Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. n847

n847

My thoughts as well but I already have the front hubs empty, and I need to replace the bearings and seals in the rear. I talked to Moser today and they will drill my hubs, axles, drums and rotors for around 250.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. Luke4554

Luke4554

Is he giving you the rubber as well? If not for $250 you're well on your way to a set of rims of your chosing without the pain in the neck of removal, transporting, and drilling your current setup.

Luke

3. n847

n847

Yep wheels, tires, the whole nine yards. I'm gonna hold tight for a week or so while he is waiting on his new wheels and tires and weigh my options and see what I might be able to find it trade!

4. n847

n847

I'm in a holding pattern waiting on my wheel seals and I was tired of doing yard work yesterday so I painted my steering column black...I still hate that column but a little black rattle can goes a long way. I also mounted the original switch panel that hangs under the dash. Its in pretty rough shape but so is the rest of my dash trim. I'll mount all of my switches (ignition, fuel pump kill, headlights, etc.) There. I dont like to have too many projects going at once but it keeps me interested when things slow down if I can see something change. I also bought a piece of trim for my gauge area since the one I have is kind of hacked. I'm going to pull that out and rewire most of the dash here soon. While thats going on I plan to repaint the dash and possibly engine turn the gage panel. The shows will be starting up soon and it's already burn out season so I need to get my ass in gear!

Attached Files:

5. n847

n847

I got kinda antsy last night so I stripped most of the junk off the dash I'll pull the rest of the glove box and trim tonight. It just kinda snow balled (I'm glad I stopped before the whole dash was on the floor). This will make the re-wire much easier and now I can send the whole gauge cluster and trim to my brother to tig everything together and get it all to fit the way I want it! I stripped the emblems and repainted them from behind. Then polished the crusty chrome. It will all need rechromed or replaced some day but thats way down the road. I also blacked out the screen behind the grill opening although it doesnt show in these pics! Next up I'll get the dash smoothed out for a rattle can respray! Then run all new wires and likely some new switches. I'm also thinking about making a cover for the lower half of the steering column to clean things up.
    I also need to figure out how to get new letters on the radio glass. I've got a few ideas we'll have to see what happens!

Attached Files:

6. Dude, the weather's getting better-you're supposed to be putting it together, not taking it apart!:eek:

Looks good though!

7. n847

n847

Yeah I know...Burn out season is upon us and I'm taking 2 steps back! But I really don't want to take it out of the garage with out some noticeable differences! Even if I'm the only one who notices them! I'm heading to eastern PA for the rest of the week for work, or I'd probably have most of the dash work done by Saturday. As it is I'd like to be close to finished by Monday! It will depend on what issues I run into with the wires? I think I have most of what I need but you know how that goes!

8. n847

n847

Oh yead did I mention that I'm thinking about throwing in an extra set of gauges on the firewall while I'm in there?

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good idea on pulling the dash cluster and all out. At least you won't be upside down for hours while trying to rewire your dash. Plus its easier to reach your beer.:D

10. n847

n847

Got the first coat of primer on the dash. A little filler to smooth a couple things out tomorrow and she'll be ready for paint. Then I'll taking care of the wire mess! In the mean time I'll be fighting off the urge to metal flake the hell out of the dash! I don't even know what color I would want to use so I'm sure I'll just go black! But I am tempted!

11. n847

n847

pic

Attached Files:

12. Luke4554

Luke4554

lookin' slick hombre

13. n847

n847

Thanks Luke! I got the first coate of black on the dash last night I'm hoping to get #2 on tonight, and some clear this week or weekend. I'd like to get the wiring knocked out by early next week so I can get the dash back together!

14. n847

n847

Got 3 slick coats of black on the dash and 1 coat of clear! I found another little hillbilly tech project to work on in between coats that I've been puttin off for a while. I'm adapting the factory radio to function an old ghetto ass knob to knob from an old OT Jeep pick up I had. I'm not trying to take full credit for this idea cause it's an idea Joeltorres here on the HAMB and I had talked about way back when he GAVE me the factory radio! He's good people!

Attached Files:

15. Nice looking had a coupe myself didnt get to build it was working on my 47 ply sedan when you own one you want more i had three at the time but yours is coming along nicely

16. n847

n847

Thanks Grinder...I love the sedans too and I think some day I might look for another coupe to chop and customize but this one is a family hand me down so I really dont wat to chop it!

