Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Antarctic Snow Cruiser, built between 1937-1940 it was intended to be used to drive to the South Pole. It was a spectacular failure, after being landed at 'Little America' on the Ross Ice Shelf it failed to move through the snow at all.
    The immense weight pushed the bald tyres through the snow to depths over 3 feet and the lack of tread resulted in them spinning and producing no forward movement.
    It was abandoned after the realisation set in that it was nothing more than a white elephant. At one time somewhere in the 50s it was re-discovered but once again abandoned for the same reasons. It is now commonly believed to lie somewhere on the bottom of the Southern Ocean after the Ice shelf that 'Little America' was on broke off. A common occurrence carrying the Snow Cruiser away until the ice melted.

I still think it's one of the coolest things ever built!

Doc.

4. How times change, politically incorrect.

5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

The product of the fertile imagination of a Professor E. J. Christie, this gyroscopic unicycle was supposedly capable of speeds of up to 400 miles per hour, although at the time of an article from the April, 1923 issue of Popular Science, it had yet to be tested. This monster was 14 feet tall, weighed 2,400 pounds and used what appears to us to be a Curtiss OX-5 airplane engine for power. On The Old Motor as aways we have the whole story behind this monster with plenty more of photos and details.

[​IMG]

6. fremont rugrat

fremont rugrat

In the closing credits of the movie "L.A. Confidential", Hop Along is shown riding a horse in a parade. He draws his Six Shooter and points it right at the camera. I thought the same thing, NOT politically correct today. No one thought anything of it then. They just cheered.

7. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

OX5 powered giant wheel?

I'd rather juggle wildcats.

8. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

That's Les Paul on the left, checking out a Gibson Les Paul.

9. Crest trailer Huse Family

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 1952 Deschutes County Fair Parade, Oregon

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Franklin Lake Campground

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huron Nat'l Forest, Michigan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huse Family Crest trailer, again

[​IMG]

13. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

[​IMG]

Yes, 1940 Mercury convertible sedan. They are rare but a few still exist.

14. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

If you are referring to Annette, she is not "about to die". Like nearly everyone depicted in this thread, she is sadly already gone. You have clearly stumbled upon the wrong thread if that bothers you. FYI, we are all in one stage of dying or another. Time is the fire in which we burn.

15. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

I hear what you're saying.
    Yet, what Mart was referring to was the kid falling from the airplane. I agree with what Mart is referencing, the sudden and tragic death of an innocent.
    Mart is a good man who most certainly understands the Fire/Time equation.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland Oh

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is talking about the pic of a person falling from a Jumbo Jet, a chance picture captured at Sydney's Charles kingsford smith Airport in the 70s.

Doc.

Man I am too friggin slow!

17. Regarding the Spohn coachbuilt Maybach photos, the design is from the historic aerodynamic engineer, Paul Jaray. Consider that this is in the early/mid 1930s and I think "ugly" shows a gross lack of appreciation for design history and for the Maybach marque, one of Germany's finest ever.

18. spooler41

spooler41

Sorry but any one trying to book a flight in a wheel well is pretty low on the" Darwin"
    list. A tragedy at best.

...................Jack

19. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

My apologies to Mart. I agree about the guy falling from the plane.

20. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Politically incorrect because they have guns or because the milkman is wearing a dress?

21. empire

empire

22. Ya, I know what that's all about. I lent a buddy my 64 Chevy cut down and when he parked it without putting on the parking brake it rolled into the lake; lucky me. What can a guy do; kick his ass, no he was a friend. So the moral of the story; stay the hell clear of people that have a black cloud following them around. Today thirty years later he's three hundred pounds and married to a swampier from Maine; not insult meant to the fine woman of Maine, and for the little Chevy. It's somewhere in the Rochester New York area.

[​IMG]

23. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Wow, I almost bought three of these last year that were for sale outside a storage building on my way to and from work!

24. PHPaul

PHPaul

We call 'em BMWs up here: Big Maine Women...:)

25. man, any idea what this 55 hit or what hit it? that is one hurt 55

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.