Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hate to post this air brush question........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Apr 26, 2013.

1. upspirate

upspirate

I'll put my helmet on for the beatings!!! (I did a search on here first and didn't find much)

I want to buy an airbrush/compressor & know nothing about them (or spray painting for that matter)

I'm going to paint my headers with this ceramic coating first, then just play around with the airbrush and use it for the wife's arts & crafts if she wants.

Coating I will use:http://www.eastwood.com/tlc-titanium-ceramic-coating-4-oz.html

Question is,I don't foresee using this much,so I don't want to spend too much for a top notch set-up. Will the Harbor Freight air brush compressor and one of their better airbrushes do this job and get me started to see if I really like air brushing,then move up to a better gun as I/we improve and decide we need it??

I suppose I could buy a drier,regulator for my garage compressor,but then I'd be tied to using it in the garage,where the smaller airbrush compressor would be more portable

Thanks for any help:eek:

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think a jamb gun would be a better choice for that size of project. The air brush wont put much of a mil thickness on.

3. Do yourself a favor and spend about 85 bucks on a Passche double action set with all 3 head assembly 1,3 and 5.

They have a wide range of adjustment,,you can use any compressor as long as you can regulate the pressure. HRP

4. What Danny said! [​IMG]

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I dont think an airbrush is gonna spray that ceramic coating without extreme thinning....
    But if ya gotta have an airbrush...buy a good one.....look at Coastairbrush.com and get an Iwata. If ya dont end up using it much...you can always sell it to an artist.
    Buying cheap tools is never a good idea....

6. upspirate

upspirate

7. upspirate

upspirate

I'll check there,thanks

8. indyjps

indyjps

If you wanna airbrush buy a decent one as suggested, for you headers why not buy the small harbor freight hvlp, no need to clean the ceramic out of it, just toss it

9. upspirate

upspirate

Yea, I probably should just buy a cheap touch up gun,but thought an air-brush might be kinda fun

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I bought a new airbrush at the SEMA show this year and I love it. It's a Grex. I have owned Iwata, Paasche and a couple of other over the years and this one is the best so far. As far as shooting your headers with Ceramic coat, buy a jamb gun. Harbor Freight has a cheap one that should do the job. An airbrush is an artist's tool, not a spray gun.

11. Your talking about doing two different task with two seperate sprayers. You will need a bigger gun than air brush for headers. A jamb gun fro harbor frieght will work. They sell a cheap air brush and air brush compressor. I've bought two when they had them on sale for 14.99. One worked well one didn't but after fixing bent needle and freeing up some seals it worked well. Get the dual action and not the real cheap one. And get one of those beginning air brush video's from Terry Hill or Mickey Harris or some one. And practice those dagger strokes.

12. I sold and repaired Paasche airbrushes for 30 years,,,American made and high quality,HRP

13. upspirate

upspirate

I ended up with a H-F Mini detail gun,a regulator for the compressor,and an adj valve and gauge at the gun.Just have to put it all together and practice some to learn.

I may still pick up an air brush at a later date for grins

Thanks Guys!!:)

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought an Iwata TR-1 and TR-2. Sorta filled in my airbrush void. It was a rare "2 for 1" opportunity though. No complaints...

15. sumner41

sumner41

josh is correct. buying cheap tools is never a good idea. in the long run cheap tools almost always cost more.

16. Strange as it sounds, if you have a Hobby Lobby craft store near you, they have good deals on high quality airbrush compressors and guns, Iwata and Paasche, back near the model section. ( also the store is a chick magnet). They probably have more model cars and airplanes than most hobby shops

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Don't buy one of those Harbor Freight air brushes unless it's going to be used RARELY on small stuff. It is impossible to use it for more than a couple minutes, the trigger is stiff, akward, and horrible.

18. upspirate

upspirate

Well when I get the urge to do an air brush, I'll follow all your good advice and buy a good Iwata or Paasche.
    This other gun will get this project done.....funny thing is that in the Tech-line coating video I just watched,it appeared they used the same H-F gun I bought.

19. Although I haven't done any serious airpainting in some time now I still have quite a few airbrushes.I can't comment on the Iwata airbrushes but from all I've heard they are a great tool with a very high price.
    I have Paasche(single & double action),Wold;Thayer&Chandler and a bunch of inexpensive ones and my favorite is one that was given to me:An Aztek 3000. An inexpensive brush,it has easily replaceable tips for different effects;can be set up to use with either hand;and requires minimal cleaning after use. For the occasional user they cannot be beat.

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

For what it's worth I did taxidermy for quite a few years ,All those fish you see on the walls have to have their colors painted on, used Paasche, badger, Iwata and some others , whatever you get make sure it's a double action, you'll have more control in your work , Tim Jones

21. upspirate

upspirate

For several different reasons I decided to drop off the headers and not learn to use a spray gun on this project with expensive paint.

I had wanted a brite silver color that you normally see, but the coating place I used only does black or grey ice...I chose the grey ice,and actually like it better than the brite silver....doesn't just jump out at ya and fits in better.

The rest of the system was rattle canned with Eastwood exhaust paint in the silver color

Attached Files: