Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Apr 7, 2013.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

We just moved into a new neighborhood with about 50 homes. Everyone seems to be alike. Not one old car or even a motorcycle in sight. I don't think I'm going to fit in with my old cars. Any good advice for a outcast like me? Should I start off by doing a bleach burnout inferno?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I say yes! Man that would be fuckin funny.

3. Yeah, dude, that'd be so epic. :rolleyes:

4. Your neighbors can be a thorn in your side if you show your arse too much.

Generally if you don't act like a fool they will care less,,and keep all you junk behind a fence. HRP

5. jimstro16

jimstro16

smoke em if ya got em

6. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

become the fix it guy... at first i was treated like a leper...but after i got a few mowers started and used my winch to pull out some bushes...im the go to guy..they even watch my place for me..i loaned my trailer to a buddy ,while he was picking it up.the lady across the street called me with details about what was happening at my place...maybe you can convert a few to the dark side,,

7. GTS225

GTS225

Ummmm.....NO.....Keep a low profile for awhile and feel out the neighborhood. There's some teens and thier fathers that will gravitate toward you if you park your best ride outside, but it must be a driver.
    If there's some golfers, and you are one, try to get a foursome going, and provide the ride to the course.
    Slowly and gently, would be my advise.

Roger

8. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Now that's what I'm talkin bout! Man I'm pissin my pants.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!... And also the black sheep of "the family"...

10. Cerberus

Cerberus

Fly under the radar. Residents tend to be nosy when new people move into the neighborhood. If you act reckless, they will call the cops on you. Don't shit in your own neighborhood. You will only alienate yourself from the neighborhood and become the topic of gossip.

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

You know, I'm in a 62 home area. There are more than a couple of car enthusiasts here. I bet you'll find the same thing. It's the little boys with the two wheelers we have to put up with.
    Dom

12. Invite the neighbors over for a BBQ or meet & greet.
    Don't shit where you sleep

13. BRENT

BRENT

I say fly under the radar, why would you want to draw attention to yourself? All I can think of is that saying that goes like this "It's better to be considered an idiot for keeping your mouth shut then openning it and removing all doubt".

Brent

14. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Now we must all know he was just kidding right?

15. BTW,I was in the neighborhood long before most of my neighbors ever moved in,,I have been building and driving hot rods for 40 years or more so they are use to me.

In all this time we only had problems with one guy,,a real jerk that decided to take me on and sicked the county codes enforcers on me.

I won't go into the crap he created but in the end I won out and some of my neighbors that I don't know came to me with the information that he was giving homeowners a circular about my failure to follow the covenant,,which didn't exist when we established residence.

Most of the neighbors turned against him and he took a job out of state and all my problems went away. HRP

16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Everyone has play sets in their backyard and they wear helmets when they ride their bikes. I rode my JC Higgins around with my boys the other day drinking a High Life and puffing on a Cigar. Everyone looked at me like I was a serial killer.

17. bb55hrt

bb55hrt
    from Michigan

I used to be that guy with the loud old truck. But now I'm a model citizen since the biker guy moved in next door. He and his buddies didn't see my humor when I asked who's mom sowed the patches on thier jackets. They are far from being an outlaw club. They remind me of the movie wild hogs..... You know dorks.

18. tedster

tedster

Act like an ass get treated like one I reckon. Braggin about drinkin around the kids good job.

19. x2.
    Not only that, but they may bring you free car parts... or offer leads on projects... or be more understanding when you're making noise with your 4.5" grinder late at night.

20. OldColt

OldColt

Used to be an neighboorhood outcast back circa late 1970's.
    Would be tuning up my open exhaust bracket drag car & doing wheels up launches on my concrete driveway. This was usually on Saturday afternoons before towing to the local strip. One afternoon, the cops showed up and told me I would have to cease these activies. Had to resort to tuning in my basement with hastily installed header mufflers only ... lol

21. I am the Harley riding Hot Rod driving town chairman where I live its an agricultural part of Wis.the farmers here think Im crazy!!!

22. Once they find out you have a welder, your in.

23. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

. Well, I enjoy a cold beer and a cigar from time to time. Are you that real fat guy that lives across the street that keeps looking at my wife's ass? Hahaha just kidding. I'm exaggerating a little just trying to give you all a good visual.

24. elba

elba

No neighbors. I have a farm and it is so nice leaving my STUFF wherever I want to. No building codes on farmland either.

25. duckman rob

duckman rob
    from NW Indiana

while a bleach burnout inferno is always a good time!
    I'm in the same boat as Bulletproof1.
    Neighbors that roll their eyes or point fingers always seem to show up in the garage when their mower won't start or broke a mower deck wheel off and need the welder fired up. Or it snowed and they ask," do you have your plow on the truck". Now I have 4 or 5 of their house keys just in case something would arise while their gone or the kids lock them self out.
    So I guess you just have to make the best of it and fly under the radar.

26. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Doing a John Force burnout down the street will only serve to piss off the neighbors and since they have the ability to make your life miserable, I recommend you don't shit in the nest. If I'm leaving early or coming home late I like to ease through the neighborhood as quietly as possible (my cars are loud). The only time there was an issue is when a neighbor was entertaining and I set all their guests car alarms off when I came home from cruise night...

27. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I'm the outcast in my neighborhood. For one Ive got the only family with young kids on my block and I'm young enough to be most neighbors kid. I was surprised the other day when my "prick" neighbor asked if I was building a hot rod or a street rod. I told him my plans for my 31A and we ended up having a decent talk about how he upgraded the brakes on his 32 Chevy and so forth when he was young. Shocked the shit out of me. To keep the piece I stay quiet and work on my stuff in the closed garage as much as possible. I might have gained an old hotrodder as a helper. Will see as time passes how nice he stays.

28. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yup, I'm the outcast: :D

[​IMG]

My neighbors don't care for the noise. I guess I would understand more if I worked in the garage all day every day or late into the night, but I got this one at 10 in the morning... :confused:

Anyway, the way I survive is acting apologetic and nice. I do favors when I can and behave myself, even if I don't get the same reaction in return. It seems to work most of the time.

It was either kill them with kindness or write "go to hell" with Roundup in their yard... :rolleyes::D

29. F&J

F&J

My advice, make plans to move if you don't feel like you fit in.

I ended up in the richest town in eastern Ct in 03. Surrounded by new developments of McMansions. My place was a shack that was one of maybe 4 house on that road before they ran out of decent land for new homes. That area was always crap land, wet, poor drainage, but the dumb yups didn't know that when they bought.

I never fit in as a single parent with a tiny house and some cars hanging around, as I worked on other peoples cars there.

I hated it. I felt like they hated me and my house. Their kids never played with my son.

Stayed 4 years, sold at a big profit, and moved to a busy state road surrounded by common people. I love it here, traffic noise and all. The guy across the road does show car painting, and every 3rd house has some side business going on.

It's being where you feel at ease.

30. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Lot of kids around. I just hope my boys can make friends. People sure Arnt the same as they were when I was growing up. I've made some contact but find most have really poor social skills. I'm forty and would say the average age of the hood is late twenties early 30's. We've only been here about a month. Yesterday was the first nice day this year. I guess I'm a little scared. My cars haven't been out of the garage yet. I just hope they like me.