Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cragar SS fitment???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbrushguy, May 6, 2013.

1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Picked up a set of Cragar SS wheels for my buddy at a swap meet. The guy said they would fit 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern. When my buddy went to put them on, they had elongated holes but when you wiggled them around they did fit.
    It almost seems like this is a multi pattern design that would fit 4.75, 4.5, and 5.0 bolt patterns.
    Is this right? The washer on the shouldered or shanked lugnut hides the extra space when it's all together.
    I've had many fiends who've owned Cragars back in the day...but I never noticed this type
    of bolt hole.
    Thanks

2. Scott

Scott

yes, unilug

3. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

My Ansen unilugs have special spacers for the bolt holes.
    Cragars didn't need spacers?
    Thanks again.

4. Cragar uni-lug is only 4.5 and 4 3/4 dual pattern,,not for 5" bc

5. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

OK...but does it need spacers.

6. My guess is ,,,,unless you state what car your putting them on.who can answer for you???

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Can't believe you never saw any unilugs. I had a 57 once with 10 inch wide Cragars out back and some old American Racing style 5 spokes out front, also unilug. I had a heck of a time trying to find the correct shank lugs for the front wheels which is very important. The washers are also important so make certain you have the right ones so your wheel doesn't break off, which is what happened to my 57 because I didn't have the correct size lugs on the 5 spokes. By the way, I had the 57 back in the early 80s

8. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Sorry, I probably confused things. I'm talking about spacers under the lugs. Do you need anything to fill the spaces on each side of the stud?
    Thanks

It's a '67 Nova BTW.

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

no spacers needed...

10. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Heheh...By the early 80s, my streetracing days were over...hate to admit it.
    Thanks

11. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

my unilug cragars were for 4.5" 4.75" and 5". Used an oval washer under the lug nut, washer with a center hole was used for 4.75", other sizes used a washer with an offset hole turned to whatever end needed the offset.

Like these, one auction is for the centered and the other for offset.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140968230891

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140951515468

12. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Now that's what I wanted to hear. That sounds like my situation, thank you.

13. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Just an FYI those oval washers were for cragar SS wheels that had a machined seat for them to fit into. If you do not have that then I would use the standard cragar SS round washer. They are beveled and marked "wheel side" on one side so that they clamp the wheel down like a lock washer. Same deal, available center hole or offset, like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-CRAGAR-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb81e1985&vxp=mtr

This wheel has the machined seats for the oval washers, if it looks like this then get the ovals. If it is smooth and flat between the spokes then use the round washers.

[​IMG]

14. Scott

Scott

Mine cover all 3 bolt patterns

15. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

nothing as much fun as breaking the center out of an S/S wheel

16. Tell that to my cragars because they are 4.5" - 5" on 5.
    I assumed they were all that way.

17. Be sure to get the correct shank length lug nuts! With the washer installed they must not bottom out when tightened. They come in many lengths....

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's the problem I had with my 57 and that's why I avoid any rims with unilugs. Ain't no fun watching the wheel roll away from your car.

19. no spacers needed...unless .... you got wheels with the wrong backspacing