Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Banger books and manuals??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, May 1, 2013.

1. Just picked up a Model A and while I' mechanically savvy I know nothing about model A's specifically. I did a Amazon search and there is a ton of books available. Any suggestions on a decent manual?
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Ford Barn guys talk asbout a Les Andrews book a lot so I guess it is the current one to have. Bob

3. a brattons catalog is full of good info, exploded views, as well as parts.

4. Les Andrews has two "manuals"...Volume 1 is for stock Model As, and Volume 2 has a ton of hop-up and touring mods. I found one on "that auction site" and the other on Amazon, both ended up coming from the same seller! Great resources!

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

6. RussTee

RussTee

For modified motors you would have to go a long way to find as much current information as is offered in the banger basics at the start of each monthly banger thread right here on the H.A.M.B. A lot of time and effort has been put into these notes right from drawings to lighten flywheels to notes on fitting a t5 gearbox onto a modern performance banger motor this is current information on motors being used now.

7. RussTee

RussTee

haha Bigcheese327 bet me to it but seriously read them.

8. bonesy

bonesy

Bert's Model A has it for $36.00. Significantly cheaper than those other sources.

9. '68 C20

'68 C20
    from New York
    1. Speedsters

I have the book of Ford Model A Service Bulletins. Used at amazon for under 15 bucks. I use it constantly and is the very minimum reference you should own. IMO.

10. +1 for the service manuals and the monthly banger meet thread. Ford Barn is a good resource as well - but be warned, it's more restoration oriented.

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a lot of internet resources also. Cruise over to the Ford Garage or the Ford Barn. There is a lot of good information there on Ford A and B four cylinder powered automobiles.
    You are going to find out that there are at least two distinct model A Ford types. One that is out to make the car as much like they can to the way Henery had it come off the production line (or better) and ones that want to have fun with them. Not that we don't have a liking for origional cars.
    I've run with both crowds and believe me I've been cursed so many times for impeeding traffic with the bone stock car from the motoring public that it is a delightful change to be given thumbs up and almost hounded by the motoring public as you blow by them in the hopped up banger. I'd rather be snubbed (and secretly admired) by the purist. How boring....
    As suggested by RussTee H.A.M.B. is a great resource too.
    Welcome to Model A Fords and congratulations on your purchase

LJ

12. I ordered the Mechanics handbook vol. 1&2. That should keep me going for a while!
    Thanks,
    Todd

13. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

If you are interested in performance bangers, I am coming out with a how-to book on them. It includes chapters on building both mild and hot engines, compression, a little on transmissions and rear ends, etc. [email protected]

14. Sounds interesting. When is it going to be available?
    Todd