Register now to get rid of these ads!

zoomies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studewoody, Apr 26, 2013.

1. studewoody

studewoody

can zoomie headers be run on a little over stock sbc how about what kind of baffles etc...

2. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

speedway has a cheap set that is very good.........

3. CAN they be run? YES
    WILL they make ANY power? NO

4. In my opinion they do not sound very good with a low compression kinda stock motor, especially with baffles.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

street or race?

6. Doesn't matter, on an unblown car, a collecter type header will ALWAYS make more power over a wider range. And since he said a little over stock it will sound like ass as well as look stupid :D

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Be sure to drill drain holes at the bottom of each pipe, or you'll get a freebie bath at start after every good rain. See the other thread for tennis balls / covers, also. Lots of dummies think they are ash trays. Gary

9. diggerrick

diggerrick
    from Ohio

I ran 2-1/8" zoomies on my 355" engine and they absolutely ROCKED - even with the pathetic 9-9.5:1 flat-top engine. Everybody thought it was a 12 or 13:1 engine.

The "internet experts" also told me it would never run on injected alcohol at that low compression. It ran 8.70's at over 150 mph with a mild roller cam.

Was I giving up power? Yes.

Was the "cool factor" worth it? HELL YES!

Make sure you have a decently lopey cam, though, even if it's a hydraulic flat tappet.

Oh, yeah - I had multicolored "splash bombs" in the pipes when not running.

And don't waste your time experimenting with pan-evac - it doesn't work. I capped mine off and ran the breathers to a Moon puke tank.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

They sound like crap with baffles. One of the guys we go to coffee with, just put them on his T-buckets. They are more annoying than anything else.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yea, get a THUMPR!!! Kewl!

12. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Thought i would add my two cents im a sound engineer by trade and know a bit about sound deflection. the easiest way to figure out what you like with the exhaust tone is build a set and experiment. I run a set on my 327 10.5-1 with a huge cam they sound awesome but they due pop and i made the entire setup including baffles from scratch 4 hours per baffle in machine work...

13. afaulk

afaulk

With a stock engine, think smaller tubes.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus