Register now to get rid of these ads!

major accident today, angels watching over

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4rod, Apr 11, 2013.

1. 4rod

4rod

so I start tearing out the rear end to fix some rust issues and clean up the axle, also, replace the leaf pack and add lowering blocks...got the jack stands set and was ready to start scrapping crap off the axle and wheel wells, I had lowered the leaf pack and taken off the lower plate and disassembled the shock...as I was under the car with my arm between the axle and body the leaf pack somehow gave way...the car dropped six inches pinching my forearm with the weight if the body on my arm and crushing it with the axle...of course no one was around, so I tried to leg the jack toward me...no go, so I fumbled for my phone and call 911...cops get there first, They wanted to deliberate on how to jack the car off my arm...I said, put the jack under the rear of the car and jack from the frame rail...after fumbling so more they got it right an jacked enough to pull my arm out...by that time the FD had rolled up, after some vitals and assessing my arm which was pretty crushed and needed x-rays several guys started asking about the car, standing back and admiring it...one guy even said "cool tires!"...gotta love this story...happy ending is no broken bones, just a mashed forearm...thank the Lord that's all...two hours later I started tearing out the engine...at least I wasn't under the car with one bum arm...CRAZY

2. Sixty-two

Sixty-two

Holy shit - lucky man! Glad you're ok.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yikes. Thanks for sharing and glad all is well!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Around these-here parts, the cops would have arrested you for reckless endangerment or some such thing. Glad you are alright.

5. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Glad to hear your ok, never can be too careful when your under cars ,i always shake the car to make sure it's setteled inplace i have seen jack stands on three lages

6. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Would they?

7. big M

big M

Thank goodness you're OK.

---John

8. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Hey thank God you're ok, thanks for sharing this story

9. One of God's specialties, protecting us from ourselves. Sounds like something that would have happened to me. Glad your OK.

10. ford495051

ford495051

Glad you're OK, that's right on the top of my "hope that never happens to me" list. They know me by my first name at the local ER.....

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank God you're OK. Others have not been so lucky. You can be as careful as you can be, but it only takes one time that you're concentrating on the job at hand and forgetting about the safety issues and BAM!

Thanks for reminding all of us.

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Do you have picks of the car that tried too take you,
    I might be doing the same in a little bit too my 55capri Glad your alright

.......Sent from Ar

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Glad to hear it wasnt worse, your lucky. BTW, how long did it take to type all that with one hand?:D

14. 4rod

4rod

Wow, Really? they would actually, cite for that an accident..?

15. 4rod

4rod

ha, thanks bro...well I'm an index typer...so, it always takes a long time

16. Under cars you cant have too many jack stands and I never remove the jack,,I just work around it if I have to. HRP

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew! Close one. Glad you're ok! I'm always apprehensive about being in the "pinch points" when a car is jacked up.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

HA! That's funny, and my wife types the same way. Please be careful. On one of the other threads, about what your father left behind to you; My dad was biggest on safety, couldn't stress it enought. Even when you try to be safe, accidents can still happen. Glad your with us!

19. zjerry

zjerry

Glad to hear your ok.,And no broken bones.

20. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

NO PICTURES! IT DID NOT HAPPEN!
    I've always wanted to say that.
    But pics would be REALLY cool.:)

21. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

You are one LUCKY man. Glad to hear you're OK (relatively speaking). Obviously could have been much worse. Drives home the point that if you're working alone, keep your cell phone within reach. You just never know when Murphy is coming for a visit.:eek:

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

God is Great!

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Glad you're okay!

24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

WOW! Glad you made it back in one piece! But you really went to the hospital had Xrays and were back working in two hours? Hell the hospitals around here take that long to get your insurance info! Seriously glad your O.K.

25. Damn Man! Glad your ok! You Know it could've been A LOT worse.
    At to get back on it? WoW!:eek:.

26. cayager

cayager

yea what the hell? you had plenty of time to snap a few pics waitin for the cops.:mad: seriously though that is bad . we always think this shit cant happen to us because we know what were doing,it must be the other guy. shows how quick it can all end. glad your ok anyway

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You had someone watching over you for sure. Life can change in a heartbeat, and you dodged the bullet on this one. Bet you are more cautious under the car from now on. :)

Don

28. Toecutter

Toecutter

I have an old set of 8" steel wheels. I lay them flat lift the car up until they can slide under the tires then bring the jack down. Gives me enough clearance to do just about anything without fear of the car falling on me. :D

29. 4rod

4rod

okey marvin...here you go...
    [​IMG]

30. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You Said it best, THANK THE LORD!
    KK