Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Black will do it...

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Progress. Rebuilt entire front end. King pins, shackles, tie rod ends and all the hubs. I did not blast the brakes yet as I wanna make sure they all fit right. Everything together and fits great .. Tomorrow is the rear end.... I still need to split the wishbone yet also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

This is such a cool build. I am enjoying following it.

4. Mart

Mart

What are you going to use for thrust bearings on the kingpins?

Mart.

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

mart,
    good eye! i guess i should have showed a few more pics of later on... i had to chuck the king pin in the bridgeport and mill a nother notch for the holding dowel... these pins are for a 37 spindle. they work great on a model a and they have no ball socket at the top. however on a 37 the thrust bearing goes underneath the axle... so the fastory dowel notch is too high up to fit the trust washer on top the spindle like a factory a, so i just marked it and cut a new one 180 degrees off of the factory one, and a little lower on the pin and it works perfect.

6. frenchjack

frenchjack
    from france

cool project, subscripted :)

7. Mart

Mart

The top washer is only sort of peened on on these kingpins, as it only normally serves to hold a dust shield. You will need to come up with something stronger as the whole weight of the front of the car hangs on the kingpins. You'd be better off with A or any other pre 37 pins and cut the socket off the top if necessary.

NealinCA and others have used slim torrington bearings beneath the axle with success, that may be another option.

Digging the build, it's coming on well, Love the blower on the flatty.

Mart.

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks for the advice. i may even tig weld a 1.4 in thick top to the pin. as i already have the pins and there new ill make them work. no big deal. i was unaware that they were that style. i was going to use model a pins but i didnt like the hallow tube. now im rethinking that. :confused::eek:

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

On a fresh note, off topic to the model a Build.. I sat down and drew some parts for my new mail box,. all steel.

[​IMG]

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Got all my shackles in today... Used the spring spreader and got rear end assembled .... I could care less if I ever have to do that again ..... Dangerous.. Got it under car and all fit up and bolted in .. Rolled it outside to get some sun and try a front fender.... Looks like a four inch drop axle is coming .... Way to high!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. shane85

shane85

i love it killer car dude!

12. Not trying to rain on your parade, but are you happy with the amount of metal left between the bolt holes and the upright section of your rear spring hangars? I know this is a regularly done mod, but personally I would be happier with the whole thing welded to the bell, as well as bolted. There's a lot of forces at work on that rear-end, particularly if hard cornering or encountering pot-holes, and there's not a lot of metal left once it's been cut off the original bell. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.....
    BTW: a great build, I love it.

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Constructive criticism is what makes a builder better... You bring up a very valid point.. I was slightly worried about the amount of cast left over.. I did alot of research on it actually.. What got me was if you look at the brackets speed way and so cal sell, there 3/16 and 1/4 cold rolled, non tempered china steel... Mig welded to a nine inch ford usually by a guy who doesn't understand heat and penetration. I feel a little better after seeing that ... I have had many bad experiences with welded on an axle housing or tube with out it being in a jig, so I rule that out... The only thing I thought a out Doing was using a high nickel rod and build it all up just for strength .. But I'm ok with it the way it is... I feel comfortable with its strength and its durability ... Thanks alot for the comment , it's something that needs to be fabricated and bolted on. May look info designing something like that :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  14. them shots looking real nice. drop axle will look dope, you gonna leave a little rake to it or even it out?

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm gonna reverse eye the front and change the axle. Will drop it about 4" total in front and I'm gonna go 2" in rear.

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Today's progress:
    I managed to finally get the torque tube cut down and also the driveshaft. Got that all buttoned up and installed. I left the center bearing. It Fits great .planning on fitting the pedals tomorrow and get the wishbone changed out to a 36' style. That way I don't have to split it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

neat car and build, that's cool you're leaving the finish that it has-as far as the wheels-I'd say black, but you could have one of the photoshop guys on here photoshop some options for you. Keep up the good work.

PS: if you decide to weld those spring brackets on the rearend, keep in mind the heat involved will most likely pull those tubes off some.

18. lwrthnu07

lwrthnu07
    from Gurdon, AR

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

The only thing I thought about doing was un bolting the spring hangers and building them up with nickel rod in my stick welder for strength

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man...you've been moving right along on your coupe. Lookin' goooood!

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Heck, I thought they were painted - so maybe silver?

Black would look very good too, or perhaps a '40s factory Ford color with the original-type pin striping. I love the contrast of fresh rolling stock against an aged body.

22. Great progress, I think a cream, brown, maroon or something like that to compliment the burgandy would be more fitting. JMO. With all the pics you have you could do some renderings on the computer.

23. I like the super charger.

24. "The only thing I thought about doing was un bolting the spring hangers and building them up with nickel rod in my stick welder for strength"

Thats the least I would do lots of action and stresses on those pearch's
    great build by the way!!! maybe even a 1/4 plate on the outside edge over the top ni rodded on...........<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Moved it outside to clean the garage, figured I would take some pics being as it was 55 today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Coming along nicely...great build.

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I picked up some more parts from Dave (carter). Got two 36' axles and a wishbone to give me some drop and some length so I don't have to split the wishbone , new fender braces cause mine are cracked to hell, few other odds and ends.

[​IMG]

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm back to the fuel pump stand.... Dave did me a huge favor and gave me a new stand.. It's alot shorter than the original and the casting around the breather tube is smaller in diameter on the outside. It bolts on and clears the firewall with no problem!! Ah ha... Bout damn time! After a little heat the breather tube popped right out. I will not be able to just slightly miter cut it to lay forward. I will have to extend it 2 inches up and lean it forward about 20 degrees . That will make my breather clear the firewall and it will look correct..... I threw the old temporary breather/oil fill in the dumpster, as everytime my wife comes out she giggles and tells me it looked like a dick sticking up. So bye bye to that thing ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Made a little progress today. I spent alot if the day riding the wheels off my harley enjoying the sunshine.. Beautiful day! I got the breather all done. Used the original tube and added a bent extension to it. Welded it up, glass beaded it and you can't even tell... Also made some progress on another small project of mine. The model a mail box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

another thing i am going to start in on is getting the roof panel cut out. they did a terrible job welding a filler pannel in... it was done many many years ago. so im trying to slowly trim it out and grind down the welds to be able to remove all the remnants of the old car hood they used to fill... i think if im carefull it will come out nice. i plan on buying a ribbed roof fill panel or even putting an original style cover back in it. i like the look of mr. bass's coupe with how the roof is on it. i need to find some pictures of guys who have installed a top. i belive the rbs around the opening are ok, and someone didnt hammer them flat. we will see...