cover to carb inlet?
    -Steel line?

Thanks for any advise or pics maybe I'm over thinking it but just wanted some advise.

2. 4rod

4rod

Well good question. Rubber over time will gum up due to the crappy fuel second I'd run the line under if you can maybe along your cross member

3. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Use a tube bender and make them out of steel with flaird ends and proper fittings. You will be happier in the long run.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

steel is best. the only place for rubber is where it may need to flex, like from the frame to the fuel pump.

5. Keep the rubber to a minimum !
    You'll need some rubber if you go from engine to crossmember and back to engine.

Try playing with some string for the best route.
    Look for places to clamp it, obstacles to dodge, and proximity to heat (avoid) and airflow ( get some) . A good place to mount a filter should be important too.

Chances are that the way the factory did it will be the best and easiest.

6. upspirate

upspirate

Use an old metal coat hanger to obtain a pattern to bend steel tubing (if you can find one)

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

They got pre-bent ones for 302/351. Do a search if you don't have a bender or flaring tool.

8. goldtele

goldtele

Great, Thanks! I have a flaring tool so so I'll stick with steel from the fuel pump to carb.

Over the timing chain cover or under the car then back up the other side?

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The ethanol turns the "rubber" hard as a brick after a while, best to make an all metal line or use braided hose which is alcohol resistant.If you are running an Edelbrock/AFB Carb there is this a dual inlet top available so you can run the line off the drivers side and plug the other side contact Edelbrock tech for a part number.

10. NEVER run that much rubber hose, it's only for flex points. Either run a custom hard line or find a carb that has a different inlet.

11. Also what rubber you do run, use fuel injection hose. It stands up to todays gas.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Run it in steel just like the factory has for years. My pump is on drivers side and carb inlets are on the pass side. Your local parts store will have steel line in either 5/16 or 3/8. A cheap hand held tubing bender will let you do a professional attractive job.

13. callcoy

callcoy

Make sure that any hose you use is printed with at least SAE R30J9 this will handle 10% ethanol. There are higher grades available but for 10% this is all we need, Flex Fuel (85%) uses a much higher grade. The R30J9 costs about $2.25-2.50 a foot friendly price. Do not use this hose to connect your in tank pump to the outlet tubing while under gas. The outside covering will turn to mayonnaise/taffy.

14. Larry T

Larry T

If you're running an Edelbrock, how about laying the line along the driver side valve cover until you get behind the carb and then over? That would work with a dual line Holley too. You could hook the fuel line up with the inlet to the rear.

15. stimpy

stimpy

or a a peice of gas welding rod as then you can bend all the bends in one shot , never run gas line under a motor in front of the cross member , something flys up and can catch it and then its merc flambe ! always over the top, or behind a support and as short as possible with rubber hoses with the pump to carb no need for rubber as there both connected to the engine block and move at the same time . and I never liked a rubber hose running past the distributor on a ford , many car burned up when the hose cracked . when they had the filter that screwed into the front of the carbs ,burned up a O/T 76 gran torino with a 2 bbl sbf when the connector hose split sprayed the fuel right into the vent of the cap .

16. For the like five bucks for a piece of line with fittings from a parts store why screw around. Run it up the front of the engine and then to whereever it has to go. It doesn't have to be perfect, if you buy one a tad too long just make sure it won't snag on anything.

17. D-man313

D-man313

If you ran it under the motor and back up the passenger side, would the heat from the header bake the fuel?

What about up the front of the motor, across the motor infront of the intake, down the passenger valve cover and into the carb.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. I hope within the last 3 months goldtele figured out his fuel line.

19. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

try to keep enough space between the steel lines and engine to avoid vapor lock after a hot soak.

20. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have been using high pressure fuel injection hose for flexible joint areas with two clamps on both ends.
    A double flare on the end of the steel line would be a plus.

It's easy to tell it apart from normal fuel lines, they sell it for $8 a foot!

21. tolo2go

tolo2go

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed how old this is.