Any how the radio adaptors look like they are gonna work out so I put it up on the shelf until I get the wiring started(hopefully soon) a buddy hooked me up with a piece of aluminum last night so I started to work on the gauge cluster. I have changed my mind several times about how I wanted to do this. I decided I wanted to make the panel removeable since I would like to switch to a black faced SW gauge someday. I was going to have my brother tig it in place but its too dificult to remove to trim from under the dash so I'm going to add some tabs to flush mount the panel this evening. I also ground the inside of the trim so the speedo bezel is under the stock trim since its a 3" gauge and the opening is only about 2 3/4". This should look much better. Once its all done I may try my hand at engine turning the panel but at this point I will probably just rock it like it is. I've got a few more pics but my phone died last night and I cant find the cord for my camera. I've actually already got all the 2" gauges mounted in the panel. So far its coming pretty nice, but we'll see how bad I can butcher it with that damned speedo! In the attached picture the panel with the gauges in it is the old one you can see how chewed up the trim is. As usual I'll have 2 days wraped up in something that no one will ever notice, but its what I see from the wheel so I want it nicer!

Attached Files:

17. n847

n847

I never posted the results of the radio conversion because I wanted to get it dialed in for the tech week thread. Check it out below.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8887104#post8887104

I've now gotten the dash painted, and the wires 90% straightened out under the dash. I finally got enough scratch to order the last of the parts for the brake conversion so I'm hoping to have it most of the way buttoned up before I leave for Georgia for another week of work on Sunday. So we'll see how it works out.

18. n847

n847

For those of you interested you can see more of the updates and some cool photos on my Instagram feed. Same name as here @n847.

19. n847

n847

Here's a few pics of how I spent my last 3 evenings! I've removed 16 wire nuts and about 5 yards of usless wires. You wouldn't believe how many wires were just hanging in there with the insulation stripped back and hot voltage to them! I'm hoping to wrap this wiring project in the next few days. My brothers had my gauge panel for over a week now but hasn't had time to really work on welding mounting tabs on it so I might have to get it back Friday and finish it on my own by bolting it together. I'm gettin antsy!

Attached Files:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yikes! I always cringe when I see wire nuts in an automotive harness. Glad you didn't have any problems caused by those bare, hot wires.

21. n847

n847

No kidding man I damn near laid an egg! I scored a killer fuse panel and distribution block set up today out of some scrap robot control panels...I think ist that DIN rail stuff? Im excited to get that mounted up and its fully expandible!

22. n847

n847

So pumped about how this is turning out! But again as I've said before I like wiring. These DIN rail components are the cats ass. The only problem I see right now is that I zip tied the bundle of wires and left out the 12v accessory power. These pieces are totaly expandable so I can just keep sliding on new fuses and or new circuits! All I have to do now is clean and tie up all the steering coulmn wires mount the switches and put the gauges back in! Oh and I'll add a picture of the wad of wires I pulled!

Attached Files:

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup DIN rails make an electricians life a lot easier, I've used them for years. Beats the hell out of drilling holes and screwing down individual components, especially in cramped controllers and equipment panels. As for the zip ties, they're cheap and easy to replace.
    Regarding your excess wiring, I'm glad you pulled that crap out. When I first bought the 1956 F100 that is my avatar in 1980 I didn't look closely at the wiring, concentrated instead on rebuilding the Y block and going through the brakes in order to get it on the road. Two weeks after I got the truck on the road an electrical fire from crappy modified wiring toasted the electrical system and damn near burnt the truck. Lesson learned big time.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  24. n847

n847

Well I'm still supposed to be getting the wheels from my uncle but I scored these 2 @ a garage sale today and honestly this is more like what I want to run on the back...

Attached Files:

25. n847

n847

If anyone else has any info on these wheels I'm looking to know more about how old they are. Look like 14x7" stamped made in mexico on the inside.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm guessing late '60s-'70s or so. They have the unilug pattern which I haven't seen for ages.

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yep, slots would look good on your car too. If I remember correctly you talked about raising the front up a bit also.
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

28. n847

n847

Yep thats the look! Maybe not quite as high in the front & thanks for the headers those might be on next winters project list!

Thanks as always Eli!

29. farmer12

farmer12

Those slots certainly look good Eli!

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks guys! I think that whatever combination of wheels will make this car look badass.